Why Are Some RCCL M&M Roll Calls Very Active While Others Are Ignored?

kicker

Having been on these boards for six cruises over the past four years, I find it interesting to see the different levels of response to M&M threads. I can understand some being popular because many members of a group might all be involved, but I don't see any real pattern - its more hit and miss. I had a theory that short cruises had fewer participants, but that's a general rule, not set in stone. My next cruise will hopefully be a 9-day Enchantment OTS, but the M&M thread (so far) is very quiet. My theory on this one: maybe a lot of first-timers, since the cruise is out of Norfolk?

Any other ideas, or what experiences have you had?

It really has to do with who is going on the cruise. Are they more techincally savy?

If my parents would book a cruise, I don't think they would even realize there is a message board, just because they are not into technology as much.

Figure on any given cruise you can get so many different cross sections of people. Maybe on one cruise a group of 50 are going and they get all their friends involved. The next cruise only families with kids or couples mainly.

It is the same thing as to why some people would stop and help a stranger and other would walk right by.

I wouldn't be surprised if some college student is doing or has done a paper on it or something similar

I agree with the above poster, it has alot to do with who is on your cruise and which ones love to be involved vs those that choose to hang out. Samthing applies to clubs, you have the doers and the sitters.

Our last M&M sadly one young lady who never posted, came to the M&M, sat in the corner. Many didn't even know she was there including myself until someone asked me about her, Unfortuantely we were ending so nobody went over to get her involved.

On some roll calls, there are professional chataholics, I call them.

Take for instance the Explorer Roll Call for Jan 24th. Almost 10,000 posts.

There is one person on that roll call that had almost 100 posts in the last 24 hrs alone. Another has almost 60

Hi there!

Fancy meeting you here!!!

It's January 14, by the way.

Maybe counting all those post numbers

got you confused...LOLOLOL:D:):p:):D

It seems like a lot of chatter on these roll calls should be personal messages. Do they have PM's on this site?

No PM on CC. It is available on some of the sister sites...agree sometimes that would be better.

I would say 100 posts by one person in a single day in a single thread is a bit much. That had to take at least 2 hours to write all those posts....what else do they do? :eek:

To OP...some cruises are taken mostly by folks who don't know about CC. In fact most folks don't know of CC....

My upcoming cruise I give as an example, departure is from Colon, Panama...will not be that many from the USA on the ship, we will be a minority, as it is marketed mostly to South and Central America. To that end, unless those folks spend as much time as North Americans do surfing the net and finding CC etc...they just don't see the thread. Would be nice if a bunch found it and signed up for the M&M...

Also, some people like to come to CC to get information about the various cruiselines, not to meet there next best friends on a cruise. We were on a cruise in Oct/Nov that had a very active roll call. It seemed every minute of the sea days were planned by those who were actively involved in the roll call. Onboard I heard there were fighting factions within the group and it turned pretty ugly. Sorry, that's not my idea of a vacation.

Also, some people like to come to CC to get information about the various cruiselines, not to meet there next best friends on a cruise. We were on a cruise in Oct/Nov that had a very active roll call. It seemed every minute of the sea days were planned by those who were actively involved in the roll call. Onboard I heard there were fighting factions within the group and it turned pretty ugly. Sorry, that's not my idea of a vacation.

Ya gotta be careful. I've heard and read the same reports.

Some roll calls are pages long, some aren't. Many times on the longer ones there are the same 3-5 people chatting over and over. Length doesn't always mean a lot of people are participating.

The cruises from the US have much more active roll calls than those from Europe. I'm sailing on 2 cruises from Europe in the summer and no-one has started a roll call for either of them yet, but the cruise I'm taking in April 2010 from LA already has 2777 posts - unfortunately most of these seem to be chit-chat between a few members so I haven't wanted to butt in :o

There was a very small roll call for our cruise from Europe last year but a really big one for the one from Bayonne. Maybe us European are more reserved ;)

Howdy Gang!

OK...being one of the "professional chataholics", as it were

from the aforementioned rollcall...I can tell you that

most ppl on that particular rollcall know each other

from sailing the same week, same ship on previous sailings.

Be as judgey as you would like...some ppl are just

more prone to making cruisey-friends and having

a good time on rollcalls than others. Nobody is meeting

their next best friend...LOL I am not sure that was

meant as a joke...funny, funny!

Not everyone is going to be like yourself...there is room

for everyone on here. No need to make snap judgements,

name-call or anything like that...it's just not nice.

I hope you all have a great day...happy posting!!! ;):D

hehehe

Having been on these boards for six cruises over the past four years, I find it interesting to see the different levels of response to M&M threads. I can understand some being popular because many members of a group might all be involved, but I don't see any real pattern - its more hit and miss. I had a theory that short cruises had fewer participants, but that's a general rule, not set in stone. My next cruise will hopefully be a 9-day Enchantment OTS, but the M&M thread (so far) is very quiet. My theory on this one: maybe a lot of first-timers, since the cruise is out of Norfolk?

Any other ideas, or what experiences have you had?

It's the people...:D

The most active roll calls that we have participated in have been our transatlantic and our repositioning cruises and on those, a lot of valuable information has been shared about ports of call, the ship etc. Also on most of those numbers of the people have arranged pre-cruise lunches or dinners and organized several onboard activities (gift exchanges, slot pulls, bar crawls etc.) Anyone who signs up for the meet and mingle but doesn't participate in the roll call will probably be lost at the Meet and Mingle since they won't know anything about the people they are sailing with or have any reason to seek them out while onboard. Most of our active roll calls have resulted in well attended and fun Meet and Mingles.:)

I used CC for the reviews for YEARS before I ever found out about the message boards and roll calls.

People on my roll call may well consider me a chataholic, although I've never posted 100 times in a day. Mostly because I don't have that kind of time or that much to say! But I love it when the roll call is active. We're down to 7 weeks and a couple days until embarkation and I'm finding it hard to contain my excitement. I'm sure that's why a lot of the active roll call members post frequently.

It's not so much that we are chataholics, but rather that we are cruise-aholics and it's great to be able to share with those who suffer from the same addiction. Other people in our lives just don't understand how much our cruise vacations mean to us.

I'm currently experiencing a rough patch in my life. My upcoming cruise is keeping me going day-to-day. I know that in 7 weeks, I'll escape for seven days to paradise! Ahhh...

Some people work to live. Some people live to work. I work and live to CRUISE!!! :D

I used CC for the reviews for YEARS before I ever found out about the message boards and roll calls.

People on my roll call may well consider me a chataholic, although I've never posted 100 times in a day. Mostly because I don't have that kind of time or that much to say! But I love it when the roll call is active. We're down to 7 weeks and a couple days until embarkation and I'm finding it hard to contain my excitement. I'm sure that's why a lot of the active roll call members post frequently.

It's not so much that we are chataholics, but rather that we are cruise-aholics and it's great to be able to share with those who suffer from the same addiction. Other people in our lives just don't understand how much our cruise vacations mean to us.

I'm currently experiencing a rough patch in my life. My upcoming cruise is keeping me going day-to-day. I know that in 7 weeks, I'll escape for seven days to paradise! Ahhh...

Some people work to live. Some people live to work. I work and live to CRUISE!!! :D

Great post!

I hope your rough patch smooths out for you very soon.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!:)

...I too have had a very rough spot in my life; and I too am looking forward to another

great adventure in July..the planning and the anticipation really do help..

..as for the lack of M and M roll call participation; check out another thread I started..

basically sharing good and NOT SO GOOD experiences after meeting a M and M member finally in person.

Some real good reasons to NOT participate for some, and some great reasons TO...

I notice my Mediterrainian cruise out of Southampton is pretty slow; I assume there will

be alot of Brits; yet they are pretty active on CC too...It's still early but the sailing is filling up quickly.

Mitch

Archived