7.3 earthquake hits Haiti

Sue L

So they'll just sail all their passenger full ships into Labadee each day and have them unload boxes & boxes of food, water & milk, is that it?
And I'm sure that the ships just happen to be carrying extra boxes of food, water, and milk -- things that they hadn't planned to need for their current passengers.

Really, this idea is kind-hearted but not realistic.

What IS realistic is that all the world-wide relief agencies will help, and we as Americans support those agencies in numerous ways: through our taxes, through donations, and more. These agencies have methods and people ready, and they are better equipped to help than a cruise ship. We'd be more wise to donate to them.

I'm sure it wouldn't take much to divert ships to Labadee to off-load bottles of water and long life milk and tinned food and if needs be restock in San Juan.

The Haitian Government are requesting an Hospital Ship.

jj.....

While that sounds easy to do The cruise industry is there to make money and I have a feeling that while I wouldnt mind volunteering to help in a mass casualty situation since I that is what I do best and was trained for and sacrifice my vacation to help others I feel the majority would probably complain how they are on vacation and dont want 'Theirs' interupted

In past situations after a hurricane Ive seen the cruise ships im on drop pallots of goods to help the area

The USHS Comfort is preparing to mobilize to the area but that is only a 1000 beds so there is will be alot of field hospitals setup

But they can also provide drinkable water to the area which will help in a couple days

The Coast Gaurd is first responder and is on point

The USHS Mercy I think is still in San Diego and wont deploy

Here is a link the RCI Presiden't blog post about the situation in Haiti. In it he specifically states that they are reaching out to aid organizations about using ships already scheduled to call at Labadee to move supplies.

This is a life and death situation-and everyone should do whatever they can to help.

http://www.nationofwhynot.com/blog/

Having just looked at a series of pix from the area and then coming here, I am amazed at some of the comments here. This thread should not be about politics or your like or dislike of a poster.

People, if you want to help, don't wait for RCI or any cruise line for that matter to tell you what to do or what they are doing. The biggest aid you can provide right now is to donate to an organization you trust.

Wow, that's incredible if true.

Nobody knows how many are dead. The numbers, ranging from "thousands" to 100,000 to 500,000 are being said by people who are guessing and should know better than to make such an ill-informed statement. When they know, then say. Until then, what is wrong with the truth - "I don't know."

I'm sure it wouldn't take much to divert ships to Labadee to off-load bottles of water and long life milk and tinned food and if needs be restock in San Juan.

Is this a serious statement? Do you really not understand how difficult this would be?

Listen, I am not taking anything away from the very serious tragedy in Haiti. It is a very sad, sad event. However, life goes on for everyone else. People who want to help, which includes me, should donate through the proper means. The rerouting of cruise ships to assist in the humanitarian needs of the people just is not feasible, and would create more problems than it would solutions. Leave the cruise ship routes alone.

If RCCL wants to transport donations, they can do so by ships already scheduled to call on Labadee. RCI and X are there almost daily. And this is only if they have the land side logistical support to ensure the donations actually get to those who really need it. Even in good times, there is a lot of corruption in Haiti. Now, it is almost a state of total lawlessness.

Yikes....they are saying maybe 100,000 dead.

Good grief.

Nobody knows how many are dead yet. They are guessing. The people who are saying this should know better. When they have an accurate account, then they should say how many are dead. Until then, they should say the truth, "I don't know."

Thank you coxswain for listing the organizations! The Haiti earthquake is a human tragedy beyond belief. In my opinion, we all need to give whatever we can, be it $10 or $1,000, or anything at all. Latest news says it will be extremely difficult to account for the death count. I don't know why, but this has really affected me in my comfortable Wisconsin surroundings. I hope everyone understands the phrase "There for the grace of God, go I" - meaning this could have happened anywhere. The 6.5 quake in CA could have been much worse. I just keep thinking of the people buried under the rubble! Please everyone, have a heart - which it seems like all of us here do! I know everyone and all the organizations and all the cruise lines will do everything possible.

Thanks for listening.

Lindsay

The cruiselines do not need to deliver supplies. The US Military and many other organizations that are prepared for emergencies like this are all headed there to help. The cruise industry is not equipped to deal with these types of situations and there are plenty of organizations that are. I know someone in the Army, posted in NC, heading to Haiti with his unit to help out. He's also getting ready to head overseas to a war zone later this year. I see a major knee jerk reaction that is political and doesn't belong in this thread or any other concerning humanitarian efforts.

The cruiselines do not need to deliver supplies. The US Military and many other organizations that are prepared for emergencies like this are all headed there to help. The cruise industry is not equipped to deal with these types of situations and there are plenty of organizations that are. I know someone in the Army, posted in NC, heading to Haiti with his unit to help out. He's also getting ready to head overseas to a war zone later this year. I see a major knee jerk reaction that is political and doesn't belong in this thread or any other concerning humanitarian efforts.

While we probably have differing political opinions that absolutely don't deserve discussion at this point, I totally agree that this needs to be left to the experts--the military and others who are trained for this. If the rest of us can help with our donations, that's great. Otherwise, unneeded "help" is only getting in the way. Let's just hope they can get there soon and get them what they need. What I'm seeing on TV is just devastating and heart breaking.

The cruise lines do give supplies when they call on the port

While we probably have differing political opinions that absolutely don't deserve discussion at this point, I totally agree that this needs to be left to the experts--the military and others who are trained for this. If the rest of us can help with our donations, that's great. Otherwise, unneeded "help" is only getting in the way. Let's just hope they can get there soon and get them what they need. What I'm seeing on TV is just devastating and heart breaking.

You have no idea what my political opinions are so I'm not sure why you said that.

I agree. The American Red Cross is one scandalous organization. The only people they're looking to help is themselves.

Ive volunteered many times over the years to the ARC

Ive worked side by side with them during mass casualty situations

What makes them scandalous??

You have no idea what my political opinions are so I'm not sure why you said that.

I'm sorry. I made an assumption based on how you said it. But you know what happens when you assume. :o It wasn't a judgment on you at all, l swear. I was agreeing that it wasn't the time to bring politics into it.

ETA: Actually I totally misread what you wrote. I'm really sorry!

I agree. While the suggestion was made with good intentions, it is no place for a civilian cruise ship to be - leave it to Relief Organizations and the Military, people who know how to deal with catastrophic damage.

I agree. While the suggestion was made with good intentions, it is no place for a civilian cruise ship to be - leave it to Relief Organizations and the Military, people who know how to deal with catastrophic damage.

They will be pulling into the pier at Labadee almost everyday between RCCL and Celebrity so they shouldnt drop off supplies or Fresh water??

They do at other ports they pull into when there has been an earthquake or hurricane

That is good will and what is wrong with that

Ive volunteered many times over the years to the ARC

Ive worked side by side with them during mass casualty situations

What makes them scandalous??

Let's just put it this way: the money doesn't always go the right place.

I've heard it many, many times and from people directly inside or closely affiliated with the organization. To hear it one time is enough, I would never give my money to that org.

Let's just put it this way: the money doesn't always go the right place.

I've heard it many, many times and from people directly inside or closely affiliated with the organization. To hear it one time is enough, I would never give my money to that org.

I didnt see anything personally so I will keep on Volunteering as I am trained for these situations and took a hippocratic oathe to help save lives I worry about the people not getting proper care because of a couple employees stole money and people afraid to donate

BTW they just donated $200,000 to Haiti relief efforts

I didnt see anything personally so I will keep on Volunteering as I am trained for these situations and took a hippocratic oathe to help save lives I worry about the people not getting proper care because of a couple employees stole money and people afraid to donate

BTW they just donated $200,000 to Haiti relief efforts

I understand and respect that very much, but you asked the question and I answered honestly. There are always going to be good and bad people anywhere. I've just heard it too many times and I think it's crucial for the money to go to the right place. For me, it works to use another org.

Hello again from the Freedom. I just wanted to clarify, what I said about tendering the Haitian crew back to Haiti. After we couldnt go to Labadee yesterday (because of the rain, this was before the earthquake), we went out to sea and just anchored there. We were in sight of land, I don;t know what it was. I meant tender them from there, not all the way from Jamaica today. Oh well, maybe not feasible, but, I just feel so bad for them. I haven't run into any Haitians today and I saw a lot of new crew coming aboard in Jamaica, so, maybe they did do something. Please guys, stop fighting, it IS pathetic, either help these people or go to another forum. We're in Grand Cayman tomorrow, I'll let you know if there is more news then....Maureen

Archived