Recent cruisers - Need Seapass and Passport??

Sherri, can't speak for others, but I would be very uncomfortable with my passport being taken away. I've never been on such a cruise; don't know if I would take such a cruise. I can't think of any justification for a cruiseline doing so.

Is such a practice still in existence in today's world, or is this a past practice? If still done, I'm surprised that travelers accept such a condition. I'm surprised a cruiseline would still have such a policy & possibly chase away paying customers.

What does that ship do if a passenger refuses to relinguish their passport? Is it no cruise then?

As I just posted, I was pretty upset about this when I checked in for the cruise in Honolulu. The lady at the check-in counter left the passport with me, but when we got to Sydney I had to give it up. I had a serious chat with the Customer Relations people that they need to make sure this is clearly stated in their cruise documents, because if I hadn't had that copy of my passport with me I would not have had any picture ID at all with me in port all around Australia. The Customer Relations person asked why I didn't have my drivers license with me, and I informed her when I travel I use a passport, when I drive I use a drivers license, and I don't drive in foreign countries.

I agree, and now if I do an extended trip outside the US I will get a passport card to go along with my passport, so I have one or the other with me at all times.

Pasport card is good for North American Travel

I think Russia is over in Europe:D

The copy is so you will have your passport # for replacement in case of emergency

Thanks for the geography lesson...:D..Sorry the spaces didn't make it appear to be a separate question....:rolleyes:So...Question # 1. What is a passport card ?......Question # 2. Any idea about Russia ?

Sherri I am in Indiana too!! Go Colts!!

We have our Picture IDs, DLs for entry to the pier generally, seapass for ship security. Luckily they don't require pic id for our 2 children under 18 yoa, so their passports can stay in the stateroom. We lock our passports up. We are off to Europe on the Brilliance this summer and are planning on the old money belt, but that is harder to accomplish with a tankini?

pcur, to partially answer your question...In all the traveling I've done, I've ALWAYS been told to carry a copy of my passport (which I really never bothered to do either) and keep the original one safe (more or less, haha) in the hotel. If I was mugged or simply lost my purse, I'd be quite SOL since my passport would be gone. However, the chances of getting a catastrophic injury and missing the ship, in my eyes, are slim to none.

I spent five months with five other Americans living and working in Shanghai. You better believe that I didn't go to that job, nor to bars at night, with my passport on me.

I was working in Germany and our passports were taken away from us for well over a week so we could get Russian visas. No one had a problem with this because no one went to work carrying their passports, surrounded by people who could SO easily steal them.

Even in cRaZy communist China, no "authority" ever ran up to me and insisted on seeing my passport.

And all of THAT is why I never carry my passport in lovely St. Thomas, lol.

:)

If I was living and working in another part of the world for an extended period of time, and my passport was in jeopardy, I would do the same.

However, I only use mine for travel, and if I was to get stranded in a foreign country I would need the proper document to get OUT of the country, and a copy doesn't cut it. Keeping a copy with me in port is like guaranteeing myself that if there's an emergency, it's gonna be a WORSE emergency 'cause my passport isn't there with me to get me on that airplane. I would be looking at trips to the (hopefully) U.S. embassy, hotel cost while waiting for the replacement, and all on top of whatever poop that fell on me to make me have to stay in the first place! I know that the cruise ship will do everything they can to find my passport and leave it with the dock agent if it was in my cabin safe, but that adds another layer of "eek" to the whole scenario.

So, while traveling I keep it with me in a safe place on my person.

I even checked the travel advisory web site for the U.S. (cannot remember the official name of it), and even THEY say it's a big debate whether to keep it with you or not. To each his or her own.

pcur, to partially answer your question...In all the traveling I've done, I've ALWAYS been told to carry a copy of my passport (which I really never bothered to do either) and keep the original one safe (more or less, haha) in the hotel. If I was mugged or simply lost my purse, I'd be quite SOL since my passport would be gone. However, the chances of getting a catastrophic injury and missing the ship, in my eyes, are slim to none.

I spent five months with five other Americans living and working in Shanghai. You better believe that I didn't go to that job, nor to bars at night, with my passport on me.

I was working in Germany and our passports were taken away from us for well over a week so we could get Russian visas. No one had a problem with this because no one went to work carrying their passports, surrounded by people who could SO easily steal them.

Even in cRaZy communist China, no "authority" ever ran up to me and insisted on seeing my passport.

And all of THAT is why I never carry my passport in lovely St. Thomas, lol.

:)

I would agree with not carrying it if all the authorities had to do to get the original was go to a hotel. But if the ship has sailed (with your passport "safe" in the safe, that won't work. And then you are up that proverbial creek without a paddle.

I guess you don't buy insurance. If you have never needed medical help or had to be evacuated, why bother? Because, since it's never happened to you before, it can't in the future. Right?

We all need to do what makes us comfortable. There really isn't a right or wrong way to do it.

We have our Picture IDs, DLs for entry to the pier generally, seapass for ship security. Luckily they don't require pic id for our 2 children under 18 yoa, so their passports can stay in the stateroom. We lock our passports up. We are off to Europe on the Brilliance this summer and are planning on the old money belt, but that is harder to accomplish with a tankini?

Think of it more this way: what would you want your children to have with them if they got separated from you in a non-English speaking country? That's what you want to take off the ship.

I've been to Italy several times, and most of them don't speak English. They drive like maniacs and have train strikes which mess up all the transportation in the local area.

It's not what's required of your children; it's what will identify them that I recommend you have with them.

Let me give you an example from my own experience. Our first cruise in the Med. We hired a private driver with two other couples to go to Rome. We arrived at the Vatican, went through the museum, Sistine Chapel, etc., getting separated from the others. But, we had a meeting place in St. Peter's Square at 11:30 AM. Came outside and since it was Wednesday, the Pope was having outside mass. The place was a crush of people, and the square was cordoned off. We were inside the square. We spent 45 minutes frantically searching for our friends, only to find they couldn't get in because of the security blockage.

I was just about to start figuring plan B: how to get back to the ship; what to do if we can't get back in time (it's a 1.5 hour drive from the port; let alone train or bus in a foreign country).

If I hadn't had our passports with me, we'd been SOL, big time!! Luckily, we found our friends and the driver in time.

Thanks for the geography lesson...:D..Sorry the spaces didn't make it appear to be a separate question....:rolleyes:So...Question # 1. What is a passport card ?......Question # 2. Any idea about Russia ?

The passport card is for NORTH AMERICA travel only it is only good for cruising or land entry not for air entry If you wanted to drive to Mexico or Canada it is used in place of your Passport

OR say if you were in St kitts and wanted to hop over to St Nevis next door on a boat you would just carry the passport card not your passport

I carry it everywhere I travel as it is a photo Id an lasts longer than a photo copy of my passport

I havnt been to Russia but my freinds went there 2 years ago on the Splendor and they carried a copy of their passports first page

Sherri, can't speak for others, but I would be very uncomfortable with my passport being taken away. I've never been on such a cruise; don't know if I would take such a cruise. I can't think of any justification for a cruiseline doing so.

Is such a practice still in existence in today's world, or is this a past practice? If still done, I'm surprised that travelers accept such a condition. I'm surprised a cruiseline would still have such a policy & possibly chase away paying customers.

What does that ship do if a passenger refuses to relinguish their passport? Is it no cruise then?

I guess the big question is - what does a passenger do who misses the ship? Does the cruiseline reimburse him/her for the lodging/food/other expenses while waiting for a passport replacement? It wasn't the passenger's fault that he/she did not have the passport.

I was uncomfortable with surrendering my passport,but it has happend on several cruises with the most recent being the South American cruise on RC in January, 2009. But we weren't given a choice, and I don't know what would have happened if we had refused. My guess is we would have been refused boarding. And I don't know what would happen if you missed the ship. I somehow doubt if the cruise line would feel any responsibility. After all, missing the ship was not the cruise line's fault. ;)

Sherri:)

The passport card is for NORTH AMERICA travel only it is only good for cruising or land entry not for air entry If you wanted to drive to Mexico or Canada it is used in place of your Passport

OR say if you were in St kitts and wanted to hop over to St Nevis next door on a boat you would just carry the passport card not your passport

I carry it everywhere I travel as it is a photo Id an lasts longer than a photo copy of my passport

I havnt been to Russia but my freinds went there 2 years ago on the Splendor and they carried a copy of their passports first page

When my passport expires I'll ask about this in addition..I'm assuming then it's the size of a DL ?...Glad to hear what I thought was correct about Russia..Thanks for the info....

My passport was taken from our rental car in France when we were visiting a chateau when I was 10. The trunk was broken into and only my bag with my passport was taken. It was a nightmare to replace and that was France and we had a friend who worked in the Embassy. My dad still talks about it. I now carry a copy of my passport with me, as well as copy scanned to my e-mail and sent to my parents and brother. What if you lost your passport just while wandering around or what if you get mugged? Depending on what port you go to, that's more likely to happen than having something catastrophic happen. You just have to take into consideration where you're going.

Also, in Nassau in December, they definitely were checking picture IDs at the port.

GO COLTS!!!!

Same state, same city

And didn't you just love today's sunshine and warming trend?

Sherri:)

I guess the big question is - what does a passenger do who misses the ship? Does the cruiseline reimburse him/her for the lodging/food/other expenses while waiting for a passport replacement? It wasn't the passenger's fault that he/she did not have the passport.

As I just posted, I was pretty upset about this when I checked in for the cruise in Honolulu. The lady at the check-in counter left the passport with me, but when we got to Sydney I had to give it up. I had a serious chat with the Customer Relations people that they need to make sure this is clearly stated in their cruise documents, because if I hadn't had that copy of my passport with me I would not have had any picture ID at all with me in port all around Australia. The Customer Relations person asked why I didn't have my drivers license with me, and I informed her when I travel I use a passport, when I drive I use a drivers license, and I don't drive in foreign countries.

I agree, and now if I do an extended trip outside the US I will get a passport card to go along with my passport, so I have one or the other with me at all times.

We've had to relinquish our passports each time we've cruised Australia/NZ (we've done it twice) and also when we cruised around South America (we've done that twice also). We didn't like it..........but we had to do it.

It is not RCI that is making you turn your passport in at check in, but the country/countries that you are visiting. When Customs and Immigration boards the ship, those passports better be ready and available for them to check.

Each foreign country you visit has their own set of rules and regulations that each person visiting must abide by. It's either RCI collect all passports on cruises where required and have them ready for the authorities...............or..............you keep your passport and then present yourself at each and every port to the authorities. That process usually starts very early in the morning and can take a very long time.

It is the size of a DL. They say to keep it in it's special envelope... which I've done, not sure what happens if you don't.

When my passport expires I'll ask about this in addition..I'm assuming then it's the size of a DL ?...Glad to hear what I thought was correct about Russia..Thanks for the info....

Archived