Going to Labadee Tomorrow

aprilfool

I'm sure that Labadee will have relief kiosks there where pax. can directly drop money off. At least that money will have made it to the actual country without having to go through all the admin. charges that happen donating from the USA.

Just keep in mind that over the years a lot of U.S. money has made it to the island. That doesn't guarantee that it gets used for what it was intended.

Theron, thanks for posting tbe map. It reinforces what I knew from having been there twice and what I've been reading online about road conditions. One article I read pointed out the difficulties of getting supplies from the undamaged airport in Santo Domingo to Port-au-Prince because of the road between the two cities - the two capitols of the two countries on the same island. It is a set of conditions that I can't really grasp from my advantages here in the US.

I can understand that there are people who feel as though they can't get off the ship in Labadee. I still think you should. You are in a position to do something right now that I can't - offer direct funds to a resident of Haiti. Get someone to set up a beach chair for you even if you can't sit in it. Tip the person more than you normally would because your tip will help keep that person's family going.

I am reminded of the parable like story I heard once about a beach where a multitude of starfish had washed ashore. A young girl had just picked one up and thrown it back into the ocean when someone approached her and asked what good that would do when so many of the others would die. Her response was "it made a difference to that one."

Another point about Haiti and cruise ships is that Port-au-Prince was once a busy cruise port.

I have read that the Haitians really miss the cruise business from that port- so it is beneficial to have some cruise business going on.

Also, if people are on cruises which go to Labadee or pass by Haiti- they can have a quiet day and not party if that feels more respectful.

How is it more respectful for you to enjoy all comforts of the ship (which now docks) instead of the comforts of the island a 500 yards down the pier? Do you really believe the average resident of Port-au-Prince will be making that distinction?:confused: I'm guessing they have other things on their mind.:rolleyes:

If you are that worked up about it, the only sensible thing for you to do is cancel the cruise and send what refund you recieve and moneys you would have spent to the relief effort. Let us know if you intend to take this approach....If not plesae expect no sympathy for your "moral and ethical dilemia".

WOW! I didn't think the poster was looking for sympathy for their "moral and ethical dilemna"... rather, I read the post as expressing their own personal feelings about getting off the ship in a few days in Labadee...

IMO, there's a big difference in the decision between getting off the ship a week after a major disaster and deciding to get off the ship say, three weeks from now... I might make a different decision if I were sailing next week as opposed to next month... but that's just me...

Will the Haitians make that distinction you mention? No, you're right, they do have other things on their minds... and I'm guessing that YOUR definition of being respectful isn't too high on their list right now either....

I also didn't see that poster's comments as being "worked up"...

That is that poster's comfort level... obviously, yours is different but I think you went a bit overboard in judging the posters feelings about their situation...

Each of us approaches a moral dilemna differently based on a variety of variables... to question someone's approach, thoughts or decisions regarding this situation in the way that you did is well, disrespectful... according to my moral upbringing at least... Until you have walked in someone else's shoes, you just aren't qualified to be judging, suggesting or making moral decisions for them...

If anyone is scheduled to be in Labadee over the next few weeks, I encourage you to make your debarkation decision based on your comfort level... afterall, at the end of the day YOU are the one who has to live with your decision...

I'm surprised that the college and religious fourth World assitance groups that were there before the quake hit are all leaving.

I would think they are need most now. Unless security is that bad.

I remember telling a family member that we were going to Haiti on the 'Labadee Extravaganza' cruise and he was aghast that a cruise ship, with all it's wealth and over indulgent passengers would call on such a poverty stricken nation. I then told him what Labadee was all about and how it employed Haitians, etc. He still was't convinced. The funny thing is, since then, his comments have stuck with me and I do question large corporations who find real estate that is cheap in order to increase profits but then, I'm pretty much a capitalist in believing that the free market allows all of us to make decisions based on our own personal value system.

I would be upset if I had booked and paid for a cruise that was going to Labadee now, only because a vacation is supposed to be free from stress and worry. Knowing myself, I would be very sad to be there. It is just a terrible situation and bad timing for those who are booked on a cruise vacation that is calling on Labadee. But to pass judgement on any passenger who still wants to enjoy themselves while there, I think is wrong.

As to RCCL, they are a corporation who is in the business of making big profits and Labadee is part of that equation. Personally, after listening to Bush, Clinton and Obama this morning, I would like to see them do a monetary matching donation like NCL more than donating supplies, but I have to believe they are doing what they can.

..should all of the "fatcat" cruise companies pull out (Jamaica is a good example)

because of....well...because we don't want to rub our relative prosperity in their face?

Oh, and in the meantime take our money with us; and make those who depend on those

"fatcat" cruises for thier livelihood even MORE poverty stricken?

Folks, this isn't logical.

Mitch

Each of us approaches a moral dilemna differently based on a variety of variables... to question someone's approach, thoughts or decisions regarding this situation in the way that you did is well, disrespectful... according to my moral upbringing at least... Until you have walked in someone else's shoes, you just aren't qualified to be judging, suggesting or making moral decisions for them...

If anyone is scheduled to be in Labadee over the next few weeks, I encourage you to make your debarkation decision based on your comfort level... afterall, at the end of the day YOU are the one who has to live with your decision...

Excellent words! Thank you for putting into words what I feel! :)

The RCI website contains information about current RCI relief efforts, including pictures of the Independence of the Seas docked at Labadee while relief supplies are being off-loaded from the ship.

Question: I did not know that Labadee had a docking facility. Cruise passengers have always been - and, according to the posted itineraries, continue to be - tendered to the mainland. Does anyone have information about the docking facility? is it new?

The RCI website contains information about current RCI relief efforts, including pictures of the Independence of the Seas docked at Labadee while relief supplies are being off-loaded from the ship.

Question: I did not know that Labadee had a docking facility. Cruise passengers have always been - and, according to the posted itineraries, continue to be - tendered to the mainland. Does anyone have information about the docking facility? is it new?

The pier was build last year and put into service about 2 months ago. This is no longer a tender port. Tendering people on Oasis would have probably not been feasable.

Actually our itinerary says docked as of a couple of weeks ago. The dock was finished and opened in Dec.

Also, today or three weeks from today makes no difference in how affected the people of Haiti are. It will take months, if not years to begin to rebuild. All groups are asking for CASH donations because they can do more with money than with clothing donations that have to be sorted through. You wouldn't believe the crap that people "donate". The only people that seem to have a problem with bringing income to the island are a very few posters on here who as someone described them are "citizens against virtually everything".

The pier was build last year and put into service about 2 months ago. This is no longer a tender port. Tendering people on Oasis would have probably not been feasable.

Thanks for the information. I didn't know that a new pier was there.

You wouldn't believe the crap that people "donate".

I agree. Somewhere in this thread, or one of the other ones, someone mentioned donating soccer balls. Really? That would be great during any period of relative normalcy in a country like Haiti, but could you imagine having your house destroyed, family killed, you're hungry, you've got Cholera, and you are given a soccer ball?

I realize the intent was good, but this just emphasizes how money is the thing to give, not items.

... Each of us approaches a moral dilemna differently based on a variety of variables... to question someone's approach, thoughts or decisions regarding this situation in the way that you did is well, disrespectful... according to my moral upbringing at least... Until you have walked in someone else's shoes, you just aren't qualified to be judging, suggesting or making moral decisions for them...

Amybear912, you said it all right there!

If everyone cancelled their Labadee cruise and RCI cancelled it too, would it be beneficial to Labadee? :confused:

Actually port calls to Labadee are a very significant source of revenue for Haiti.

How do you know that? Please provide an authoritative source to verify that fact. Representations made by Adam Goldstein, or by anyone else associated with RCI, are certainly not conclusive and may not be accurate.

How do you know that? Please provide an authoritative source to verify that fact. Representations made by Adam Goldstein, or by anyone else associated with RCI, are certainly not conclusive and may not be accurate.

Port charges are charged to every person on that ship for every port they stop.

In watching the Norwegian special on MSNBC, an average sized ship (2000 passengers) will hand over 250K, just for docking in Honduras. While the $ value varies by port, you pay to go to these places and that money is given to the government.

So, yes, it is good to dock there.

I'm surprised that the college and religious fourth World assitance groups that were there before the quake hit are all leaving.

I would think they are need most now. Unless security is that bad.

Our group just returned on Sunday.

http://www.fox23news.com/news/local/story/Volunteers-Recount-Humanitarian-Trips-to-Haiti/3lo2tW8tH0CtGmF_yjpuQg.cspx

Archived