"Naughty room" for 2 airplane bottles of rum!

sprockie

The primary purpose of inspecting baggage should be safety. Calling people down over tiny airplane bottles and their sunscreen speaks of an unhealthy and unsafe fixation with finding alcohol. Would they fail to notice twelve sticks of dynamite in someone's bag because it didn't look like alcohol?

I would hope they are watching for truly dangerous and evil things and are not too preoccupied with petty alcohol.

Suitcases are scanned for contraband. Alcohol is contraband...just like other items that are prohibited.

On our trans-Atlantic cruise at one port (I think it was Cartagena), they were giving away miniature bottles of some local "licor" as people were getting off the ship to sightsee. When returning to the ship--yep, they were taking those up that people had put in their totes and purses that were going through the scanner.

For those that say "rules are rules" why is it o.k. for RCI to selectively enforce rules yet it isn't o.k. for others to selectively follow their rules. I am talking about rules RCI has posted regarding pool lounge saving, theater seating saving, evening dining dress rules? Seems to me, they can pick and choose what rules they want to enforce, why can't we pick and choose what rules we want to obey? The street runs both ways.

Tucker in Texas

The plain fact is......most people follow rules....many others don't.

It comes down to someones personal compass.... Some recognize that, while rules don't always make sense, they are there for a reason and are clearly posted. Others only obey the rules they like...with total disregard for rules they don't.

Unfortunately, those who don't sometimes make consequences unpleasant for those who do.

Ah, humanity at it's best....and worst.

<P>Isnt it shocking in todays modern society the methods that people will go just to take their own special tipple onboard a ship, mouthwash, suncream, miniture bottles or even rum runners ! Good grief using grannies, nice old ladies to smuggle your drinking stuff onboard ! </P>

<P> </P>

<P>I would never contemplate suggling alcholic beverages especially in these types of containers as you are going to get caught later you have to move with the times and adapt. </P>

<P> </P>

<P>On my last cruise we had an endless supply of booze, the catheter bags I purchased worked wonderfully !!!... Oh and the wine boxes, ditch the box and ensure that the bag inside is non metalic type!....</P>

<P> </P>

<P>Yes Im one of the naughty ones who smuggle and if some people have a problem with that they I suggest that they get a life ! I dont chair hog, I dont misuse the elevators (Lifts), I dont jump queues, I dont have an electric scooter and I most certainly dont pee in the pool !</P>

<P> </P>

<P>All I have to say is 'Bite me'</P>

<P> </P>

<P> </P>

<P> </P>

Smuggling and chair hog threads are always fun!

On Liberty last year the woman was complaining they kept her suitcase in the naughty room took her iron and left her bottle of wine

The no booze carrying on board for control saftey issues is bull, we all know it is about the $$$$$

They could still make money by selling alcohol bottles in the shop and letting you have it in the room and selling the mixers.

I refuse to pay inflated prices of alcoholic drinks, if they lowered to reasonable prices, I feel that others would tend to buy more also.

I know Celebrity is doing the alcohol drink package, I feel Royal is soon to follow, but the price is still high

Work with us here cruise people.

What is there to work with. It's RC's company, their ships and they get to make the rules and set the prices as they see to stay in business and hopefully make a profit. They also don't have to explain their reasoning as to why they have the rules or policies they have, or how they choose to enforce them. So what if it all has to do with $$$.

You get to make your own choices as well. Follow the rules or, break the rules and face the consequences or, find somewhere else to spend your $$$ if you don't agree with them.

It's that simple.

My mother, who is 76, just got off the Grandeur. She went to the naughty room to retrieve her bag over 2 miniature (ie. 2oz) bottles of rum. Now that's getting petty.
If I were going to smuggle small amounts of booze in these days, I'd just put them in my pocket and go through the big scanner. It detects metal not plastic or alcohol.

Some folks on their moral high horses are just a bit too much to bear. It must be awfully lonely up there in that tower.

Some posters seem to think bringing personal alcohol onto the ship is a moral defect and those people should be - I'm not sure what consequences they deem appropriate - walking the plank, excommnicated, prosecuted or something. They even implied that if you speed, roll through a stop sign, or commit any infraction of any rule or law you are morally inferior to them.

What bull hockey!!!!

I live in a small community with a posted speed limit of 15 mph. I have lived here for 10 years and I can probably count on both hands the number of times I've seen anyone drive the speed limit through my little community. Does that make me, my family and friends, almost all of my neighbors, their friends, and lost tourists morally inferior to those posters living in the ivory towers?

I don't see a problem with people bringing alcohol on board if that is what they want to do. I don't hold with the folks who knowingly book a cruise on a ship then complain about the drink prices so they are brining their own supply. I think most are bringing a little to have something in the cabin. But we all recognize that it is Royal's perogative to search our luggage and dispose of any contraband found. It is in the contract and if we choose to bring it on board we know we may never see it again.

That my friends is between me and Royal Caribbean.

I sure hope you aren't representative of the kind of people I am going to be meeting on my Royal cruise!

Many of G'ma's posts upset me or make me angry or just plain annoy me, but in this case I am in total agreement with her. The rules(whether we think they are fair or not), are made for EVERYONE to abide by. I guess I won't be your BFF on any future cruises either. Oh well...............

Many of G'ma's posts upset me or make me angry or just plain annoy me, but in this case I am in total agreement with her. The rules(whether we think they are fair or not), are made for EVERYONE to abide by. I guess I won't be your BFF on any future cruises either. Oh well...............

Unfortunately RCCL seems pretty selective in what rules they enforce. People save chairs at the pool. This is against the rules yet RCCL does nothing. This affects plenty of people on the ship. My smuggled alcohol is for use in my cabin. It does not affect anyone else whether or not my wife and I can have a drink in our cabin.

To the OP: you knew bringing alcohol onboard was against the contract you agreed to. What do you have to complain about? I smuggle some each cruise and if I get caught I'm certainly not going to come on here and complain that RCCL enforced the contract I agreed to.

Some folks on their moral high horses are just a bit too much to bear. It must be awfully lonely up there in that tower.

Some posters seem to think bringing personal alcohol onto the ship is a moral defect and those people should be - I'm not sure what consequences they deem appropriate - walking the plank, excommnicated, prosecuted or something. They even implied that if you speed, roll through a stop sign, or commit any infraction of any rule or law you are morally inferior to them.

What bull hockey!!!!

I live in a small community with a posted speed limit of 15 mph. I have lived here for 10 years and I can probably count on both hands the number of times I've seen anyone drive the speed limit through my little community. Does that make me, my family and friends, almost all of my neighbors, their friends, and lost tourists morally inferior to those posters living in the ivory towers?

I don't see a problem with people bringing alcohol on board if that is what they want to do. I don't hold with the folks who knowingly book a cruise on a ship then complain about the drink prices so they are brining their own supply. I think most are bringing a little to have something in the cabin. But we all recognize that it is Royal's perogative to search our luggage and dispose of any contraband found. It is in the contract and if we choose to bring it on board we know we may never see it again.

That my friends is between me and Royal Caribbean.

I agree with a lot that you have to say. The important point missed is if you know you are doing something wrong and get caught dont complain. You knew the rules up front. The op found it petty. it is not petty it's the rules. The quantity means nothing, the rule was broken and the standard action was taken.

I agree with a lot that you have to say. The important point missed is if you know you are doing something wrong and get caught dont complain. You knew the rules up front. The op found it petty. it is not petty it's the rules. The quantity means nothing, the rule was broken and the standard action was taken.

I agree - if you break the rules and get caught - you knew going in don't whine.

What annoys me is the moral superiority stance of the - those are the rules and if you break the rules you are scum posters.

Unfortunately RCCL seems pretty selective in what rules they enforce. People save chairs at the pool. This is against the rules yet RCCL does nothing. This affects plenty of people on the ship. My smuggled alcohol is for use in my cabin. It does not affect anyone else whether or not my wife and I can have a drink in our cabin.

To the OP: you knew bringing alcohol onboard was against the contract you agreed to. What do you have to complain about? I smuggle some each cruise and if I get caught I'm certainly not going to come on here and complain that RCCL enforced the contract I agreed to.

I think it's fairly straightforward as to which rules RCI enforces. They tend to enforce the ones that involve passenger health/safety, their liability, and their pocketbook. For the rest, they tend to rely on the passengers to follow them on their own. It's their ship, and their rules, I'd say how strictly they decide to enforce a particular rule is their business.

Grandma should have just stuck the plastic bottles in her pockets (assuming she had something with pockets). They're plastic- no way to detect. My 16oz. rum runners are going into my pockets. HAAHAHAHAHAHA

If I were going to smuggle small amounts of booze in these days, I'd just put them in my pocket and go through the big scanner. It detects metal not plastic or alcohol.

We got a couple of free mini bottles of vodka on a overnight overseas flight to a RC cruise last but didn't drink them on the flight. They had a plastic cap and bottle so I just put them in my jacket pocket. I was surprised when the ship's metal detector and the security person's wand picked them out as I had thought I had put all my metal in my carry on bag. The reason being that they had a shiny aluminum type label which activated the metal detectors. I showed the security person the two minis and he just waved me through without requiring me to turn in my 100ml (two drinks) of vodka.

smug·gle (smubreve.gifgprime.gifschwa.gifl)

v. smug·gled, smug·gling, smug·gles

v.tr. 1. To import or export without paying lawful customs charges or duties.

2. To bring in or take out illicitly or by stealth.

v.intr. To engage in smuggling.

How important is it to smuggle the booze in, when you can buy on board, yes the prices may be high - but you know that when you booked. What would happen if they searched the bags before boarding and you were then denied boarding.

How important is it to smuggle the booze in, when you can buy on board, yes the prices may be high - but you know that when you booked. What would happen if they searched the bags before boarding and you were then denied boarding.

Oh, SMUGGLING; I thought this whole kaboodle was aabout SNUGGLING - my bad. Thank you so much for the definition, I think most of us were unaware.

funny that the 76 year old gets pulled over for 4oz of rum, while many (myself included) are able to get on unquestioned with a significant amount more than that

Yes, thanks Granny for biting the bullet for us bad guys. We salute you.

A poster mentioned "personal compass". I spit up my coffee. It that something you take on a camping trip? Please.

Thanks for the lesson on dictionary usage. But come on... bringing a little booze on board a cruise ship is hardly illicit and has nothing to do with lawful customs charges or duties. If you bought your booze in the US and board a ship in the US, you paid your taxes on the alcohol.

And I just don't understand why some folks worry about what others do. :confused: I mean, if I want to bring on booze and get caught and they dump your booze, well it's my loss- nobody else's. My problem, not yours.

Thanks for the lesson on dictionary usage. But come on... bringing a little booze on board a cruise ship is hardly illicit and has nothing to do with lawful customs charges or duties. If you bought your booze in the US and board a ship in the US, you paid your taxes on the alcohol.

And I just don't understand why some folks worry about what others do. :confused: I mean, if I want to bring on booze and get caught and they dump your booze, well it's my loss- nobody else's. My problem, not yours.

I agree with you and I dont think most folks care if people bring booze on or not, get busted or not.

From most posts I think what bothers people is when you break the rule get caught and then come on CC and whine about it. Get over it you took a chance and lost weather is 2oz or 2 gallons.

It's totally ridiculous. I was the one who pretty well assured her she would never be caught - especially with that piddly amount, and she's hauled in over 4 oz of rum. So she hobbles down to the pursers desk (she was in a handicapped room having just had a knee replacement) and they ask her for the booze. Nice.

No it's not. You shouldn't have lied!

My mother, who is 76, just got off the Grandeur. She went to the naughty room to retrieve her bag over 2 miniature (ie. 2oz) bottles of rum.

So she hobbles down to the pursers desk (she was in a handicapped room having just had a knee replacement) and they ask her for the booze. Nice.

You would make a good journalist with this sensationalism. The fact this Granny was smuggling booze sorta takes away from the hobbly little frail woman you are painting her as.

Archived