"Naughty room" for 2 airplane bottles of rum!

sprockie

Must be nice to be perfect ;)

It's not about being perfect, but people come here all the time and complain that they got caught. They can try whatever they want, but don't complain because you got caught, that's moronic.

Since I got tired of reading posts, and never saw this mentioned in the first 5 or more pages.

In the since of security, not allowing liquids, bottles filled with potential explosive chemical on board is important, and this may be the main reason, but not only reason for the rule.

Having said that, It might be a cool move for RC for to allow 1. 5 liters of anything to be brought aboard in open view, to be security checked. Now if they did this, liquids other than medical needs or hygiene found in the luggage, of over a certain amount would be confiscated with no return.

I would also like to say every port may be different in there screening process, just like TSA every airport seems to have slightly different rules of how and what is screened.

I would hate to see a terrorist event on a cruise ship :eek:

Since I got tired of reading posts, and never saw this mentioned in the first 5 or more pages.

In the since of security, not allowing liquids, bottles filled with potential explosive chemical on board is important, and this may be the main reason, but not only reason for the rule.

Having said that, It might be a cool move for RC for to allow 1. 5 liters of anything to be brought aboard in open view, to be security checked. Now if they did this, liquids other than medical needs or hygiene found in the luggage, of over a certain amount would be confiscated with no return.

I would also like to say every port may be different in there screening process, just like TSA every airport seems to have slightly different rules of how and what is screened.

I would hate to see a terrorist event on a cruise ship :eek:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the rules are not about liquids and terrorist attacks, the rules are about alcohol and folks getting drunk on it, doing stupid things and sue the cruise line for their stupidity.

Is it just revenue or is there really a component of passenger safety? If it was just revenue they would allow bottles bought in the ship's shop to be taken back to cabin. Even at hefty markup. For people who smuggle only for convenience of a drink while dressing for dinner (like us) we would gladly pay a bit extra (up to 50% say) rather than carry a bottle from home. Cruise line would still get the revenue bump. Double if they can buy alcohol cheaper outside USA. Our 750ml traveler of bourbon costs $14 at home. We would pay $21 onboard if we could take back to cabin. Probably only cost cruise line $7 w/o all the taxes. Nice profit margin. And even at that price still worth it to us to not have to haul drinks from a bar or wait for room service.

But they don't do this so I have to think they might actually have at least some drunk passenger safety concerns. Perhaps they could split the difference and allow take-out purchase (off-sale as we say here) but limit to one per cabin per 7 days and the right to confiscate if there is a problem. Then again maybe that's too hard (or costly) to implement.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the rules are not about liquids and terrorist attacks, the rules are about alcohol and folks getting drunk on it, doing stupid things and sue the cruise line for their stupidity.

then please explain to me why they dont have an issue with over serving folks on the ships... thats a law suit to happen as well. People sue to sue its doesnt matter on bringing on booze or being served if something happens to them thats the first thing most folks want to do....

so.... to me its all about the mighty dollar, point in case right now is why are they stopping the water and soda allowance. wait i see so they can sell more of it on board... RCL is about the almighty buck in my opinion.

I love this line but if they keep milking me for everything then i am going to have to travel on other lines..thats not being mean its just a budget minded decision in order for me to do what i love and thats cruise.

then please explain to me why they dont have an issue with over serving folks on the ships... thats a law suit to happen as well. People sue to sue its doesnt matter on bringing on booze or being served if something happens to them thats the first thing most folks want to do....

so.... to me its all about the mighty dollar, point in case right now is why are they stopping the water and soda allowance. wait i see so they can sell more of it on board... RCL is about the almighty buck in my opinion.

I love this line but if they keep milking me for everything then i am going to have to travel on other lines..thats not being mean its just a budget minded decision in order for me to do what i love and thats cruise.

Sorry, you are asking the wrong person, I´m not the spokesman of RCI. You should ask them for their reasoning.

Maybe so far nobody has sued them for stuff happening after overindulging alcohol purchased onboard, while they had to settle the Smith case.

You have to do what you have to do and if it´s traveling other lines, nothing wrong with it.

Sorry, you are asking the wrong person, I´m not the spokesman of RCI. You should ask them for their reasoning.

Maybe so far nobody has sued them for stuff happening after overindulging alcohol purchased onboard, while they had to settle the Smith case.

You have to do what you have to do and if it´s traveling other lines, nothing wrong with it.

Well, which way is it. You are the spokesperson or you are not.

My neighbors went on NCL out of Miami. . .had a couple of bottles of rum or something like that, small bottles. NCL security scanned bag and bingo. . found it. Took it out and "Had you planned on not buying drinks on board?" They said "No." After some conversation affirming that they would not be buying drinks on board, they give them the bottles and sent them on through. Now is that a surprise. It was a 4 day cruise.

This story doesn't make any sense. Please reread.

This story doesn't make any sense. Please reread.

Yeah, I thought the same thing?? Are they saying that because they said they were not going to buy drinks on board, that the security let them through with their own bottle? :confused::confused:

This change in societal behavior only leeds me to question what things will be like 10 year from now... Aside from that is the attitude of a lot of people when they get caught breaking the rules (why are you picking on me?) if you adult enough to break the rules be adult enough to take the consequences and stop complaining about it... (end of social commentary)

Have a nice day folks and happy cruising...:D

Change in societal behaviors? That is a myth. Remember the bootleggers and speakeasies of the 1920's? What about the folks a few hundred years ago that went to another continent to steal children from their families and sell them as slaves, even after slavery was illegal in some of these African nations (British laws)? What about the corruption in the medieval governments where the Sheriff was paid by the fines he collected..so therefore, he made sure he collected a lot of fines, regardless of whether a crime was actually committed?

How much further should I go back? Corruption in Rome? Rape a pillaging by early people?

I would guess that laws and rules were broken as much back in the 'good ole' days' as they are now...We just don't have internet forums and TV news to tell us all so we can lament about how great everything 'used to be'. Sorry, but as a woman, I will take today over the past.

If this woman is anything like my grandmother, who was almost kicked out of the hotel when I was married because everyone was in her room partying, she is probably a little bit proud of being called to the naughty room!

Yeah whatever.Who cares if someone smuggles or not but to equate it to slavery and women sufferouge is a bit outrageous.In comparison smuggling is nothing

:cj

You are absolutely right! I was not comparing smuggle of booze onto a cruise ship to slavery or women's suffrage but comparing the poster's lament about how society had degraded from those good old days. ;) Personally, I get as tired of reading about people complaining about getting caught with booze as I do about people saying that the current generation of people are worse than their elders. So while off topic, it was important enough to me to comment.

Feel free to ignore if you don't care.

You are absolutely right! I was not comparing smuggle of booze onto a cruise ship to slavery or women's suffrage but comparing the poster's lament about how society had degraded from those good old days. ;) Personally, I get as tired of reading about people complaining about getting caught with booze as I do about people saying that the current generation of people are worse than their elders. So while off topic, it was important enough to me to comment.

Feel free to ignore if you don't care.

At least we seem to agree that smuggling threads get a bit silly.

BTW,whenever I visit my MIL in Tampa a visit to Plant City is a must for the World's Best Strawberry Shake

:cj

Taking two small one shot bottles from a 76 y/o lady has to be the lowest. I hope they are proud of themselves for busting that old lady. I think RCL has become perhaps the most petty cruise line out there. I guess they have to pay for their gargantuan new ships.

My son's shoes size 11 work great for a hiding a small bottle of vodka wrapped in plastic and then a brown bag. Haven't been caught yet but it sounds like RC is catching everything now. Next time I will have to go back to water bottles in my carry on filled with vodka and see if that works. I can't wait to go on a cruise just to try it.

My son's shoes size 11 work great for a hiding a small bottle of vodka wrapped in plastic and then a brown bag. Haven't been caught yet but it sounds like RC is catching everything now. Next time I will have to go back to water bottles in my carry on filled with vodka and see if that works. I can't wait to go on a cruise just to try it.

I hope he doesn't have size 12 feet.;):D

No living a bubble here, liquids on airplane is no different than on cruise ships. All might have potentially bad endings. I do know that passenger consumption is RC and probably other cruise lines STANDARD ANSWER to taking alcohol on board. I do agree with the drunkenness from passengers, but the crew should be trained enough to spot potential problems. While at sea the ships law is enforce, and the brig is a comfortable place to be until the next port. Yes Yes I know what I say is possibly a pipe dream but stupid is as stupid does, and if you want, you can buy or have someone buy you all the drinks on board you want.

I'd stick with the shoes. They can tell if vodka vs. water is in a water bottle just by shaking it. One produces bubbles, the other doesn't. Can't remember which is which.

Tucker in Texas

Is it just revenue or is there really a component of passenger safety? If it was just revenue they would allow bottles bought in the ship's shop to be taken back to cabin. Even at hefty markup. For people who smuggle only for convenience of a drink while dressing for dinner (like us) we would gladly pay a bit extra (up to 50% say) rather than carry a bottle from home. Cruise line would still get the revenue bump. Double if they can buy alcohol cheaper outside USA. Our 750ml traveler of bourbon costs $14 at home. We would pay $21 onboard if we could take back to cabin. Probably only cost cruise line $7 w/o all the taxes. Nice profit margin. And even at that price still worth it to us to not have to haul drinks from a bar or wait for room service.

But they don't do this so I have to think they might actually have at least some drunk passenger safety concerns. Perhaps they could split the difference and allow take-out purchase (off-sale as we say here) but limit to one per cabin per 7 days and the right to confiscate if there is a problem. Then again maybe that's too hard (or costly) to implement.

If it were about passenger safty why would they sell all you can drink alchol packages?

I haven't read the entire thread, but I know for a fact that RCI's sister line, Celebrity, allows 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. And, Carnival does as well....not that I have ever been on a Carnival ship...but know people that have....:o

And, come on, even if we smuggle alcohol on board, does anyone REALLY think that we won't buy drinks from the ship ??

The best part of smuggling is getting away with it!!! If the ship's security takes it away from us, oh well, no biggie!!!

What"s really stupid is that your better informed alcoholics just put their booze in a used Scope bottle and never get caught. This is all about protecting the revenue stream from $8 drinks.

True, but have you ever tried to drink a Scope (or even better, Listerine) flavored Cosmo?? :eek::D

I'm fascinated when anyone gets upset if someone "breaks the rules" when the rule has no apparent consequence to their own enjoyment. "Mind your own business" was an oft used phrase while I was growing up. Now everyone's a cop, or looking for some offense.

There are rules, and most are stupid rules promulgated to stop stupid people from behaving stupidly. Read your lawn mower's or step ladder's labels for an eye roll or two. Allowing passengers to buy and use a liter or two of liquor from the ship store over the course of a weeklong cruise would go far in stopping this silliiness. But that's either too simple, or the lawyers are at work.

And let's not confuse company rules with laws.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I know for a fact that RCI's sister line, Celebrity, allows 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. And, Carnival does as well....not that I have ever been on a Carnival ship...but know people that have....:o

And, come on, even if we smuggle alcohol on board, does anyone REALLY think that we won't buy drinks from the ship ??

The best part of smuggling is getting away with it!!! If the ship's security takes it away from us, oh well, no biggie!!!

Carnival does allow two bottles of wine per pax and you can get more at each port stop. This is also true on the Princess but they don't really enforce the limit as I took a box of wine (12 bottles) on board with me on the last cruise. On my one Carnival cruise I took 7 bottles when I boarded without any problems. Yes, we who imbibe do buy drinks in the bars as well as paying the corking fee in the MDR.

You are most correct in that it is the thrill of the hunt that drives many of us. Smuggle on fellow pax!

Archived