Radiance Questions

jbobst

Just had a few questions about the Radiance. If anyone could help with answers that would be great!

1. We loved the wine bar on the Mariner last year, but with no dedicated wine bar on the Radiance, will the Champagne bar be a suitable replacement for drinking wine and just hanging out people watching? Or is it pretty much only Champagne they serve there?

2. Is the Pizzaria in the Solarium just a regular pizza station that anyone can grab a slice (meaning kids are allowed to grab a slice)? What are the hours typically? I assume the pizza is included in your cruise fare, vs. extra charge?

3. I was looking at the deck plans yesterday and I noticed a lounge on deck 8 or 9 (I can't remember exactly) called the Explorers Lounge. Is this just a standard bar/lounge area? Do they have live music in the evening? Can any passengers use this lounge, or just diamond members or some other sort of exclusive group (suite guests, etc)?

4. Since there are only two main elevator banks, one at mid ship and one forward, are the aft stairs (I see a stairway in the aft part of the ship, with no elevators) usable for passengers or are they crew only?

5. Can someone explain to me what Latte-tudes is? I think it used to be a spot called Books, Books, and Coffee, or something along those lines. Is it similar to the coffee bar in the Mariner of the Seas that is kind of attached to the Cafe Promenade? Do they only sell coffee? Anything "free" available in Latte-tudes? Any idea on the operational hours?

I think that's about it! Sorry if these have been asked and answered before, as I am sure they have at some point.

Jeff

Just had a few questions about the Radiance. If anyone could help with answers that would be great!

1. We loved the wine bar on the Mariner last year, but with no dedicated wine bar on the Radiance, will the Champagne bar be a suitable replacement for drinking wine and just hanging out people watching? Or is it pretty much only Champagne they serve there?

Yes you can get wine here. People watching is OK, its in the Centirum so if you get a table at the glass its better, otherwise the setting is more quiet.

2. Is the Pizzaria in the Solarium just a regular pizza station that anyone can grab a slice (meaning kids are allowed to grab a slice)? What are the hours typically? I assume the pizza is included in your cruise fare, vs. extra charge?

3. I was looking at the deck plans yesterday and I noticed a lounge on deck 8 or 9 (I can't remember exactly) called the Explorers Lounge. Is this just a standard bar/lounge area? Do they have live music in the evening? Can any passengers use this lounge, or just diamond members or some other sort of exclusive group (suite guests, etc)?

This is just a sitting area, no bar service off the Centirum.

4. Since there are only two main elevator banks, one at mid ship and one forward, are the aft stairs (I see a stairway in the aft part of the ship, with no elevators) usable for passengers or are they crew only?

Just crew.

5. Can someone explain to me what Latte-tudes is? I think it used to be a spot called Books, Books, and Coffee, or something along those lines. Is it similar to the coffee bar in the Mariner of the Seas that is kind of attached to the Cafe Promenade? Do they only sell coffee? Anything "free" available in Latte-tudes? Any idea on the operational hours?

Latitudes is a coffee bar, Seattle Best. Grab a cappuccino or other specialty coffee and some nice sweet treats! I do believe the sweet treats are free.

I think that's about it! Sorry if these have been asked and answered before, as I am sure they have at some point.

Jeff

Hope you enjoy the Radiance, it is our favorite ship!!!

We love the layout, not too big, not too small and one of the friendliest crews!!

Thanks for asking these, I was wondering about the aft stair myself.

Also, where is the solarium cafe? Guessing the solarium (yes, I graduated at the top of my class), but I don't see it on deck plans.

Go Cats

The Solarium Cafe is right in the Solarium and is on the right hand side when facing forward. You must try the crepes that are made on sea days!

Another secret place is the SeaView Cafe located on Deck 12. You can walk all the way through the Windjammer to the aft outdoor seating area and then take the stairs up to Deck 12. Oh my, now it's not a secret anymore.:D

They serve great Martini's as well and have prime scotch, whiskey, rum, vodka, gin drinks in addition to wine and champagne

No extra charge for pizza, the windjammer has pizza for the kids for lunch and dinner i believe

Latte-tudes has specialty coffees, all for a fee but all sweets they have in the glass counter is free, yummy cookies and a great place to people watch. They have the Internet there also for a charge of course.

Jeff

You will certainly love the Radiance. If you aven't tried Chops or Portofino's it's a must do.

The Solarium Cafe really doesn't have a "seating area"...it's a walk-up counter...kids may use it, but they can't STAY in the Solarium.

On Radiance, since that's the topic of this thread, their on tables and chairs on both sides of the Solarium Pool from the entrance all the way back to the Spa.

Hope you don't mind if I jump in with a question. Sailing on the Radiance this year (first time on Royal). Do they have self assist disembarkation? Or do you still have to set your luggage out overnight?

Hi, yes you can choose to self disembark however you have to be able to bring all your bags yourselves.... it's what it says on the label :)

Is the Solarium Cafe different from the pizza counter? I LOVE crepes. Any idea what the hours are? Are they open everyday?

Yes, there are other food items you can get besides pizza.

Crepes are being made on sea days only, or that's how it was on our November cruise.

Check the Daily Cruise Compass for hours of operation as they vary, but yes, they are opened every day.

Patti,

I'm so glad to hear the Radiance has crepes in the solarium. On our recent Jewel sailings the crepes are no longer served, so I was surprised that Radiance still has them, even if it's only on sea days. We'll be on the Radiance to Alaska in June, so that is something to look forward to.

BTW, your granddaughter is so cute.......you must be over the moon!

Rita

Patty,

I'm so glad to hear the Radiance has crepes in the solarium. On our recent Jewel sailings the crepes are no longer served, so I was surprised that Radiance still has them, even if it's only on sea days. We'll be on the Radiance to Alaska in June, so that is something to look forward to.

BTW, your granddaughter is so cute.......you must be over the moon!

Rita

Hi Rita, yes they are still making the crepes on Radiance, but only on sea days. They used to make them every day, but that was just another cut back.:mad:

Thanks for the kind words about our granddaughter. She is our little princess and we are having so much fun spoiling her.

Hope you don't mind if I jump in with a question. Sailing on the Radiance this year (first time on Royal). Do they have self assist disembarkation? Or do you still have to set your luggage out overnight?

Hi, yes you can choose to self disembark however you have to be able to bring all your bags yourselves.... it's what it says on the label :)

Depends on where you are cruising from. Not in San Diego.

The port of San Diego does not allow you to self-disembark. You have to check your luggage by putting it out the prior night.

Self assist disembarkion.....like aguahound said, SD does not offer this.

Mainly because of the configuration of the pier. Hopefully the new pier will allow this!

However, we were able to do this with no problem on a 5 nighter, I doubt we would be able to do that on our upcoming 11 night in April.

The Solarium Cafe really doesn't have a "seating area"...it's a walk-up counter...kids may use it, but they can't STAY in the Solarium.

What would you call the tables and chairs that are right next to the Solarium Cafe counter other than a seating area? :rolleyes: You are correct about kids not being permitted to stay in the Solarium except during specified hours when the weather is inclement, but there are also tables and chairs just outside the Solarium doors near the outdoor pool where they can take their food and drinks and enjoy them.

I believe that the Explorer's Court refers to the International Ambassador's Desk on Deck 8.

Not sure what kind of issues or questions are addressed.

There was usually nobody there.

Depends on where you are cruising from. Not in San Diego.

The port of San Diego does not allow you to self-disembark. You have to check your luggage by putting it out the prior night.

Self assist disembarkion.....like aguahound said, SD does not offer this.

Mainly because of the configuration of the pier. Hopefully the new pier will allow this!

However, we were able to do this with no problem on a 5 nighter, I doubt we would be able to do that on our upcoming 11 night in April.

Maybe things have changed since our last SD cruise, but we took our luggage off in SD upon returning from So Am 5/09 on Radiance and also took off luggage upon return from Mexico on Dawn Princess 5/08.

Maybe things have changed since our last SD cruise, but we took our luggage off in SD upon returning from So Am 5/09 on Radiance and also took off luggage upon return from Mexico on Dawn Princess 5/08.

Mark, it has changed since you disembarked last May. On our 11/30th cruise there was no self debarkation. Seems the Port of San Diego has something to do with it, from what we heard.

How easy is it to navigate the Radiance? Can you walk straight through most of the public decks? Do some spots dead end? Any shortcuts or tips you want to share?

I found the Radiance easy to navigate.

It is especially convenient if you have a mid ship cabin.

Sea View Cafe is hard to find.

See previous post on how to find Sea View Cafe from Patti (Cruisenfever).

The Helipad area on deck 6 (front of ship) is great place for views.

but to get to it you need to take a short flight of stairs from deck 5

just outside of the Aurora Theater.

Crepes are being made on sea days only, or that's how it was on our November cruise.

MMMMMM Having Crepes on the last sea day as the air is getting colder makes them taste even better:D

Archived