Decorating cabin doors?

So I am new to cruising. On RCI, are we permitted to decorate our cabin doors? It wouldn't be anything obscene or anything that sticks out into the hall and impedes traffic, of course, but if it's permitted I am planning to cover most of the door.

RCCL puts a sign on your cabin door for birthdays.anniv. etc. as part of the room decorations you can order online...So I don't know why you couldn't put your own...But I'm sure they will tell you if you can't...Also remember the doors are metal...Enjoy !!

Edited by Ashland

So I am new to cruising. On RCI, are we permitted to decorate our cabin doors? It wouldn't be anything obscene or anything that sticks out into the hall and impedes traffic, of course, but if it's permitted I am planning to cover most of the door.

Did you sign up for a Mix & Mingle? You can print out a "I'm a Cruise Critic" Sign. It says... Meet You at the Mix & Mingle... or something like that? I use scotch tape. :-)

I taped a "Just Married" Sign that I brought from home, on my nephew's door.

This was our cabin door on RCCL Explorer for Halloween 2008. Everybody liked it and we got no hassles. Just be sure it doesn't get in the way for the room stewards.

cruise2008162.jpg

On our last cruise, the people in the cabin next to us decorated their entire door with stickers. We were heading out to disembark and the poor room steward was scraping the door w/a blade and there was sticky residue all over it. I think they would appreciate it if you used magnets or a low tack tape.

Hello,

For our trips I always bring a small white board (8 * 11) that has magnets on the back so I can put in on our door and leave messages for the whole family. This year we have 5 groups going so I got one for each family. I put our last names and the area that we are from and many times people will leave us notes on where they are from and such. I did find that at night you might want to bring it in as I was getting some messages that were not quite what I would want my kids to read.. Other then that it WORKED great for our families. And it was fun to leave and receive message from my family and others on board.

Hello,

For our trips I always bring a small white board (8 * 11) that has magnets on the back so I can put in on our door and leave messages for the whole family. This year we have 5 groups going so I got one for each family. I put our last names and the area that we are from and many times people will leave us notes on where they are from and such. I did find that at night you might want to bring it in as I was getting some messages that were not quite what I would want my kids to read.. Other then that it WORKED great for our families. And it was fun to leave and receive message from my family and others on board.

Darn those Drunk Hall Walking Writers....:p

I don't suggest magnets -- at least not small magnets. Some of the RC doors have "wormtails" or decorative grooves in the doors. This makes placing things with magnets difficult.

Instead, I suggest that you use that "putty stuff" that we teachers use to hang posters on cinderblock walls in classrooms. It'll sink down into the grooves, and at the end of the week it's easy to remove.

Or, if you have those "sheet magnets" that are the size of a piece of paper, the ones that can be run through your printer, that'd work fine -- they're large enough to cover the grooves.

I have seen many, many doors decorated and have decorated a few myself. However, I have also had my decorations removed by housekeeping. No, they weren't anything obscene, offensive, etc. I was just told it wasn't allowed on that particular ship. It is up to the housekeeping director on each ship to allow (or disallow) door decorations. More than likely your decorations will be allowed but don't be too disappointed if you get them put up and then they make you take them down.

Like others have said, we always decorate our doors. Generally, I travel with a group and it's really fun to see how creative people can be. I've never had any probems with scotch tape as it peels right off and I just use a little bit. It's also much easier to find your cabin.

2615852240097987311S425x425Q85.jpg

One word of caution, however. There are always a few on board who like to ruin your fun so don't put anything on the door that you value too much. We have had people in our groups get things stolen off their doors during the course of the cruise.

Just be creative and enjoy your cruise!!!

As dear Freddie just said - it is great fun to decorate the doors. Most of our group does decorate in a theme, ours is Pirates. We have had door decorating contests and had prizes which were handed out at the Meet and Mingle. It really makes me happy to come back to the cabin and see people taking a picture of our door or commenting on how much they like it. It makes it so much easier to find your cabin when you've had too many drinks. :D

E-Beth

I made up my own door signs off my scrapbooking program and attached them to the magnetic sheets then they went on our door of our cabin. you can buy the magnetic sheets in any stationary store. The only problem we had, was the last night after I took them down, DH couldn't locate our room. :D

Edited by Desert Cruizers

We put a large fluffy package bow on the nameplate of my MIL. She has very little sight and could not read the room numbers in the low light doorway. On the Star Princess, they put balloons on the door for my birthday (made me :))

• 5 years later...

We ordered and got the magnetic back paper on line before our first Disney cruise (DH found it and do not know what to call it).

We decorate it up with whatever we want.

This year we will be making celebration decals.

Best money ever spent.

Enjoy we do.

I decorate mine. I have made a sheet with an image from each port we've ever been to. I've laminated it and put magnets on the back. Works well finding the door and my kids love it. I had some magnets stolen on NCL once, but we found them down the hall. My girls were so sad they were taken. Now I make one big sign. That hasn't been taken yet!

We used window decorations from Party City. It looked like a window that you were looking thru to an island. Used the 3m command strips to put them up.

the door size decorations from the party store are too big for the ship doors.