To lock your luggage or not

goingsailing

I am scheduled to cruise in April on the Star, this will be my first cruise with NCL but my 5th cruise all together. My question is how many cruisers actually lock up their luggage before embarking? I never have and haven't lost anything but I was just wondering if we should? Or if the cruise lines prefer you not to?

We use plastic cable ties instead of locks. Just make sure you have some way to cut them off when you want to unpack! I have a clever little folding pair of scizzors that somehow has always escaped detection (for the past six years or so) which clip inside a pocket in my backpack and that is what I use to cut off the ties.

I am scheduled to cruise in April on the Star, this will be my first cruise with NCL but my 5th cruise all together. My question is how many cruisers actually lock up their luggage before embarking? I never have and haven't lost anything but I was just wondering if we should? Or if the cruise lines prefer you not to?

I lock mine with a cheap TSA approved lock. It doesn't make my bag thief proof, but it does make the unlocked bag next to it more attractive to the thief.

It don't care what the cruise lines prefer. The security droids can either use a TSA master key to open the lock, cut it off or call me. After years of using the locks I have never been called and only had one lock cut off (not by a cruise line).

In all of our travels, we have never ever locked ours. And we travel quite a bit. To each their own.

Of course, we alway have a carry on with stuff like computer, cameras, money, meds, etc. and always a change of clothes.

Absolutely lock your suitcase. My sister-in-law didn't lock her suitcase on her last RCCL cruise out of San Pedro and all of her jewelry was stolen. And, lock or no lock, I would hope that everyone has more sense than to put something valuable in a suitcase that does not stay in your possession!

There are two separate issues here, If you fly and want to lock your luggage you must use zip ties or TSA locks.

As far as the cruiseline is concerned they do not care if you lock it or not, they will NOT open it in any case, they scan it and if they suspect anything they hold it and CALLYOU to come and open it. So you can certainly lock it if you wish and it is always a good idea to lock it if you can.

There are two separate issues here, If you fly and want to lock your luggage you must use zip ties or TSA locks.

As far as the cruiseline is concerned they do not care if you lock it or not, they will NOT open it in any case, they scan it and if they suspect anything they hold it and CALLYOU to come and open it. So you can certainly lock it if you wish and it is always a good idea to lock it if you can.

That is correct for the cruiseline but when the cruise ship returns to port, all luggage is processed (at least in FLL and Port of Miami) by the TSA. So if you plan on locking your luggage when returning from your cruise then you must also use zip ties or TSA locks.

That is correct for the cruiseline but when the cruise ship returns to port, all luggage is processed (at least in FLL and Port of Miami) by the TSA. So if you plan on locking your luggage when returning from your cruise then you must also use zip ties or TSA locks.

This is why I broke down flying and cruiseline. and are you saying that TSA processes the luggage as it is taken off the ship? I have never heard of that, what about all the people carrying their bags off?

Drug sniffing by dogs yes but not luggage screening etc.

Obviously if you return to port and then go to the airport to return home then your bags will be screened at the airport and the same airport rules would apply as if you were flying to port.

This is why I broke down flying and cruiseline. and are you saying that TSA processes the luggage as it is taken off the ship? I have never heard of that, what about all the people carrying their bags off?

Drug sniffing by dogs yes but not luggage screening etc.

Obviously if you return to port and then go to the airport to return home then your bags will be screened at the airport and the same airport rules would apply as if you were flying to port.

In addition to drug sniffing by dogs, the TSA will mandatorily search X number of bags as well as Screening all luggage being removed from the ship. I thought even the folks that carry their bags off have to clear screening but I have never done that so I am not sure.

My DD luggage was searched upon return to Fort Lauderdale from her Princess cruise last week. The "search form" letter that the TSA puts in the luggage was in there when she got to her mother-in-laws house and opened her suitcase.

In addition to drug sniffing by dogs, the TSA will mandatorily search X number of bags as well as Screening all luggage being removed from the ship. I thought even the folks that carry their bags off have to clear screening but I have never done that so I am not sure.

My DD luggage was searched upon return to Fort Lauderdale from her Princess cruise last week. The "search form" letter that the TSA puts in the luggage was in there when she got to her mother-in-laws house and opened her suitcase.

Are you sure it was TSA that did the search and not CBP? I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I've never seen TSA agents at a port.

Are you sure it was TSA that did the search and not CBP? I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I've never seen TSA agents at a port.

She said TSA but it could have been CBP...I thought they were working together now at ports. Could have also been a TSA training exercise as there have been quite a few of those in recent weeks after the Detroit incident and I do know TSA is starting to get more involved with Ships porting in US harbors.

On over a dozen cruises on a variety of cruise lines we have never locked our luggage. We never put anything valuable in our checked luggage. We put cameras, jewelry, binoculars, medicine etc in our carry-on, so it's always with us.

Has this question come up because of Carnival's changes this week?

They now have in their documentation that all checked luggage must NOT be locked.

I hope NCL doesn't go in this direction, too many people handling that luggage not to have it locked.

we use plastic cable ties instead of locks. Just make sure you have some way to cut them off when you want to unpack! I have a clever little folding pair of scizzors that somehow has always escaped detection (for the past six years or so) which clip inside a pocket in my backpack and that is what i use to cut off the ties.

ditto! :)

Has this question come up because of Carnival's changes this week?

They now have in their documentation that all checked luggage must NOT be locked.

I hope NCL doesn't go in this direction, too many people handling that luggage not to have it locked.

I saw that discussion on CCL also...

I always lock my luggage... even though my "real valuables" are in my carry on --the other items in checked luggage are "valuable" to me..:)

i dotn care if the cruiseline like it or not , I do it . I always use one of those TSA approved locks

locks_luggage_safe_skies.jpg

Last year I ordered and tried one of the TSA locks, the colorful variety with a three-dial combination. Before I used them on our luggage, I set a combination and tried to open them. One worked fine the other would not open. So, I figured I set the wrong combination. I ordered another one and the second lock also worked ok. BUT, when tried the first lock, (which previously worked ok), I couldn't get it open. Was it me? Were these locks defective? Not taking any chances on our cruise, I tossed out these locks. I could just see us trying to get our luggage open on the cruise ship. No thanks, either cable ties or a key-lock that if they cut it, big deal. Happy Cruisin'

I always use TSA locks on my luggage. Funny thing on me November cruise on Royal the lock was removed and discarded. Not sure if luggage was examained or not. Didn't realize the lock was missing until I got home. Buying a new set of TSA locks today for my 2/3 cruise on the Gem. I do keep my valuable in my carry on, but feel better locking my luggage before handing to porters.

Why would you put anything of value in your checked luggage and not in your carry on? :confused: If any thief wants my underwear or shampoo, I hope it's worth the effort to steal them.

That being said, I lock my checked luggage as well. Not as much for security as making sure the zippers don't accidentally unzip en route.