Disembarking question

I like to know exactly what to expect when it comes to the practical things and I have seen this discussed but never step by step.

We have an 11:50 am flight out of FLL and want to be part of the first group off the ship. I've heard people mention carrying your own luggage off and being the first off. How exactly does this work? Do I not put my luggage out the night before?

Can someone walk me through it & where I need to go to tell RCCL about my early flight and that I want to walk off with my luggage early?

Thanks!

All you have to do is NOT put your luggage out the night before. They will disembark those people first. We do it all the time. You don't need to tell anyone.

Thank you! I knew it had to do something about the luggage but I couldn't figure out from everyone's posts how it worked.

You must be able to handle all your luggage yourself. It is totally self help.

You might be off as early as 7:30 that way and getting your cab by 8:00.

THANK you for this info. 8 am would be perfect. Even 8:30 would be fine I think. It's only a five day cruise so I'll probably just have a carry-on. It'll depend on how many shoes I need ;-) But even if I had a bit bigger bag I'll still be able to carry it. I just put the clothing I'm planning on packing on my bed and it wasn't much at all.

There are some other requirements too. You must not exceed your dutiable allowances. ($800 per person of goods plus the cigarette and liquor allowance)

What is the liquor allowance for two of us? We won't go past $800.00 but do plan on buying our full allotment of rum (if it's cheap enough) on Jamaica.

Why in the world would ANYONE put their luggage out in a public hallway? I just don't get that.

We have travelled to many places around the Country and World on our own and always make a point of not having more luggage than we can handle. Who wants to be bothered with bellhops at hotels? To me, putting your luggage in the hallway is the same mentality as calling a bellhop to get your bag, right?

We had an 1:15 flight out of FLL last week and carried our luggage off at 9:30. Bad mistake for us. Line to get through customs took about 30 minutes. By then the line for the taxis was about 500 people long. It took us over an hour and a half in that line! (When we finally got to the taxi, they ripped us off charging us $11 pp for 8 of us to take the 8 minute ride to the airport.) Thankfully we weren't on Southwest, which had a huge line to check bags - only a handful of people waiting at American. Made it to the gate with 20 minutes to spare before boarding. Whew!

Arrange a transfer with the ship or get off as early as you can.

Why in the world would ANYONE put their luggage out in a public hallway? I just don't get that.

I do it because, while I can handle my own bags, there are too many other people during self-debarkation that CANNOT handle theirs and it can cause you problems. Also, in some debarkation ports, you have to put suitcases out as there is no self-debarkation. Frankly, if I have a lot of spare time, it's nicer not sitting around the ship with all of your luggage at your feet.

To the OP ... there is a debarkation form you will get in your cabin. It will ask you whether you intend to self-debark or wish to have tags for an early flight.

We have travelled to many places around the Country and World on our own and always make a point of not having more luggage than we can handle. Who wants to be bothered with bellhops at hotels? To me, putting your luggage in the hallway is the same mentality as calling a bellhop to get your bag, right?

As long as you are able to carry everything off (in one trip) without using an escalator you will be fine.

###

As long as you are able to carry everything off (in one trip) without using an escalator you will be fine.

###

No escalators just elevators...:D LOL LOL..Sorry couldn't resist..Enjoy your next cruise !!!

Thanks all! The escalator confused me but I thought maybe this ship is so big it needs escalators. I just finished packing and it ended up all fitting into a carry-on, even with my 6 pairs of shoes! So I should definitely be able handle that. Of course on the way back I'll have the liter of alcohol too! But last time dh & I went on a cruise we bought 4 bottles in one store and it came with a little box with a handle so I could just carry that in my hand.

9:30 would be way too late for us. We really need to be walking off the boat by 8:00 or so.

Please also keep in mind that you cannot carry your liquor onto the plane. It can only be inside of checked baggage and then only if it is below 140 proof (which should be most). Unless you get special packaging, I doubt bottles will survive being checked by themselves.

I think a lot of people get confused about the 'customs limit' on alcohol. The limit is the duty free limit. You can bring back as much as you want but you need to declare it. The customs officer will then decide how much you have to pay. It has been my experience that those who are only a bottle or two over the limit are simply waved through.

BTW - rum is very inexpensive in Jamaica.

We did the self-disembarkation thing and were in our car rolling before 7 AM. Sadly they didn't open the breakfast area until 6 AM, and we were already heading out then.

The customs guy told us 2 liters per person. We had thought it was 3, and showed up (3 adults) with 9 liters. He debated charging us $2.85 per liter for the extra three, then decided it wasn't worth the paperwork so he told us to be on our way.

On my last cruise we had the information in our room to go to the Purser's desk to sign up for self assist debarkation. So we went to sign up and they told us they only allow a certain amount of passengers to do this and it's first come first serve. You get a certain color tag to show when you are getting off. But very rarely does anybody look at your tag when you get off so I really don't see how they can police this restriction of only a certain amount allowed to do this.

That's funny......why would anyone EVER carry their own luggage when there is a process in place where someone else will do it for you?? :D

Can anyone picture disembarkation day if everyone carried their luggage off ?? :eek: :eek:

Life is too short to pack light !! :D

estherhead, here is our step by step process for disembarking as early as possible:

Early in the cruise, stop by the front desk & advise we want self-disembarkation. (may or may not be given a 'pass' to do so)

The night before disembarkation,

1. do NOT place luggage outside stateroom.

2. DO check the Compass (daily info sheet the steward leaves in cabin at evening turn-down service) for the place & time of self disembarktion.

3. Check the Compass for the opening times of breakfast service. If too late for the self disembarkation time, we get some dessert, fruit, bread, from the Windjammer & put it in our cabin fridge.

4. Call the front desk & ask on which deck & location will the gangway be located.

5. Physically view the waiting area & the gangway area to be sure we know our way while handling luggage.

6. Pack & set the alarm! Usually, self disembarkation is very early! So, we allow plenty of time to get ourselves ready, eat a bite for breakfast, put the last items in our luggage, & get to the self disembarkation waiting area.

Morning of disembarkation - be among the first to the waiting area room. Usually the line for self disembarkation is VERY long. To disembark as early as possible, it is important to be towards the front of the line. This also assures a taxi without waiting, which saves time.

Enjoy your cruise!

That's funny......why would anyone EVER carry their own luggage when there is a process in place where someone else will do it for you?? :D

Can anyone picture disembarkation day if everyone carried their luggage off ?? :eek: :eek:

Life is too short to pack light !! :D

I agree

estherhead, here is our step by step process for disembarking as early as possible:

Early in the cruise, stop by the front desk & advise we want self-disembarkation. (may or may not be given a 'pass' to do so)

The night before disembarkation,

1. do NOT place luggage outside stateroom.

2. DO check the Compass (daily info sheet the steward leaves in cabin at evening turn-down service) for the place & time of self disembarktion.

3. Check the Compass for the opening times of breakfast service. If too late for the self disembarkation time, we get some dessert, fruit, bread, from the Windjammer & put it in our cabin fridge.

4. Call the front desk & ask on which deck & location will the gangway be located.

5. Physically view the waiting area & the gangway area to be sure we know our way while handling luggage.

6. Pack & set the alarm! Usually, self disembarkation is very early! So, we allow plenty of time to get ourselves ready, eat a bite for breakfast, put the last items in our luggage, & get to the self disembarkation waiting area.

Morning of disembarkation - be among the first to the waiting area room. Usually the line for self disembarkation is VERY long. To disembark as early as possible, it is important to be towards the front of the line. This also assures a taxi without waiting, which saves time.

Enjoy your cruise!

thank you for these step by step directions. We have a 12 noon flight out in Fort Lauderdale, but sailing from POM. My husband is very worried and wants to get off the ship ASAP in morning and I told him we could do this. We are traveling for a while before and will have 2 pces of luggage each - we are a family of 5.

Archived