Report Slams RCL in Haiti

So theres no reason to stop them doing it - infact is it not a fact the U.S Gov could commandeer any U.S flag cruise ship and compensate the cruise line.

jj......

why should the us govt do it? I am all for lending a helping hand....but ultimately...Haiti has to pull out of this themselves. No amount of aid will give them humane living conditions...they need to fight for this themselves. I feel for the children in this mess.....the adults need to group together and take control of their corrupt government that put them in this mess. Ever since i joined cruise critic there seems to be some topic on Labadee and how to help the Haitians. The people who choose to cruise with RCCL have helped Haiti before earthquake and will continue to do so long after the headlines have moved on to the next fanatical disaster.

Just found this on another post!

#309 report.gif

post_old.gif January 27th, 2010, 06:21 PM

icon1.gif

I just wanted to mention, I have been working with the Haiti Relief Airlift and we have been swamped with supplies and cargo. RCCL has stepped up and to date has shipped 1.2 MILLION pounds of relief supplies into Labadee and counting. They have been a huge help in getting supplies into the country.

Hope this gets some publicity.

But after reading your posts over the years, I can just imagine the diatribe that would follow from your vacation being cancelled if Royal Caribbean decided to take one of your upcoming cruises and reroute the ship to be used as a floating city for refugees. :cool:

Ain't that the truth?! ;)

There is a great reason for RCI not doing it. It is called bankruptcy. And what is your point about the US government and Us flagged ships? RCI has no US flagged ships. Seems pretty moot to me.

Wonder why RCCL would register all their ships in the Bahamas.

jj......

Read the info - Flag of convenience

http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stories/spain/bahamas.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_convenience

Should be both are concern don't you think ?

jj.......

If that's a problem, then you should give up cruising. The ONLY cruise ship with a major line that's registered in the US is the Pride of America. In fact, NCL's US flagged cruise ship experiment was so successful, that they've reduced the size of NCL America's fleet from three ships to one!

To put it bluntly, the US makes it VERY difficult to operate a US flagged cruise ship in today's competitive environment. (Or even get a cruise ship registered in the US. It literally took an act of Congress to flag NCL America's three ships.)

Read the info - Flag of convenience

http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stories/spain/bahamas.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_convenience

Should be both are concern don't you think ?

jj.......

Not in the least. But thank you for educating us on flags of convenience. That is a deep dark cruise line secret that none of us were aware of before your informative post. Really Coxswain, most of us on these boards were not just hatched last night.

If that's a problem, then you should give up cruising. The ONLY cruise ship with a major line that's registered in the US is the Pride of America. In fact, NCL's US flagged cruise ship experiment was so successful, that they've reduced the size of NCL America's fleet from three ships to one!

To put it bluntly, the US makes it VERY difficult to operate a US flagged cruise ship in today's competitive environment. (Or even get a cruise ship registered in the US. It literally took an act of Congress to flag NCL America's three ships.)

And the first major obsticle is that it has to be built in the US.

Not in the least. But thank you for educating us on flags of convenience. That is a deep dark cruise line secret that none of us were aware of before your informative post. Really Coxswain, most of us on these boards were not just hatched last night.

Well you did ask the question and i was only trying to help.

cruzendude i'm not sure what you're talking about. But saying someone deserves abuse isn't what these boards are about - so i'll be reporting your post.

jj......

Wonder why RCCL would register all their ships in the Bahamas.

jj......

All the cruise lines register the ships out of the USA, except for NCL America's 3 ships.................and we all know how that BOTCHED experiment failed.

Carnival was paid hundreds of millions to rent their ships as hotels after the Katrina disaster. In healthier financial times. How much did the British government pay P&O to rent the old Canberra during the Falklands WAR?

During WWII (you remember that, don't you) when the US came in and rescued the world from Hitler and Tojo, most passenger ships were taken over and used as troop carriers.

This is a disaster but not a world war.

JJ..

I do think you should change your name on all of the cruise boards you frequent to "red headed stepchild" for all the well deserved abuse you take!~ :eek::p

Please don't insult my wonderful red headed BF like this! :D

As for the Bahamas flag, this is common knowledge.

JJ, just once could you post good news? I doesn't even have to be about RCI. Why such a negative outlook on things?

US halts Haiti victim evacuations in 'medical bill row'

Terrible news.

jj.......

Yep, horrible. Because once again, who is going to pick up the bill for this? Maybe you can organize one from the UK? Would you like to pick up the medical bills?

I don't mean to sound harsh -- really I don't.

But we can say how horrible it is. But I am personally looking at a mountain of medical debt. MOUNTAIN. And my gov't and my taxes, I assure you, won't be paying for my medical debt.

So who is suppose to be paying for Haiti? Any ideas? The US? Royal Caribbean?

Excellent points...I agree with all of them.I'm waiting for some group to come out and say that RCCL was responsible for the earthquake and that the visiting ships caused the aftershocks...:rolleyes:

It's truly sad that organizations, instead of helping Haiti themselves, are wasting time and money criticizing one of the few companies that is directly helping in Haiti and not just through monetary donations.

When I read that report yesterday, I was extremely upset and offended!!! It just shows how uneducated that organization is by releasing such a ridiculous report. Providing jobs and bringing tourists who spend money are some of the best ways to help Haiti.

"It is also an unsound tool for economic recovery"

I'm no expert but isn't providing jobs an important element of economic recovery?

"But it could do and should do much more. The cruise industry has long been one of the most profitable sectors of the tourism industry."

WalMart is the most profitable companies in the retail industry. Why aren't they being criticized for not donating all the food and blankets in their stores to Haiti? McDonalds is one of the most profitable companies in the food industry. Why aren't they being criticized for not donating all their food to Haiti? Maybe because companies that employ hundreds of thousands can't just shut down and completely dedicate themselves to a catastrophe.

"Dedicate several of its ships to ferry food, medicine and other supplies and relief workers"

Again, I'm no expert but unless there's been some magical transformation that I didn't hear about, cruise ships are not cargo ships...

"Use one or more cruise ships as shelter for Haitian refugees, as a hospital for the injured and sick, or as housing for the thousands of relief, security, and development workers pouring into the country. (There is a precedent: A cruise ship was used to house evacuees from New Orleans after Katrina.)"

Royal Caribbean is a business that employs tens of thousands of workers in dozens of countries. They cannot simply cancel a bunch of cruises and send their prime sources of income to help in these catastrophes. It's the same reason American Airlines can't cancel many flights and send several of their planes to Haiti to transport victims. During Hurricane Katrina, Carnival was reimbursed hundreds of millions of dollars for the use of its ships. I'm sure if someone offered Royal Caribbean the necessary amount to cover its losses, it too would consider providing its ships.

"Use Labadee and its facilities to house (in tents or other temporary shelters) displaced Haitians who have lost their homes, livelihoods, and loved ones."

Those that survived the earthquake need to rebuild and reestablish themselves in and around Port-au-Prince. That's where they have their families, their livelihood, their contacts. Sending them to a deserted beach 7 hours away would not be beneficial to them. Furthermore, Labadee is not setup to house displaced Haitians. More importantly, if you turn Labadee into a shelter, the 500+ Haitian individuals who make a living off of Labadee will lose their jobs.

"Purchase Haitian crafts from the Labadee vendors and sell them in the U.S."

Again, I' m no expert, but isn't Royal Caribbean a cruise line? I can't recall Royal Caribbean having stores throughout the U.S. to sell crafts.

"Keep the several hundred Haitians said to rely on Labadee for their livelihoods on payroll until it is appropriate to resume cruise visits."

This one isn't even worth a reply...

"The UN’s World Tourism Organization says tourism can be “a useful instrument” for the “reconstruction process in Haiti” – but some forms of tourism are far more beneficial than cruise tourism. According to the Caribbean Tourism Organization, the number of cruise and stayover tourists visiting the Caribbean is roughly the same, yet stayover travelers spend 13 times more in‐country than cruise passenger and governments in the Caribbean receive 800% more in taxes from stayover tourists than from cruise passengers."

Haiti is a beautiful country. However, very few areas are setup for tourism. Royal Caribbean is the ONLY cruise line in the world that has developed an area of Haiti into a tourist area and employs hundreds of Haitians. Why aren't they criticizing Carnival or NCL for not creating their own resorts in Haiti and employing hundreds.

I really believe this organization released this insulting report just to get their organization in the news. If this organization really cares about Haiti, its founders should immediately sell their homes, cars, and all of their possessions and donate all the money to Haiti. That would be on par with everything they are suggesting Royal Caribbean should do.

Yep, horrible. Because once again, who is going to pick up the bill for this? Maybe you can organize one from the UK? Would you like to pick up the medical bills?

But we can say how horrible it is. But I am personally looking at a mountain of medical debt. MOUNTAIN. And my gov't and my taxes, I assure you, won't be paying for my medical debt.

Everyone on RCI's cruises should pay for Haiti, that's who! Geez. Haven't you been reading these boards? Send your shoes! Give all your money! :eek: Don't worry about yourself. :rolleyes:

Everyone on RCI's cruises should pay for Haiti, that's who! Geez. Haven't you been reading these boards? Send your shoes! Give all your money! :eek: Don't worry about yourself. :rolleyes:

sadly there are those who think just that.

If you / U.S government or the State of Florida are so upset at how much its costing to help fellow human beings i'm sure the UN or other countries could help.

PrincesScuba i don't think the UK hasn't received any medevacs yet.

jj....

If you / U.S government or the State of Florida are so upset at how much its costing to help fellow human beings i'm sure the UN or other countries could help.

jj....

Can't say I am upset. I didn't personally ask the medevacs to stop. But standing there in the UK and asking those of us in the US (where we don't have healthcare for all of our citizens) and asking us to pay for healthcare for Haiti? You first.

Call your gov't and ask them to pick up the medevac costs.

Are you saying it can't be done ?

Try searching P&O Canberra Falklands

jj........

Canberra was a British flagged vessel, I suppose The Bahamas could requisition RCI's ships if they wanted, but it's none too likely.

Archived