Breast Cancer walk

jp1982

I will be sailing on the Emerald Princess at the end of April. Does anyone know if there is a Breast Cancer walk on every Princess cruise? I am interested in participating and would like to do so this trip. Thanks in advance for the help.

I believe it's on every ship; it's certainly been on my last three or four cruises. It's usually the last sea day; the sign-up sheet will come with your Patter (ship's daily newsletter) on one of the first days.

Great! I will be on the Grand in April. I have done this a couple of times on HAL. It's fun and for a good cause. And of course good exercise:cool:.

Denise

I had a mastectomy on Feb. 5 following chemo and I will begin radiation in March. My July cruise is to help mje forget my medical problems (I previously had breast cancer 15 years ago). I wish the cruise ships wouldn't do this. I know participation is optional, it's for a good cause, blah, blah, blah, but I still do not like to see the reminder in the Patter.

I am a breast cancer survivor, been through a mastectomy and all the testing, etc, had my mother go through the same and more at the same time as myself last year, and I am proud to be walking for this cause. I know when you are in the midst of treatment that you feel you don't want to hear about it, but it should give you strength and courage to go through the battle and fight harder to know that all of us are trying to find the cure by walking and raising awareness and funds.

Well...that's my 2 cents.

Tracey

As a breast cancer survivor it is good to feel the support and understanding from others. I never get to finish the walk because conversation will be started with a participant and take over the time as we set aside and find a quite place to sit and talk.

You do not have to participate in the walk. Just provide a contribution and you will receive a wrist band and a hat to do what you wish with.

Since breast cancer is so prevalent and touches us all in some way, it is important to raise money any way it can be done and to raise awareness of it.

MARAPRINCE

My Mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer about 4 years ago. So, I do the walk every single time in her honor (when she cruises with me we walk together). IMHO, it's easy to write a check but to invest some sweat equity and to take the time to walk is much more personal. Besides, knowing I have a walk at the end of the cruise forces me to walk every morning. :D

I only wish the hundreds that don't walk with us would do so. Wouldn't that be a sight!

My wife is 20 months out from diagnosis, so the question "why not just write a check?" hits home a little. The problem is that most people say, "I'll write a check" and never do. There is symbolism of real support and a personal investment in actually doing the walk AND making a contribution, rather than just making a distant promise.

My two cents.

I had a mastectomy on Feb. 5 following chemo and I will begin radiation in March. My July cruise is to help mje forget my medical problems (I previously had breast cancer 15 years ago). I wish the cruise ships wouldn't do this. I know participation is optional, it's for a good cause, blah, blah, blah, but I still do not like to see the reminder in the Patter.

As you recover from your mastectomy and after you are finished with radiation perhaps your feelings will change on this. For those of us who feel so helpless to make your situation better the walk is just one little thing we can do in hopes someone else will not have to go through what you are. God bless and I'm wishing you a speedy recovery.

You could just write the breast cancer people a check. Why is it so important that you also do the walk?

DON

Yes and you can simply make an additional donation onboard without actually participating in the "walk". I believe it is just a small gesture some of us like to do while we are healthy and enjoying our cruise while so many are physically unable to do the same.

While I am not a "hat" person, I enjoy collecting and wearing the pink bracelets. HAL and Carnival gave out a t-shirt along with the band. Princess gives a very nice hat along with the band.

You would be surprised at the number of males who participate in these walks. There is a lot of support among the participants and everyone has their own reason for participating.

Once you pay your money for the walk, the choice to walk or not is up to you. What is important is your support. So sign up and make your contribution.

MARAPRINCE

Hi TigerLily,

I sent you a friend request through CC. Could you please send me an email? Just click on the link below our name.

I would love to chat with you.

Thanks very much,

Lin

I am almost 5 years out from my origional diagnosis. I had a lumpectomy chemo and radiation. in 2007 i had a funky mammogram and had a double masectomy. I was very excited to see that princess did the walk on deck for a cure last year. We did it last year and will do it again this year.

To the OP. You will get through this and be stroger for it.

Archived