Is a professional tourguide essential in Athens?

VT Hokie Cruiser

In a word, "no". I think a guide in the Acropolis would be worth it, if you are sufficiently interested in ancient history. But unless you are very regimented traveller, don't like to plan and research ahead of time, or have limited mobility, I would do the rest of Athens on your own.

One of the private tour services says a guide can go along for the day at a rate of 220 euros. Or one can be hired just for the Acropolis for 100 euros.

Is it worth the 220 euros for a guide in addition to the tour costs, or is using one just for the Acopolis sufficient, or neither?

Thanks.

If you are using a private driver/tour service, we found our driver the 4 times we used them in Europe to be great. While in the car they shared history, site information/history, trivia and in Greece even tried to teach us a little Greek. The drivers of course can't join you at the attractions themselves where you must then have a licensed guide. FOr the Acropolis I found the 100 Euros ( split among our group ) euros well spent. We looked with our eyes, the guide told us stories, we got to ask questions, far better than any podcast or book as they simply couldn't answer our random question that came up. But for other attractions in Athens I'd not have felt a personal license guide would have been money worth spent.

One of the private tour services says a guide can go along for the day at a rate of 220 euros. Or one can be hired just for the Acropolis for 100 euros. Is it worth the 220 euros for a guide in addition to the tour costs, or is using one just for the Acopolis sufficient, or neither? Thanks.

Cynthia has summarized things very well. Go and read that earlier post with much added background. It also has some pictures to give you a little preview for what is there at the Acropolis. I noted earlier you can make it work on your own just "eyeballing" as you walk along on your own . . . OR . . . do your personal advance study to understand what you are seeing . . . or . . . use a personal guide.

For the next-door Plaka with shopping and food, you really don't need a guide there. If you're interested in history and/or architecture, then a guide on Acropolis Hill would be very, very important for this one part of Athens.

We did hire a guide at the Acropolis and we had a wonderful lady, a retired teacher. Our biggest reason is that I like to ask lots of questions and probe deeper on some of the great history and architecture that is there. Fortunately we had a perfect weather day there. It is a "once in a lifetime" experience and it's worth either a guide and/or the needed advance preparation so that you know and understand fully what you are experiencing. Don't just walk through it thinking it is just "old stones". It's real history!!! Below are a few other pictures from around Athens.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Outdoor dining in the Plaka. Lots of music and fun, plus good food:

PlakaDining.jpg

National Arch. Museum treasures from Greece’s great history:

NatMusTreasures.jpg

A lower-angle view of the Parthenon:

ParthLowAngle.jpg

Parthenon Museum historic art and other items:

AcrpMuseum.jpg

Night view of the Parthenon on its historic hill:

AcrpNightView.jpg

A night view from our AVA Hotel balcony of Roman relics in Athens:

RuinsFromHotel.jpg

It all really depends on your interests. In any case, I believe that it would be money well spent to hire a guide for the Acropolis and the New Acropolis Museum. They charge a fixed price of 100 Euros for each. For our visit this summer in July we decided we wanted a guide for both the Acropolis and the New Acropolis Museum. For the same price of 200 Euros, the tour company that we have hired for a private tour reserved a guide for the whole day! At this price why not? Especially since the eight of us will share the cost.

You can also check our previous post and other opinions at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=23004657#post23004657

ny4cruise,

We will be in Athens in May and am interested in the day you will be spending there. Can you share the name of the tour company you are using? How much are they charging you for you for the day? Am I understanding that the 200 euros is in addtion to their cost? Thanks so much for your help with this.

Reesakluner@shaw.ca

ny4cruise,

We will be in Athens in May and am interested in the day you will be spending there. Can you share the name of the tour company you are using? How much are they charging you for you for the day? Am I understanding that the 200 euros is in addtion to their cost? Thanks so much for your help with this.

Reesakluner@shaw.ca

rcoop,

We will be 8 and our private tour will cost 400 Euros. We have booked with Nikos Loukas at privategreecetours.com. You are correct, the 200 Euros for the guide is on top of the 400.

Archived