What did you do in Barbados.???

eddjbishop

We had a taxi drop us at the Hilton, we walked the beach to the Boardwalk and followed that to Accra Beach. Stayed there a few hours and then walked across the street to "Just Grillin", just a little local place in the middle of a shopping center and had a flying fish sandwich that was excellent. There is snorkeling off of Accra, but you have to swim out a bit.

Went on a zipline excursion booked through X Equinox. We had a great time and it was a short enough excursion on a long enough port day that we still got to see a good amount of the port. We did some shopping, went to a few bars, had lunch at a restaurant called Lobster Alive and spent some time at Boatyard Beach

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Took the bus up to Folkestone Park. Snorkeling there, not a great "sandy beach" but a very nice park. There is an old church there that you can walk thru, along with the old graveyard. We usually walk along the beach then when we are tired we cut back up to the road and catch the bus back.

Took the bus up to Folkestone Park.

Snorkeling there, not a great "sandy beach" but a very nice park.

There is an old church there that you can walk thru, along with the old graveyard.

That's the oldest church on the island -St.James Parish Church

The church's website at URL

http://stjames.truepath.com/ relates...

The original wooden structure was built in 1628

near the landing site of the first English settlers to Barbados, who arrived on February 17, 1627.

After a hurricane on August 31, 1675 which devastated most of the island,

a stone structure replaced the former wooden building in the early 1690's.

When we got off the ship we asked for directions to the bus station it was about a ten minute walk. I think it is off to the right, but that might depend on which direction the ship is facing. When you get to the bus station, the people there will tell you which bus you want. The people on the bus, the drivers etc are so nice and friendly. Give yourself lots of time to get back. The walk to the bus station is along the shore and is really a nice walk, shady with trees.

I agree, Barbados is just so full of history

and St. Johns and it cemetery is really quite wonderful

... I can't wait to go back.:)

I'm assuming you're thinking of St.John's Parish Church

right at the edge of the escarpment, overlooking the East Coast of the island.

Spiral-44.jpg

Sundial-23.jpg

You remember this sundial, out in the graveyard?

Do you have some pictures of up and down the coast from the church?
Not exactly from the church view

but I can offer you these taken from about 2-3 miles further North, near Bathsheba..

TrainTrax-040.jpg

E_Coast-009.jpg

BathshebaRox-025.jpg

Bathsheba-675.jpg

We rented a car and drove around the island, swimming at various beaches on Caribbean side, then walked on the beaches on Atlatic side, you can't really swim over there as there are huge rocks and waves.. Then we stopped at Crane beach at south east part of Barbados.. Beautiful pink sand and scienary. :)

We went with glory tours and had the best day!

Our lunch was at Sand Dunes-very nice people and wonderful local food and alot of it!

We went to a private beach which was beautiful.We went all over barbadoes and there is so much to see and do.That is why i have to go back.Have a great time.

We likes beaches and snorkling.... Also, I like to find "hole in the wall" local food..!! What do you reccomend..!??;)

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned and had an absolutely wonderful day with Sail Calabazza: Two snorkeling sites, swimming with the turtles, a beautiful beach stop, fantastic lunch, drinks and a great sail with a wonderful crew on a 12 person max. , but very roomy, catamaran.

Rented a car for the day - drove up the West Coast and across to Cherry Tree Hill for the views then down the East Coast and finished up at Bottom Bay for a couple of hours - then back to to the ship along the South Coast.

Went out with Cool Runnings Catamaran. Had a GREAT day of snorkeling, lunch, sailing, and an hour on the beach! I LOVE this beautiful island!

Considering this tour for our trip in June. Can you give more detail about your experience?

We just got back from Barbados on March 28th and took a private tour with Stephen “Mr. Cox” Clarke. We found him outside of the cruise building. Anyway, here's a brief description of what we did:

- Medford Mahogany Creations - Private tour with the owner / artist Reggie Medford. AWESOME

- Andromeda Gardens - You have to pay the admission fee.

- Drive thru forest

- Saw the "Black belly" sheep

- Bathsheba Rocks - This was AWESOME!! The beach was beautiful!!

- Christ Church Parish

- The Lion at the Military base

- Drove by the Governor's Mansion

- The Eric Holder, Jr. School

- Several other beaches including Accura Beach

There were so many sites and information that I can't remember it all. Anyway, Stephen indicated that I could provide his number and he will work with you. He loves to do private tours. His cell number is 216-233-0560.

Good luck. I LOVED Barbados and can't wait to return again!!

• 2 weeks later...
We had a taxi drop us at the Hilton, we walked the beach to the Boardwalk and followed that to Accra Beach. Stayed there a few hours and then walked across the street to "Just Grillin", just a little local place in the middle of a shopping center and had a flying fish sandwich that was excellent. There is snorkeling off of Accra, but you have to swim out a bit.

How far is this walk? I think this is what we might do here.

We went on a Catamarran tour with Silver Moon. It was a 12 person 5 hour tour including snorkeling with sea turtles, lunch and drinks. The experience was the best!! The captain and assistant were on top of our every want and need. The food was excellent and it was a very relaxing and exhilerating day. The water is beautiful.

How far is this walk? I think this is what we might do here.
The walk Eastward along Hastings Beach and the boardwalk is about 2 miles all told

but it's very pleasant, and you'll get your daily exercise this way

while viewing pleasant beach scenery.

It's quite do-able, once you're mobile (i.e. not walking with a cane, or suchlike).

You might never get past Hilton, once the taxi drops you there.

It's very pleasant at Hilton, right there on the beach.

You might 'get caught' halfway along at Coconut Court, on Hastings Beach,

-and go no further!? :) Who could blame you!

CCbeach-230.jpg

But once you're on the boardwalk, walking gets easier(firm underfoot)

and you'll probably go its 1.2 kilometres(3/4 mile) til you get to Accra / Rockley

where you can spend some time and then catch a taxi back to the port, when you're done.

We rented a car and drove around the island, swimming at various beaches on Caribbean side, then walked on the beaches on Atlatic side, you can't really swim over there as there are huge rocks and waves.. Then we stopped at Crane beach at south east part of Barbados.. Beautiful pink sand and scienary. :)

what & where for car rental?

Did you pick up car at pier, or did they take you to the car?

Archived