Beware Barcelona metro.

saddleman

Just got off the nine day western cruise on the Jade. We had a great time, met some really nice people, and have no complaints with NCL. This was my third cruise with them in the last twelve months, and other than Noro possibilities, it was fine.

Except for the Barcelona metro! Instead of taxis, we tried the metro. Lots of ups and downs through their system, but manageable. The problem was pick pockets. I was hit two days in a row by the thieves. Not much cash lost, as I kept a little money in my front pants pocket. But, the second day They got to my money belt hanging from my neck and inside my shirt. This was a scam all the way as we were crowded into an elevator, and robbed while being bustled about. Once again, not much money was taken. They even dropped my credit cards and drivers license to the ground in their own pouch. They wanted cash only.

So beware the Barcelona metro. If I ever go back, it will be taxis only. More expensive, but a whole lot safer.

Saddleman

Just got off the nine day western cruise on the Jade. We had a great time, met some really nice people, and have no complaints with NCL. This was my third cruise with them in the last twelve months, and other than Noro possibilities, it was fine.

Except for the Barcelona metro! Instead of taxis, we tried the metro. Lots of ups and downs through their system, but manageable. The problem was pick pockets. I was hit two days in a row by the thieves. Not much cash lost, as I kept a little money in my front pants pocket. But, the second day They got to my money belt hanging from my neck and inside my shirt. This was a scam all the way as we were crowded into an elevator, and robbed while being bustled about. Once again, not much money was taken. They even dropped my credit cards and drivers license to the ground in their own pouch. They wanted cash only.

So beware the Barcelona metro. If I ever go back, it will be taxis only. More expensive, but a whole lot safer.

Saddleman

Thanks for the heads up Saddleman. We'll be in BCN in about a week to do the same 9 day itinerary. Was there a particular or metro station or location that was the problem? The reason I ask is that on our return from the cruise we're planning to go from Barcelona Sants station to Espanya by metro (in order to catch the train to Montserrat). My plan had been to go by Metro since the fare is included in the Montserrat Combi ticket and it sounded so simple.

P.

very unfortunate. Can you tell us a little more? was it teenagers? edults? how many? which elevator? did you look like targets ( elderly.carry luggage etc) I think many of these crimes are opportunist and it is important not to get crowded (swarmed) or let folks get to close or go into confined areas when avoidable.

It may look stupid but hang on to you possesions when suspicious folks are around, even in your pockets or under your shirt, keep alert, and watch your stuff.

Sometimes it's professionals and even with all the precautions you can still get hit.

This maybe should be posted somewhere else as this is not really an NCL problem, but a problem that any cruiser may encounter

Again sorry to hear your story but hopefully someone else can learn from the misfortunes and protect themselves.

Thanks for the heads up Saddleman. We'll be in BCN in about a week to do the same 9 day itinerary. Was there a particular or metro station or location that was the problem? The reason I ask is that on our return from the cruise we're planning to go from Barcelona Sants station to Espanya by metro (in order to catch the train to Montserrat). My plan had been to go by Metro since the fare is included in the Montserrat Combi ticket and it sounded so simple.

P.

Always be diligent, are you taking your luggage with you? you can use the lockers at sants station to store your luggage in lockers and then catch the train from sants to airport after your done touring, if your time permits.

Always be diligent, are you taking your luggage with you? you can use the lockers at sants station to store your luggage in lockers and then catch the train from sants to airport after your done touring, if your time permits.

Yes, we're cabbing it to Sants from the ship, dropping off our luggage in the lockers there, then doing a day trip on our own to Montserrat. We're booked on a train late afternoon from Sants to Cerbere/Collioure (there was no drop charge for car rentals within France - astronomical charge if we rented in Barcelona and left it in Paris).

There was a recent update on the Barcelona Tourist info site warning of pick-pockets at the self-serve ticket machines in the Metro stations.

P.

Agree...have taken BCN metro many times with no issues. But if you look like a tourist (such as a money belt hanging from your neck), then you look like a target. Also, taking the elevator is a problem.

I always just lug my luggage onto the escalator and stand with it....nobody is close enough to me to take anything.

It's the same in any big city, not just Barcelona. One solution: keep your money & credit cards in your front pocket. If you're not easy to steal from, they'll find someone else.

I don't remember which station or line color where these occurred. Could have happened anywhere. We believe it was 18-25 year olds, in pairs or groups. They were taking advantage of tight situations. As to the money bag, it was under my shirt and was not showing, nor the straps. It was a ski money bag with two pouches with a zipper in each. About 3x4 inches. They opened a shirt button and one zipper. All in less than forty five seconds.

I am a seasoned traveler, and have never been accosted outside the states.

saddleman

As to the money bag, it was under my shirt and was not showing, nor the straps. It was a ski money bag with two pouches with a zipper in each. About 3x4 inches. They opened a shirt button and one zipper. All in less than forty five seconds.

Wow, they're good!:eek:

I feel your pain. I was also robbed on the metro. Thank goodness they did not get my real money (just a couple of hundred dollars) or any charge cards or documents. In my case the metro was really crowded and the group that robbed me looked like a "family" - 3 or 4 people together, smiling and laughing. However, my purse was slit with a razor blade ( I guess) so if I had moved the wrong way or the metro had bumped I could have been cut by the blade. I felt so stupid but at the same time so lucky not to have been injured. Still have the purse (as a reminder) - still love Barcelona - but would not take the metro again there and would be VERY protective of all personal documents and money anywhere that I went in Barcelona.

saddleman, sorry to hear that this happened to you.

But I hope that this will be a wake-up call to those who like taking their passports off the ship when they don't need to do so, and think that they'll be safe because they've been put in a hidden money pouch or similar.

You have to be very careful in some places in Europe becasue as the police in Barcelona told us, there are gypys who go from country to country in packs and use distraction tecniqueto rob you. Or they cut the back pocket of mens pants and wallet falls out. They use babies and also anyone with a map who asks you for directions can be pickpockets. Be careful everywhere and on Las Ramblas. Robbery is there biggest crime in Bcn

I don't remember which station or line color where these occurred. Could have happened anywhere. We believe it was 18-25 year olds, in pairs or groups. They were taking advantage of tight situations. As to the money bag, it was under my shirt and was not showing, nor the straps. It was a ski money bag with two pouches with a zipper in each. About 3x4 inches. They opened a shirt button and one zipper. All in less than forty five seconds.

I am a seasoned traveler, and have never been accosted outside the states.

saddleman

Wow. That is pretty brazen. Thanks for the warning.

So sorry to hear you were pick-pocketed and glad you were not hurt. Sounds like they were very experienced. It happens it many of the ports so the less cash you carry the better. It helps to keep your money in a front pants pocket. Harder to get into without being noticed. In most countries a photocopy of your passport is adequate so leave the real one on board ship. DS rarely carries his passport into port.

BTW - Don't be flattered when someone asks you for directions. They know you are not a local and are trying to get you to let your guard down and use the map as a distraction.

An amazing amount of people get picked within 5 minutes of getting off the ship in many ports.

My son-in-law is a former Marine who did two tours in Iraq. He is also a body builder so he doesn't look like an easy target. He went to Barcelona to visit our daughter (they were dating at the time) while she was in school there. He was there less than 1/2 hour when he realized his wallet was pick pocketed. Passport, license, money, everything gone. She figured it happened at the airport when they were greeting each other- young lovers tend to let down their guard:rolleyes:

The good news is that about a month later the state department returned his wallet intact except for the cash. Too bad he had already replaced everything!

You have to be very careful in some places in Europe becasue as the police in Barcelona told us, there are gypys who go from country to country in packs and use distraction tecniqueto rob you. Or they cut the back pocket of mens pants and wallet falls out. They use babies and also anyone with a map who asks you for directions can be pickpockets. Be careful everywhere and on Las Ramblas. Robbery is there biggest crime in Bcn

Gypsys are also operating outside Notre Dame cathedral in Paris.

But pick-pockets operate EVERYWHERE.

Not just in Barcelona, and frankly I found the BCN metro to be better lit, and less crowded than most.

Not saying to be unaware....heck if they're going to work in teams, so do we. We generally face each other on the metro, so we can watch what is happening around each other.

Situational awareness. don't leave home without it.

Sad to say but Barcelona has a terrible reputation here in the UK for this type of crime. As it is so near to us it is a popular short break destination. I know many people who have been victims there and it often features in the travel sections of our newspapers for this type of thing.

Rome and London are as bad. Be very, very careful when travelling in Europe. We have open borders and these gangs are therefore free to roam across a whole continent.

But if you look like a tourist (such as a money belt hanging from your neck), then you look like a target.

Agree, and probably the best statement of this thread. On my last trip to Barcelona, I was amazed at the number of people who just looked like the typical tourist. Granted, it is impossible to be 100% safe while away from home enjoying your travels, but, trying to blend in couldn't hurt.

Saddleman: I'm so sorry this happened to you.

When we were in Barcelona, we stayed at Hotel Melia and I can't recall how I heard about it but were were warned about Pickpocket

When the bus came to pick us up to take us to the ship there was maybe 2 or 3 buses and hundreds of passengers just standing outside waiting to get on the bus. I heard one poor elderly lady had her purse stolen, they took her money, passport and and all her documents. I really felt bad for her.

This is a great thread to remind and warn people to be careful.

On my last trip to Barcelona, I was amazed at the number of people who just looked like the typical tourist. Granted, it is impossible to be 100% safe while away from home enjoying your travels, but, trying to blend in couldn't hurt.

Agree, and no-one looks more like a tourist than me! On one of our cruises, in Barcelona, someone had a very expensive camera stolen on a bus, or may have been on the metro....whatever, the camera was in the backpack the guy carried. Vigilance is the key, be totally aware and do not stop and join the small crowds in La Rambla for the street acts, they are often set-up for pickpocket gangs!

Gypsys are also operating outside Notre Dame cathedral in Paris.

But pick-pockets operate EVERYWHERE.

Not just in Barcelona, and frankly I found the BCN metro to be better lit, and less crowded than most.

Not saying to be unaware....heck if they're going to work in teams, so do we. We generally face each other on the metro, so we can watch what is happening around each other.

Situational awareness. don't leave home without it.

Very good advice, hamrag. Thanks.

Several years ago, we also had a pickpocket attempt on the Metro in Barcelona and also on the airporter bus into town.

On the bus, we placed our luggage in the central area provided, however I sat very close to that area. On arrival, a well dressed woman started to take my (distinctive) bag and I immediately stopped her. After getting off the bus my husband said that he felt someone attempt to get into his pocket at the same time as the luggage incident - obviously a diversion. He slapped the hand away so they didn't get anything.

A short time after, we were taking our bags onto the Metro when my husband (a very large man) was surrounded by teens on the platform. He started shouting at them and they backed off.

Pretty scary stuff - we also had an attempt on the Rome metro.

Did this stop us from travelling - No, but we did learn some lessons - take a taxi if possible if you are arriving with significant baggage - always have an under your clothes waist wallet - keep copies of your passport, etc in another location as well as with someone at home. Always be observant of your surroundings - teens, gypsies are obvious risks, but a pickpocket could be anyone - one fellow traveller said her purse was pulled out from under her cafe table by a well dressed man with an umbrella (he was the only one around at the time, so she knew it was him)

We were thankful our important items were in waist wallets with zippers safety pinned to our clothes (we used baby diaper pins with the sliding head - glad I kept them after 30 years :D). I have recently also bought a PacSafe purse, but we will still use the waist wallets.

Also beware at the beach. A couple of years ago I was in Barcelona on a cruise and went to Barceloneta beach for the day with my DH. We set ourselves up on loungers and a trio of young women set themselves up nearby, with their backs to us. I dozed for a bit and then noticed a single man had set up his lounger behind them, between them and us. I dozed a bit more and when I woke up the man was gone and so was the purse of one of the women. They had placed their purses under their loungers (for 'safety' I guess) and being behind them, the man must have reached under the loungers and dragged the purse away without them seeing. I heard the victim say that she lost her money and her credit cards, and also her passport, which she took with her instead of leaving it in the hotel because she thought it was safer with her.

Yikes - I've read so many stories of the magnitude of pickpocketing, particularly in Barcelona.

I've already purchased my PacSafe bag and my waist belt. I've never liked the idea of anything hanging around my neck (... WAY too obvious if I need anything out of it), but the PacSafe and belt are more than sufficient for what I will need.

I've contemplated using the PacSafe here at home. Heaven knows my city isn't any safe than anywhere else, really.

Archived