RSVP 2011 Nieuw Amsterdam Roman Empire

jimnbillnpa

Well we have never been across the pond but my other half insists we go on this trip. It sounds like a few of you have went with RSVP to Europe. Please help me!!!!! I just guess I need some convincing!! I am being serious and worry about the long flight and sticking out in Europe as a dumb american.

American - Yes. Dumb - I don't think so! Go for it, we get stereotypical European tourists here too. ;)

My comments are based on past RSVP trips to the other side of the pond

Stella Solaris...Greek Islands

Odysseus....eastern Med

Royal Clipper....western Med......Some of the ports on the upcoming cruise

Regent Spirit....western Med....Some of the ports on the upcoming cruise

Westerdam....around Italy cruise.

All of the Med cruises were fantastic....well worth the money and the flight across the pond.

At no time did herds of RSVP cruisers on tours stick out or even attract attention. Some bus drivers looked bewildered when nothing but guys boarded tour buses.....but very quickly got into the festive mood. In fact tour bus time turned out to be fun and full of interaction with the tour guide narrating the sights being passed. In towns...no problem. Even the time there were 20 or more of us at the Trevi Fountain...one wearing a bright pink cowboy hat. Europeans dont sem to get phased.

Rome........worth the trip alone.

Ports are great...Tunisia is a new one and has me pondering crossing the pond.

This upcoming trip is a nice mixture of ports...big cities, smaller ones full of color.

Go Go Go Go Go Go Go Go ...did I say Go......you will not be disappointed.

American - Yes. Dumb - I don't think so! Go for it, we get stereotypical European tourists here too. ;)

I know, I know, I know.. guilty!!!;)

As far as the cruise you'll be floating around in an American gay bubble anyway. Ashore just enjoy and try to immerge yourself into a different culture. Don't be shy to ask questions, it just a good sign you show interest.

If you want go off the beaten track and explore all by yourself. The cruise is in July so most places in Italy will be packed with tourists beyond comfort. And the weather is likely to be very hot. So try to look for something else like Florence or Rome. For example in 2007 we took a local train from Livorno to the medieval city of Luca in Toscana. It's also the birthplace of Puccini. I imagine there will be also more Europeans on board who can give you lots of hints and tips.

Please be advised that Tunesia is a muslim country where homosexuality is not accepted at all. So no intimate behaviour, no army pattern pants, preferably longer pants and no tank tops. In case you do get in touch with the locals do not mention any sort of politics.

Also for those going on tour in Italy. Make sure you wear long pants and no tank-tops if you intend to visit a church. I worked as a tour guide for Princess and we always had to send loads of people back to the ship to dress properly.

I do imagine most of you are aware of this. A friend of mine was last year on Solstice visiting Egypt and was appalled how little the Atlantis crowd was familiar with these basics.

Same applies to this little dumb European who at times doesn't have a clue about popular American culture. And i am still geographically challenged when it comes to Midwest US states...:o

Ok so I am totaly having withdrawl from Eurodam.. I hadn't booked on board for 2011...

I worte to my TA and asked what my options were and I am really excited... I was planning on just booking for next February, but this Mediterranean Cruise sounds GREAT....

I think I might be booking this..... Woo Hoooo Italy !!!!!!! :D

I know, I know, I know.. guilty!!!;)

As far as the cruise you'll be floating around in an American gay bubble anyway. Ashore just enjoy and try to immerge yourself into a different culture. Don't be shy to ask questions, it just a good sign you show interest.

If you want go off the beaten track and explore all by yourself. The cruise is in July so most places in Italy will be packed with tourists beyond comfort. And the weather is likely to be very hot. So try to look for something else like Florence or Rome. For example in 2007 we took a local train from Livorno to the medieval city of Luca in Toscana. It's also the birthplace of Puccini. I imagine there will be also more Europeans on board who can give you lots of hints and tips.

Please be advised that Tunesia is a muslim country where homosexuality is not accepted at all. So no intimate behaviour, no army pattern pants, preferably longer pants and no tank tops. In case you do get in touch with the locals do not mention any sort of politics.

Also for those going on tour in Italy. Make sure you wear long pants and no tank-tops if you intend to visit a church. I worked as a tour guide for Princess and we always had to send loads of people back to the ship to dress properly.

I do imagine most of you are aware of this. A friend of mine was last year on Solstice visiting Egypt and was appalled how little the Atlantis crowd was familiar with these basics.

Same applies to this little dumb European who at times doesn't have a clue about popular American culture. And i am still geographically challenged when it comes to Midwest US states...:o

I really want to thank you all for your comments and words of wisdom!! It truely means a lot coming from the extended family I am used to traveling with. I honestly can't image traveling this type of vacation alone with my partner and admit being with my extended RSVP family will make it more comfortable for me! You are all wonderful and so happy I met you on Cruise Critic and some of you in person on the ships.

Odysseus....eastern Med

All of the Med cruises were fantastic....well worth the money and the flight across the pond.

At no time did herds of RSVP cruisers on tours stick out or even attract attention. Some bus drivers looked bewildered when nothing but guys boarded tour buses.....but very quickly got into the festive mood. In fact tour bus time turned out to be fun and full of interaction with the tour guide narrating the sights being passed. In towns...no problem. Even the time there were 20 or more of us at the Trevi Fountain...one wearing a bright pink cowboy hat. Europeans dont sem to get phased.

This upcoming trip is a nice mixture of ports...big cities, smaller ones full of color.

Tom,

Thank you. I soooo missed you on the trip this year for Eurodam. I am going to hunt you down on the next trip that I know we are on together. LOL to make sure I get to at least say Hi!

Thank you for the kind words.

Now here is a word for you.....Hawaiii.

You only live twice .....(James Bond movie theme).

So once was Eurodam...Hawaii is twice.

Cut back on rubber wear (diving gear), hair gel, mascara (butch shades of course), theater, movies, bread, milk, eggs, and scrape the money together to do the Hawaii cruise.

YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT>>>YOU WANT IT BAD>>>>>BOOK IT BOOK IT , show that credit crd no mercy.

Then you can teach Peter the true art of going down........beneath the waves.:D

Thank you for the kind words.

Now here is a word for you.....Hawaiii.

You only live twice .....(James Bond movie theme).

So once was Eurodam...Hawaii is twice.

Cut back on rubber wear (diving gear), hair gel, mascara (butch shades of course), theater, movies, bread, milk, eggs, and scrape the money together to do the Hawaii cruise.

YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT>>>YOU WANT IT BAD>>>>>BOOK IT BOOK IT , show that credit crd no mercy.

Then you can teach Peter the true art of going down........beneath the waves.:D

I sure wish we could do Hawaii!! There is just no way we can this time becuase of our schedules. It would be an awesome trip!!!

Odysseus....eastern Med

Stella Solaris Greek Isles? the one in 1993? I was on that one :)

I did the Stella in 1992.

I still say the cruises on really small intimate ships were better. The Stella was no luxury barge...but what fun.

When we pulled into Santoini and they dropped the anchor without the chain....what a memory.

That cruise was still the best one I ever took...Loved Greece, loved Istanbul.

Wish RSVP could do a small ship Greek Island cruise again..in 2012. There are Eurpoean lines with refurbished older small ships...I'd do "em.

I ain't no size queen like some people I know on Cruise Critic...its always gotta be big big big:D:D:D

Hope to see you on the Hawaii journey

Tom

We will be on this one as well. Along with 10 (so far) of our friends. I know R.S.V.P. is more expensive but I have had straight friends tell me they would rather go on one of our cruises than a straight one because it seems we have more fun than they do.

We will be on this one as well. Along with 10 (so far) of our friends. I know R.S.V.P. is more expensive but I have had straight friends tell me they would rather go on one of our cruises than a straight one because it seems we have more fun than they do.

Welcome! Several of us just came off the Eurodam last month and have already booked this. Several of us are also booked on the RSVP Hawaii cruise in October! Wouldn't want to travel any other way!:cool:

Welcome! Several of us just came off the Eurodam last month and have already booked this. Several of us are also booked on the RSVP Hawaii cruise in October! Wouldn't want to travel any other way!:cool:

Most of our group were on the Eastern Carribean cruise last February. Several of them have done a few cruises and a couple of trips to Europe together. We are like one big happy family! I don't think anyone will be doing Hawaii, although I would love to! I love Hawaii but I will hopefully be teaching full time and I doubt my principle will let me off for a week.

This will be my second cruise and first trip to Europe.

Well... I woudn't say we won't travel any other way... but it is a good way to travel. :) Our QM2 cruise was fun too - in a different way. I actually want to try a non-gay charter cruise to experience a relaxing time. ;)

Maybe we could get a small group of about 6 to take a mainstream cruise......since the RSVP spring 2011 is blah. Not to mention there are some great rates.

That way we could have great dinners, harass the bar staff.

I'd even consider a Disney 4 nighter.........

Maybe we could get a small group of about 6 to take a mainstream cruise......since the RSVP spring 2011 is blah. Not to mention there are some great rates.

That way we could have great dinners, harass the bar staff.

I'd even consider a Disney 4 nighter.........

Was thinking today that we HAVE to do SOMETHING warm in February. It seems odd not being booked for the Caribbean. But I digress, we're on the Roman Empire thread. We must discuss winter while in Hawaii :D and the boys in Barcelona while we're in here. Our crazy group is thinking of everything including a villa in Sitges for a few days before we leave Barcelona before or after the cruise.

Was thinking today that we HAVE to do SOMETHING warm in February. It seems odd not being booked for the Caribbean. But I digress, we're on the Roman Empire thread. We must discuss winter while in Hawaii :D and the boys in Barcelona while we're in here. Our crazy group is thinking of everything including a villa in Sitges for a few days before we leave Barcelona before or after the cruise.

Sitges is worth it! We did Sitges and Barcelona after a hectic week in Amsterdam for the Gay Games in 1998 - Sitges was great for some relaxing and recovering afterwards.

Sitges is worth it! We did Sitges and Barcelona after a hectic week in Amsterdam for the Gay Games in 1998 - Sitges was great for some relaxing and recovering afterwards.

More info please!!! We've talked about renting a villa for a few days beforehand, Bill and I are thinking a few days in the UK (family, friends, etc.) then meet everyone in Sitges before we board. Have found a couple of sites for rentals but most seem to be week only. Would only want 3 or 4 days. Do you think it would be best after the crusie?

This cruise is a very port intensive and pretty exhausting so I suggest you take a break after that. Make sure you book things well in advance as the whole of Europe is having holidays in July/August

Yep feel kind of confused too with no cruise bookings in sight......;)

• 2 weeks later...

OK I am booked.. Jaymz and Myself are going and I have 2 other friends booked on the cruise as well... OK so what is this Sitges that you speak of??? I was thinking of flying in early and hitting up Venice.. Atleast for one night as I have always wanted to go there.

OK I am booked.. Jaymz and Myself are going and I have 2 other friends booked on the cruise as well... OK so what is this Sitges that you speak of??? I was thinking of flying in early and hitting up Venice.. Atleast for one night as I have always wanted to go there.

Sitges was suggested by another RSVP friend. It is a gay friendly coastal city about 30 minutes SW of Barcelona by train. Look this up: I don't know if CC will allow it but e-mail me privately or just Google "Gay Sitges" It looks really cool and might be a good place to chill for a couple of days after the cruise (Reint's suggestion). We were toying with the idea of renting a villa for a few days.

Our friend Tom from St. Pete suggested a couple of days in Sitges before the cruise to get acclimated.

Sitges is easy ... we took a direct train right from Barcelona/BCN airport for the relatively short ride south.

After much debate the three of us decided to book the Feb 2011 RSVP Cruise again. Even though the ship is very nice, we felt it was not the best venue for the parties. But you can not get everything you want.:)

Atlantis is on the MEGA ship in Jan. They also moved the March cruise into April.

Being from the cold NE, and need a mid winter break, we went with RSVP again. We hope to see everyone there.

1528334256_MartiGrah1.jpg.4dde7cc69d4345c92b8f295e4b186817.jpg

Archived