Hey, RCI, enough silliness already

hkarnie

Hello, everyone!

Just got back from my 5-day RCI cruise. Overall, it was very nice and certainly worth what we paid. Service, ship, food...not bad, yet not extraordinary. Mostly, I just loved getting away and not having to cook.

However, by Day 3, I was so done with the over-the-top silliness that I feel has gotten several times worse since my last RCI trip five years ago. The cruise directors/comedians. The really dumb and not really so much funny contests. And, my biggest frustration, singing during dinner. Seriously, these are hardworking people. You do not have to make them sing for my entertainment. Especially when it means that for our last two nights, dinner for our 8:30pm seating ended at 11:15pm due in large part to the painful waiter entertaining.

Am I alone in this? I appreciate that some people get a real kick of this. And I just loved the karaoke contest and Quest was hoot, but I sought those things out. Other times, it just seemed really in-your-face and brought the overall "classiness" of the trip down a few pegs.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Stop the cruise director crap. Focus on service & customer satisfaction.

Whenever someone starts the ......"Whose your favorite CD......" thread, I always think my favorite CD is whoever is the quietest!! :)

Thank GOD overhead announcements can be turned off in your stateroom ! :)

Hello, everyone!

Just got back from my 5-day RCI cruise. Overall, it was very nice and certainly worth what we paid. Service, ship, food...not bad, yet not extraordinary. Mostly, I just loved getting away and not having to cook.

However, by Day 3, I was so done with the over-the-top silliness that I feel has gotten several times worse since my last RCI trip five years ago. The cruise directors/comedians. The really dumb and not really so much funny contests. And, my biggest frustration, singing during dinner. Seriously, these are hardworking people. You do not have to make them sing for my entertainment. Especially when it means that for our last two nights, dinner for our 8:30pm seating ended at 11:15pm due in large part to the painful waiter entertaining.

Am I alone in this? I appreciate that some people get a real kick of this. And I just loved the karaoke contest and Quest was hoot, but I sought those things out. Other times, it just seemed really in-your-face and brought the overall "classiness" of the trip down a few pegs.

I agree about the wait staff "show". No real need for it.

But I will disagree with some of your other points. Our cruise director was okay, nothing spectacular, but not annoying by any stretch of imagination. She didn't search you out, but if you needed to exchange some thoughts ideas she was around. Our guest comedian was hilarious, especially at the late night "adults only" show. I think some of the folks wet themselves from laughing so hard.

We don't care about RC production shows so we skipped.

The Quest was a waste of time for me and I left promptly.

I never liked Billy Joel, but the tribute to him at the piano bar kept me there for the entire show.

So you see how we all have different opinions on what's entertaining and what's not?

Don't forget, ships have to cater to so many different ages, taste, likes, dislikes, etc. They can't just satisfy one particular group because the rest will end up being unsatisfied customers.

They walk a fine line when chosing entertainment, and while it may not be the best, in your face type stuff, overall I believe they do an acceptable job.

We always do late seating and are generally done by 10:30...but we don't rush...we love dinner and talking to our tablemates...

I've never seen where the waiters "entertain" but once or twice on a 7 nighter...and it doesn't take THAT long...but, I too, could do without it.

I agree with you about the singing in the dinning room, but I think it is a tradition. To me it seems kind of demeaning. The other stuff is fun. Sorry, but I like the Mr. Sexy legs and bellyflop contests.

I agree with Sandy 100%. I book MyTime Dining now. Virtually no performing there!

I LOVE the Sexy Legs and Belly Flop contests, as well as Quest, Love & Marriage, the 70s party, the CD's jokes, etc.

While it may seem overdone to most of you..Just think of the cruiser that this is their "first ever cruise"...Let them enjoy every aspect of a cruise that we have all seen and done over and over again...Enjoy to the newbies !!!!!;):D:D

BTW....I am still entertained and just as excited every time I have gotten onboard since my first cruise in the early 70's...:D:D

We are crusing for the first time with RCCL on the Mariner in June, having only been on Princess for prior cruises. While recognizing that cruise lines must cater to a diverse group of people with wildly varying ideas of what's entertaining...I don't find the "sexy legs" and "belly flop" type of thing much fun. Princess does their variations on these but you can seek out one of the other two pools to get away from it. In researching our cruise, it looks to me like the only pools are together and as such, if one does not find pool contest entertainment amusing, you don't stay by the pool. True?

What are the alternatives if you would rather have peace and quiet and a cold drink?

Esmo

We are crusing for the first time with RCCL on the Mariner in June, having only been on Princess for prior cruises. While recognizing that cruise lines must cater to a diverse group of people with wildly varying ideas of what's entertaining...I don't find the "sexy legs" and "belly flop" type of thing much fun. Princess does their variations on these but you can seek out one of the other two pools to get away from it. In researching our cruise, it looks to me like the only pools are together and as such, if one does not find pool contest entertainment amusing, you don't stay by the pool. True?

What are the alternatives if you would rather have peace and quiet and a cold drink?

Esmo

Mariner is a Voyager class ship, correct? There will be a completely separate kids pool at the back of the ship, the main pool in the center and the adults only pool separated by a wall and doors. The solarium pool is decorated to be very classy and upscale. It is a quiet oasis from the main pool silly stuff, if you want to escape.

Well my GF thought it was funny and many others thought too. I wasn't there. I was doing the theater backstage tour. Just move over by the other pool as these shows are usually done right by the pool bar.

After all, it's an hour out of the entire cruise, and with so many other options available, isn't it possible to plan something different. It's an hour folks.

Hello, everyone!

As the Michael Jackson song goes: You are not alone! ;) I fully agree about the singing at dinner. I always feel bad for them. They are soooo busy and need to stop everything to put on there silly show.

That is the beautiful thing about cruising..u can do what u want..no one forces u to participate..you make it what u want..I for one love the silliness and what it represents..I remember my first few times cruising..I thought this was a special touch..I still get a kick out of it..I guess if one gets tired of this and it starts to affect their mood during the cruise, I would find another line..I am a loyal RCL cruiser..for me, i will take the singing and "goofiness" any day compared to other lines..IMO!! Happy Cruising to all!

I am not a fan of dining room entertainment by the wait staff. One night is fine but that is all in my opinion. On one of our Carnival cruises I remember singing every night and it gets old very fast. All the other shows are great in my opinion even if we choose not to attend them.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one, but that other people are getting a kick out of it, which is why I'm sure they do it in the first place.

It just seemed really constant on this last trip.

And ChipLondon, it did occur to me that the difference between the last cruise and this cruise was the five-year difference that had taken place in me. Does this divide on younger vs. older lines?

Am I supposed to "graduate" to an older cruise line now? Which one would that be?

While it may seem overdone to most of you..Just think of the cruiser that this is their "first ever cruise"...Let them enjoy every aspect of a cruise that we have all seen and done over and over again...Enjoy to the newbies !!!!!;):D:D

BTW....I am still entertained and just as excited every time I have gotten onboard since my first cruise in the early 70's...:D:D

I couldn't agree with you more!!

Hello, everyone!

You may want to give Celebrity a try. I enjoyed the stuff you described on my first Royal Cruise, but by the third it (to me) started to become a bit cheesy. I now prefer a bit more sedate cruise experience and have found that Celebrity has minimal of these activities you describe, while still offers a lot to do. If you have not sailed with them, I encourage you to check them out.

So what you are saying is that what you used to enjoy, now you do not. It is the same Singing in the Dining room, and probabbly the same jokes from the CD or comedians. So is it them or is it you that has changed?

You make a good point. Some forget that they may have once enjoyed these things and that just because they have become old hat or less enjoyable for them, there are as many or more for whom these experiences are totally new. I suppose that the twentieth time someone saw Abbott and Costello do their "Who's on First?" routine, they may have thought that it was tired or that it was time for some new material. The line can't be all things to all people and perhaps we need to realize that just because we don't enjoy or appreciate something doesn't mean that others won't and none of us is qualified to be the final arbiter of what should or should not make up the RCI cruise experience. I had a friend who, upon returning from her first cruise, complained that I hadn't told her about the flaming Baked Alaska parade which, to her, was one of the highlights of her cruise. I also think it is presumptuous to project our own feelings about the singing waiters, on the wait staff and declare that it somehow demeans them. Most seem to be enjoying themselves if you can go by their outward appearances and without more specific evidence to the contrary I find that describing the event as demeaning says more about the person offering that description than it does about the event itself.:)

Actually, perhaps we need a little more silliness in our lives. :)

Things like the sexy legs or belly flop contests can easily be avoided by going to the Solarium. I sometimes enjoy the cheesy poolside, karoke, and other activities.

The thing about the above activities is that you can chose to go somewhere else and do what makes you happy. However, the dinning room singing makes me feel like a captive audience. It makes me feel stuck. You have to support your waiter and wait for dessert. I wouldn't mind it once a cruise but it's been more than that on my last couple of cruises. I'd prefer to finish my meal and get out to the fun!

Archived