Hey, RCI, enough silliness already

hkarnie

Things like the sexy legs or belly flop contests can easily be avoided by going to the Solarium. I sometimes enjoy the cheesy poolside, karoke, and other activities.

The thing about the above activities is that you can chose to go somewhere else and do what makes you happy. However, the dinning room singing makes me feel like a captive audience. It makes me feel stuck. You have to support your waiter and wait for dessert. I wouldn't mind it once a cruise but it's been more than that on my last couple of cruises. I'd prefer to finish my meal and get out to the fun!

On our last couple of cruises it has only been twice during the week. If I felt that 'stuck' I would probably forego dessert that evening. Missing dessert a night or two might even be a good idea.:D

Well, I want to add that I dislike all that singing Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary, etc. I see no reason for all that singing and happy stuff!

To combat this overwhelming tendency towards enjoyment and happiness I recommend that the embarkation process start with a mandatory tour of the morgue. That should set a more appropriate tone!

Also, for those of you who can't stand the waiters "singing", in the old days the entertainment always included a performance by the cruise

staff of the skit "If I were Not Upon the Sea". That would really take you over the edge.

Of course, I enjoyed it because it was silly and corny, along with horse races on the deck and skeet shooting.

When did we all become SO serious? Oh for a return to simple joys.

Of course you can always cruise with another line like Holland American where an exciting morning starts with a good glass of prune juice.

(not that I have anything against prune juice producers).

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one, but that other people are getting a kick out of it, which is why I'm sure they do it in the first place.

It just seemed really constant on this last trip.

And ChipLondon, it did occur to me that the difference between the last cruise and this cruise was the five-year difference that had taken place in me. Does this divide on younger vs. older lines?

Am I supposed to "graduate" to an older cruise line now? Which one would that be?

I think that's exactly what RCI would like you to do. And I think they have Celebrity and Azamara in mind, since they're in the same corporate family. That and their model doesn't seem contemplate people cruising multiple times a year, which explains why Piano Man, City of Dreams, etc. never seem to leave (and don't go to Princess - they had Piano Man on Sapphire in December). Hairspray is going to be on Oasis for five years - that tells me that they don't expect a lot of repeat business.

I don't care about all of the silly games, since I can avoid them. I would like to see bingo and art auction announcements limited to once per day. Few things are more annoying to me than being at the rail of the Promenade Deck watching the sea and being jolted out of my reverie by Bingo [fill in the blank]. And I HATE singing waiters on any cruise line. All it does is make my dinner last longer. Even in MTD the waiters end up running off to "perform".

Thanks to everyone who had something to add that either agreed or disagreed with my original thought. I wanted someone to challenge what I had experienced and to give me another perspective.

What I didn't want or need was the nastiness comments or the biting jabs that I've seen happen on other threads, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Is there a whole contingent of Cruise Critic posters who entertain themselves this way? If so, count me OUT.

Mariner is a Voyager class ship, correct? There will be a completely separate kids pool at the back of the ship, the main pool in the center and the adults only pool separated by a wall and doors. The solarium pool is decorated to be very classy and upscale. It is a quiet oasis from the main pool silly stuff, if you want to escape.

Only the first three voyager class ships have adventure beach (Voyager, Explorer, Adventure). The two newest voyager class ships (Navigator and Mariner) have an expanded teen area instead.

On our last couple of cruises it has only been twice during the week. If I felt that 'stuck' I would probably forego dessert that evening. Missing dessert a night or two might even be a good idea.:D

That's exactly what we did on the Freedom this month! Besides, it was 7pm and the kids were itching to get up to Adventure Ocean. :D

And, my biggest frustration, singing during dinner. Seriously, these are hardworking people. You do not have to make them sing for my entertainment. Especially when it means that for our last two nights, dinner for our 8:30pm seating ended at 11:15pm due in large part to the painful waiter entertaining.

That is why I gave up the Dining Room & became a Windjammer-only person.

I also think it is presumptuous to project our own feelings about the singing waiters, on the wait staff and declare that it somehow demeans them. Most seem to be enjoying themselves if you can go by their outward appearances and without more specific evidence to the contrary I find that describing the event as demeaning says more about the person offering that description than it does about the event itself.:)

Actually, perhaps we need a little more silliness in our lives. :)

While I am sure that you would like to assume that these hard working men and women who are waving little flags and singing to entertain you are happy because they are smiling, I can assure you from personal experience, most are not. It is the end of the week, they are tired and in the weeds. They smile because they have to. This "person offering the description" knows this from my own personal experience of a similar job in college, and I can assure you, it is demeaning. :cool:

While I am sure that you would like to assume that these hard working men and women who are waving little flags and singing to entertain you are happy because they are smiling, I can assure you from personal experience, most are not. It is the end of the week, they are tired and in the weeds. They smile because they have to. This "person offering the description" knows this from my own personal experience of a similar job in college, and I can assure you, it is demeaning. :cool:

Well you are assuming that because you found it personally demeaning, the same sentiment is necessarily held by the majority of those singing waiters? You could be correct but I don't think that even your own experience qualifies you to make such a general statement about how others feel in such a situation. What one person finds demeaning, others may not and I don't think it is accurate to transfer your feelings to others and assert that those are their feelings as well.

Well you are assuming that because you found it personally demeaning, the same sentiment is necessarily held by the majority of those singing waiters? You could be correct but I don't think that even your own experience qualifies you to make such a general statement about how others feel in such a situation. What one person finds demeaning, others may not and I don't think it is accurate to transfer your feelings to others and assert that those are their feelings as well.

You know, you are probably so right and I'm sure it is the highlight of their week. Thank you for sharing your wisdom. :D

I agree that the singing is annoying, but other people like it. As a total aside, my college roommate had this fancy wedding that I was in, and she said we all had to be seated up front early to see a "show" they had prepared for us. We figured it was a band or something. No, it was the waitstaff coming out of the kitchen doing some silly dance with our plates of food, singing a song and then lifting the silver tops all at once. She spent a ridiculous sum on the wedding, and she considered this ridiculous singing the highlight of the whole night!

My point? Different strokes for different folks.

By the time it gets to the singing night, we're usually eating at the WJ/Portifino/JR because we're sick of the food anyway. We actually were quite entertained by the pool games this time, but always bring out iPods and a book just in case. Like others have said, the nice thing about cruises is there is so much to do--or not do--if you want. The cruise staff needs to prepare for those people that expect non-stop entertainment; I know I can entertain myself by staring at the water!

While I've only been on 4 (soon to be 5) cruises which probably still classifies me as a newbie, I enjoy all the "silliness" onboard. The MDR song is great fun. I love a cruise director that is always a part of the action...not one that sits behind the scenes. I still love the cheezy game shows, piano bars, and parades in the promenade.

To each their own I guess. I do think that there is a lot of truth in the fact that you have to remember that it is always someone's first time cruising though and they should also have the fun of experiencing each of these for a first time.

I will agree, eliminate the singing in the MDR most of the staff is just lip syncing anyway.

Say it isn't so:eek:. I should have known though. With all those different nationalities on board, some of whom you can't understand sometimes, they all sing in perfect English, with no accents. Okay, Royal, you got me on that one;)

While I've only been on 4 (soon to be 5) cruises which probably still classifies me as a newbie, I enjoy all the "silliness" onboard. The MDR song is great fun. I love a cruise director that is always a part of the action...not one that sits behind the scenes. I still love the cheezy game shows, piano bars, and parades in the promenade.

To each their own I guess. I do think that there is a lot of truth in the fact that you have to remember that it is always someone's first time cruising though and they should also have the fun of experiencing each of these for a first time.

You are absolutely right, but unfortunately there are those who believe that if something doesn't appeal to them, it should be eliminated. To claim that ten or fifteen minutes on two nights of a seven night cruise is a major impediment to enjoying one's dinner in the MDR, or to claim that this relatively brief interruption in service wreaks havoc with anyone's evening schedule is an exaggeration beyond my comprehension. :rolleyes: As the French say:"a chacon son gout".

I also don't care to hear/watch the dining room show. It's cheesy and awkward. We went to the Love and Marriage(?) show on our first cruise and then never again to another show. I don't care what they do at the pool, it doesn't stop me from getting a tan and a drink. I couldn't tell you the name of any cruise director we've ever had. We make our own fun and that's fine by us.

I can do without the poor singing waiters.. they're getting so stretched thin that I'd rather have them provide better table service attention and less singing. How about a solo strolling violinist or something occasionally instead?

I also wouldn't mind the silly fun and games at various times if they'd at least introduce *new* jokes, games, material into the mix. It gets a bit too predictable which makes it not only less enjoyable but downright annoying at times.

Hello, everyone!

Just got back from my 5-day RCI cruise. Overall, it was very nice and certainly worth what we paid. Service, ship, food...not bad, yet not extraordinary. Mostly, I just loved getting away and not having to cook.

However, by Day 3, I was so done with the over-the-top silliness that I feel has gotten several times worse since my last RCI trip five years ago. The cruise directors/comedians. The really dumb and not really so much funny contests. And, my biggest frustration, singing during dinner. Seriously, these are hardworking people. You do not have to make them sing for my entertainment. Especially when it means that for our last two nights, dinner for our 8:30pm seating ended at 11:15pm due in large part to the painful waiter entertaining.

Am I alone in this? I appreciate that some people get a real kick of this. And I just loved the karaoke contest and Quest was hoot, but I sought those things out. Other times, it just seemed really in-your-face and brought the overall "classiness" of the trip down a few pegs.

Thanks for your thoughts.

WE HAVE A TOTALLY DIFFERENT TAKE ON THIS..

I'VE NOTICED WHEN THE WAITSTAFF IS GOING TO PERFORM, 95% OF THE PEOPLE IN THE DINING ROOM GET INVOLVED, ENJOY IT, WAVE THEIR NAPKINS, SING ALONG, AND IN GENERAL APPRECIATE THE EXTRA EFFORT.

I'VE TAKEN NUMEROUS CRUISES AND USUALLY WHEN THE WAITSTAFF IS GOING TO SING AND PERFORM, THEY MAKE A SPECIAL POINT TO ASK THAT WE LOOK FOR THEM IN THE LINE AND WHEN WE TAKE PICTURES THEY HAM IT UP AND ENJOY THEMSELVES. ON EVERY CRUISE THEY CHECKED BACK WITH US TO ASK IF WE ENJOYED THE PERFORMANCE AND TELLING US HOW MUCH FUN THEY HAD. I HAVE NEVER RUN INTO ANYONE, EXCEPT ON THIS THREAD, THAT DIDN'T ENJOY AND GET INVOLVED IN THE WAITSTAFF PERFORMANCE.

AS FAR AS THE CD AND HIS STAFF, IT'S THEIR JOB TO GET THINGS GOING AND GET EVERYONE INVOLVED, WHICH I FIND THAT THEY DO AND DO IT WELL. THEY ARE ENTERTAINERS!

GETTING OUT OF THE DINING ROOM AT 11:15 PM SEEMS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS TO ME. IF YOU'RE THERE AT 8:30 IT'S SEEM IMPOSSIBLE TO LEAVE AT 11:15 THE WAITSTAFF PERFORMANCE IS AT MOST 15 MIN. AND IT'S ALWAYS BEFORE DESSERT..AND DINNER TAKES ABOUT 1 1/2 HRS. AND THAT'S NOT A HURRIED DINNER.

WE ENJOY AND APPRECIATE EVERY ASPECT OF AN RCI CRUISE, AND THE EXTRA EFFORT THEY PUT INTO MAKING SURE THE PASSENGERS HAVE A FABULOUS TIME.

WE TRY TO DO EVERYTHING THE SHIP HAS TO OFFER, FROM POOLSIDE BUFFOONERY TO A QUIET DRINK AT THE SCHOONER BAR AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN.

JUST ONE LAST THOUGHT, IT ALSO SEEMS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS TO ME, TO PAY $500.00 PP TO SIT BY A POOL AND LISTEN TO YOUR I POD WHEN YOU CAN DO THE SAME THING FOR $50.00 AT ANY HOLIDAY INN, BUT I GUESS THAT IS WHY THEY MAKE CHOCOLATE, VANILLA AND STRAWBERRY.

JOEY:cool:

Archived