Would it be weird to go on an excursion alone?

utseabee

I would really LOVE to go horseback riding in Skagway, but i can't see my husband being, ummm, comfortable with a long ride. We also want to do the Klondike rock climbing excursion. So I figured i could wake up early and go horseback riding, and he can sleep in, and then we can meet up to go rock climbing.

Does anyone go on excursions alone? And how weird would it be? And are two excursions in one port too much? This is our first cruise, so I really have no idea what to expect.

I don't think its that unusual to go by yourself. No one except maybe hubby would notice.

The long port times in Skagway make it pretty easy to do 2 excursions compared to some of other ports of call. We had time for lunch and shopping between the 2 we did.

Here are some pictures from the rock climbing when we went a few years ago. They do a great job of tailoring it to your abilities.

I would really LOVE to go horseback riding in Skagway, but i can't see my husband being, ummm, comfortable with a long ride. We also want to do the Klondike rock climbing excursion. So I figured i could wake up early and go horseback riding, and he can sleep in, and then we can meet up to go rock climbing.

Does anyone go on excursions alone? And how weird would it be? And are two excursions in one port too much? This is our first cruise, so I really have no idea what to expect.

I don't think it would be wierd.

Just allow plenty of time in between the two excursions.

It is no fun to have to rush.

You'll need plenty of time to leave one excursion and get back onto the ship.....

and regroup, before disembarking the ship again.

Perhaps plan to have lunch on the ship?

Alaska is amazing.

Plan well....

and relax !

Have fun!

When we were in Alaska on a Princess cruise, my wife had no interest in taking a helicopter tour that included a walk on a glacier so I went by myself and did not feel the least out of place. If there is something that you really want to do, and can't find someone to accompany you, go for it anyway. Chances are that you may even find fellow passengers who will be on the excursion with you and would enjoy your company.:) Don't come back from your cruise regretting that you didn't do something that might well have been a highlight of your trip.

My DH always said we'd never get him on a horse, but we managed to persuade him to go for it as Western style saddles are much more comfortable than English saddles.

He liked it so much he came on another trek later on the same holiday.:D

So don't rule him out. As long as he's over 4ft 8" and less than 250lbs he can go riding like the rest of us. (My DD is very disappointed she will not be riding, she is not 13yo, another of the restrictions)

When you're riding along in a line you might not be next to your family anyway, so you will likely be looking at the back of a stranger anyway, whether you go on your own or not.(and probably listening to their horse break wind loudly too - always an icebreaker when the groups participants don't know each other)

Hubby is well, but due to some early in life injuries, can't walk far or stand still for a long time. It is why we cruise. That way we can each locate activities that meet our needs and wishes (usually without a wheelchair). For example, I would never fish. Fishing is something he can do as long as he can walk for short distances. He fishes, I hike. He flies, I take walking tours. We always find something to do together at some point, but the best part about solo tours and cruising is that we each make groups of new ship friends that we can introduce to each other!!

Double the fun. Meeting people in a casual cruise atmosphere is the best activity on board. The more, the merrier. Be sure to take advantage of any CC meet and greet you might find.

If only I could just remember people's names!!

I am going horseback riding on my own since my mother can't ride.

We are taking Southeast Tour's Yukon Adventure. They take you up in a van, drop off the riders, take any others on a driving excursion, and come pick you up for the trip back down. At least that what it said somewhere on the website, I am waiting for my confirmation.

When will you be there?

• 3 weeks later...

I say go, go, go. I am single and travel with my parents, so there is A LOT of excursions I do on my own since I like outdoors type things and they like to stroll the ports. On every excursion I wind up meeting fellow passengers who are on that excursion because they like the same thing, so you're not really "alone".

I have done the rock-climbing excursion alone and I'm actually looking at the horseback riding myself for our second trip to Alaska at the end of May.

Enjoy your trip!

Tracy

i travel alone so always book an excursion for one. nice to do whatever you want and i've met some really great people that have made for some great memories.

I am going horseback riding on my own since my mother can't ride.

We are taking Southeast Tour's Yukon Adventure. They take you up in a van, drop off the riders, take any others on a driving excursion, and come pick you up for the trip back down. At least that what it said somewhere on the website, I am waiting for my confirmation.

When will you be there?

We are cruising the first week of August.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was just worried about being a loner with a bunch of families and couples.

And thanks for the pictures of the Rock Climbing, it looks amazing!

My DH always said we'd never get him on a horse, but we managed to persuade him to go for it as Western style saddles are much more comfortable than English saddles.

He liked it so much he came on another trek later on the same holiday.:D

So don't rule him out. As long as he's over 4ft 8" and less than 250lbs he can go riding like the rest of us. (My DD is very disappointed she will not be riding, she is not 13yo, another of the restrictions)

When you're riding along in a line you might not be next to your family anyway, so you will likely be looking at the back of a stranger anyway, whether you go on your own or not.(and probably listening to their horse break wind loudly too - always an icebreaker when the groups participants don't know each other)

my husband and i have split up for excursions before - he loves snorkeling but i can't stand being under water so when we're in the Caribbean we almost always split up at least one day.

on a side note: not sure who the other poster booked with but my son who's 4'6" and only 8 is going horseback riding with us. Southeast Tours accommodates those smaller and younger by having smaller horses.

I don't think it would be weird at all. I'm sure no one will notice or pay any mind to the fact that you're alone. Now that my husband and I have a toddler, he often does excursions on his own. It takes time to get used to, but I'm sure you'll be fine. Have fun!

Archived