Question Re: Canelletos Dining

sweet sheep

I probably spelled the name wrong but here is my question!

I believe that they do not charge for eating there but you need reservations. Are there any costs at all (tipping them after dinner)

Any insights would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

The Canaletto is a wonderful restaurant with no additional charge other than the sodas or alcoholic beverages you wish to order. I would suggest reservations if you have a specific time in mind to eat (perhaps to coordinate with other activities like shows, etc). It is a very popular place!!

I would suggest the Penne ala Vodka - fabulous dish, and no - you cannot taste the vodka in it.

And yes - we do tip the waiter at the end of the meal. Just our choice - we always tip for good service.

Enjoy!! :)

the Lido. You need reservations and the food is really good.

I would suggest reservations if you have a specific time in mind to eat

Enjoy!! :)

I'm confused. Do you need reservations? Does it depend on the ship as to whether you need reservations?

I agree with you that the penne alla vodka is a great dish! I too had it a few times on our 14day cruise. I will however disagree that you cannot taste the vodka. After getting the recipe from head canaletto chef on the Eurodam and making it at home with cheap vodka and then making it again with grey goose (like they do onboard) the vodka does make a difference in the taste! The alcohol burns off but the flavour remains and really makes the dish!!! A must have if you ask me.

I agree with you that the penne alla vodka is a great dish! I too had it a few times on our 14day cruise. I will however disagree that you cannot taste the vodka. After getting the recipe from head canaletto chef on the Eurodam and making it at home with cheap vodka and then making it again with grey goose (like they do onboard) the vodka does make a difference in the taste! The alcohol burns off but the flavour remains and really makes the dish!!! A must have if you ask me.

You are quite correct. I drink only Grey Goose and used it to make the penne. What I meant to imply was that the dish did not have an "alcohol" taste. So many people assume because the dish is made with vodka, that it must "taste" of vodka (alcohol), and it doesn't. The quality of the vodka, or any alcohol used in preparing a dish or sauce, definitely influences the quality of the dish. I found that out many years ago when making a rum sauce for bread pudding using a cheaper rum - NOT good!!!. :(

I have made the Penne ala Vodka here at home several times, and have only used the Grey Goose. Yummy, isn't it? :D :D

I'm confused. Do you need reservations? Does it depend on the ship as to whether you need reservations?
The one night we dined there (on Noordam) there were several tables open the entire time, so you may be able to walk in and be seated if you catch it right. Better to make reservations to be sure.

And be sure to try the Canaletto wine. There is a red, white, and rose. It is on a wine list separate from the main wine list. My Noordam Wine Steward told me about these wines when he learned that we were going to be dining in Canaletto the next evening. He said that they were good wines. We drank the rose and found him to be correct.

Firefly posted this recipe a while ago.

CANALETTO- PENNE ALLA VODKA

SERVES 12

INGREDIENTS

3 lbs Penne

4 oz Extra virgin olive oil

2 tsp Garlic

1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes

1.8 lbs Marinara sauce

6 oz Vodka

1.8 lbs Heavy cream

2 oz Chopped parsley

12 oz Parmesan cheese

Salt/Pepper

PREPARATION

Cook pasta for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. In large skillet ,heat oil over moderate heat. Add garlic and red pepper and cook, stirring until garlic is golden brown. Add marinara sauce and salt; bring to simmer. Add vodka and cream and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and add pasta, toss for 1 minute. Stir in fresh parsley and parmesan cheese and serve.

Thank you for the recipe!!!

My son's girlfriend will be sailing with us on our next cruise - and she is a very picky eater. She's excited about Canaletto and I do see a lasagna on the menu so she will eat that. I'll have to try this recipe and see if she likes it. I already made her the HAL mac & cheese and she liked that.

Archived