2/9/10 - 11 Night Tuamotu & Society Islands Review

DrmnOfMaui

I love Disney World and have been going, on average, about once a year for thirty or so years. However if I ever get to the point where I would rather go to Disney World than to French Polynesia, I will know that something has gone very seriously wrong with me.

The Polynesian resort at Disney World, while nice, somehow does not seem quite as authentic after a visit to the real thing.:)

Phew, I mis-read Tom's post, I thought he was talking about Disney cruises! Disney World compared to French Polynesia?? You've got to be kidding me. (And I too like DW, although I haven't been there since my son was little.)

LOL. He's like an e-pet or sorts no?

And to go off topic... I'm grateful for the opportunities I have. I never feel entitled, so I feel horrible about secretly being anti Disney. I go to the parks, stay at the resorts and sail their ships thanks to very generous family members who shoud be considered residents of the fractional world of Disney Vacation Club. We have a niece and nephew who adore my DH and I because we're great babystitters for our many Disney trips, but I do find myself wishing they'd grow out of Disney soon! :D

While I was in FP last DH was at the DVD club at the Contemporary for a week over 4th of July. I win, hands down.

And although I think it's silly to sail Florida, the Bahamas or the Caribbean in the summertime because the weather is so unpredicatable, people pay to do it. So, I'll be given a cabin, I'll grin and bear it (it's not too bad), but I'll always know that FP is world's away more 'magical' for me.

• 1 month later...
Your review with pictures has helped me make up my mind. I want to book this trip on the PG. This is the best review I've seen on CC. Mahalo! ;)

Woo Hoo!! What date are you looking at and which itinerary?!! You will love it, whatever itinerary it is. I am green with envy!!

Thank you for the lovely comments, you completely made my day!! :)

When we originally booked this cruise, we looked at the opportunity as a once in a lifetime experience. After the fantastic 11 nights on this ship we are certain that the experience will definitely not be once in a lifetime, but hopefully a frequent occurrence. Our recently received PG brochure is already worn with pages turned down and our calendar is marked with tentative dates that we just might be able to make work.

The PG is most definitely a special place for us with its understated and peaceful elegance. Although it took a few days for us to fully relax and embrace the islands, we came away with a renewed appreciation for life and for each other. Things that seemed so important before the trip somehow were put into perspective. Ideas that we had thought were set for our future somehow evolved into new ideas. One thing that we took away and are trying to hold on to is a peacefulness that seems to permeate the islands. Holding on to this peacefulness in our busy life has not been easy, but we are continually trying to remind ourselves to take some time out of our full days to take a breath and live, to just enjoy a few special moments, whether it be our coffee in the morning, the pink clouds from the sunset or the brightness of the moon.

A dire case of the Polynesian Flu seems to be our diagnosis. As I've read that there really is no cure, it seems that a return trip to French Polynesia and the Paul Gauguin will have to be in our future!

I've been trying to get my mind around the Polynesia Flu. Why are so many folks infected? What's so special? Where's the magic?

I found my answer here in your wonderful reflection on your cruise. I just read it to my DH & almost had tears in my eyes! There are many great hints about the PG experience buried within this thread, but your final summary says it all. I'm looking forward to catching the bug. Thank you. :):)

I've been trying to get my mind around the Polynesia Flu. Why are so many folks infected? What's so special? Where's the magic?

I found my answer here in your wonderful reflection on your cruise. I just read it to my DH & almost had tears in my eyes! There are many great hints about the PG experience buried within this thread, but your final summary says it all. I'm looking forward to catching the bug. Thank you. :):)

Your are welcome! And thank you so much for you lovely comments. When I started writing that section, it just flowed out. The narrative is exactly how we felt and I'm so thankful that you hilighted it as I hadn't read it in quite some time. Reading it again brought the trip back to us right in the middle of our busy lives and served as a reminder for what is really important.

We have not had the opportunity to schedule another trip on the PG, but we go there often as it serves as our "Happy Place" when we need a quick mind escape, and I know that when the time is right we will return.

I can't wait to hear about your experience and good luck with that darn flu! I believe it is definitely a chronic condition... :D

DH and I visited the islands in the 1970s. We've always thought about returning. We've traveled the world, but never made it back. I'm looking at winter 2011, we'll be celebrating our 40th anniversary! :D

Congratulations!!! I'm excited for you trip and I know that you will have a wonderful time. I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures in the islands!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Someone wrote a comment on this post this morning that has since been removed, but the email response reminded me of our fabulous trip and gave me the opportunity to review this thread and remember our vacation. Sitting here on a gray, chilly day in San Diego (I know! I have nothing to complain about!! :)), I'm now dreaming of warm, turquoise waters, creme brulee and the soaring, majestic peaks of Bora Bora. It was nearly a year ago today that we brought home our two little 10 week old Maltese puppies... the same puppies who nearly drove me "over the edge" and had my husband so nicely surprise me with this trip to save our sanity! We reminisce about our PG days often and are still a bit "homesick" for the ship. Unfortunately, we have no booked plans to return as of yet, but I now we will return someday!

Wishing all those of you with upcoming trips a safe and wonderful vacation. I'll be eagerly awaiting your reviews as you return!

• 3 weeks later...

Aloha, Kim. Loved reading your trip report and thoroughly enjoyed your photos. The color of the water is unbelievable!

I'm writing on a slightly different tangent. Am I safe to assume from your CC name that you love Maui and perhaps travel there often (since it's such a quick trip from the West Coast)? The reason I ask is that we have been kicking around visiting FP for years but because we have gone to Maui at least once a year for the past 20+ years, we are afraid that FP will feel an awful lot like HI and that it won't have the same magical impact on us as perhaps it does for someone who hasn't experience the tropics in the Pacific as much as we have. Would love your input!

Barb

Zelker,

I made the mistake of visiting Maui and Hawaii after I visited FP 5 times. I was so disappointed with Hawaii. Some areas of Kauai and the north shore of Oahu reminded me a little bit of FP. FP is a magical place. Hawaii is merely beautiful.. IMO only.

The experience aboard the PG is also not to be missed because the Gaguinnes and the wonderful PG staff make it special.

Aloha, Kim. Loved reading your trip report and thoroughly enjoyed your photos. The color of the water is unbelievable!

I'm writing on a slightly different tangent. Am I safe to assume from your CC name that you love Maui and perhaps travel there often (since it's such a quick trip from the West Coast)? The reason I ask is that we have been kicking around visiting FP for years but because we have gone to Maui at least once a year for the past 20+ years, we are afraid that FP will feel an awful lot like HI and that it won't have the same magical impact on us as perhaps it does for someone who hasn't experience the tropics in the Pacific as much as we have. Would love your input!

Barb

Good Evening Barb!!

Yes, you assumed correctly! My family and I truly love Hawaii. I have been to Oahu, Maui and Kauai and I love them all, so much so that my husband and I were married at the Kea Lani in Wailea on Maui.

Even with our numerous trips to the Hawaiian islands, French Polynesia is indeed truly magical! The islands are more rustic and utterly gorgeous. While there are tourist areas, it is nothing like Hawaii.

Hawaii to me is somewhat of a fantasy. We always stay at hotels and as such our experience includes perfectly groomed grounds, lush tropical landscapes, and beautiful pools. We enjoy time at the beaches, in town and on the water snorkeling and surfing. At times, that is exactly the fantasy that I'm looking for, and I have to say that my trip to Waikiki two weeks ago was a wonderful weekend and I would return in a flash!

French Polynesia, on the other hand, is less of the fantasy, IMHO, though no less fantastic. The beaches are not as "groomed", but they are gorgeous, meeting up with waters that are like nothing I've ever seen. The soaring cliffs of Bora Bora are stunning along with the jagged peaks of Moorea. Raiatea was not scheduled on our cruise but was supplemented after a hurricane changed our course, and ended up being my favorite stop. The waters were beyond amazing, turquoises, greens, etc.

Combine these lush landscapes and beautiful warm waters with the Paul Gauguin and you have a dream! Ok... I know I'm gushing a bit, but for us it was an amazing trip. I enjoyed seeing the islands more by ship than actually staying at hotels - which I have done - and found that one day on each was plenty to explore, photograph and play. Oh... and shop too!

I'm not sure if I answered your question, but if you are asking if you will enjoy French Polynesia after Hawaii, I would wholeheartedly say yes! I still enjoy Hawaii and am always eager for time in the tropics.

PS... thanks also for your lovely comment on my blog!! I hope you enjoy the Nutella brownies, they didn't last long in our house. I've made them twice, I would only advise not to overcook... they dry out a bit if you cook too long (I found that out first hand!!)

Kim

Thanks for your feedback, Kim. Will definitely keep it in mind as we consider what we're going to do next year to celebrate my 60th :eek: birthday and our 20th anniversary. Seeing the "real" South Pacific has been on my bucket list for a loooong time but we are also looking at doing a couple of islands in Fiji, sailing the Galapagos Islands or going on safari in Tanzania/South Africa/Botswana. So many places to consider - and extremley thankful that we can even think about doing any of them. :) Right now though we are focused on our upcoming 3 week trip to Maui in February/March to spend quality time with our buddies, the humpbacks (above and below the water)! Whoo-hoo!! :D

Barb

PS - we were married on Maui as well, at the point on Kapalua Point at sunset.

PPS - will remember not to overcook the brownies. wonder if I need to change the recipe at all for high altitude baking though. guess I'll see how the first batch comes out and go from there.

• 5 weeks later...

Ahhhh... I'm homesick for my Paul Gauguin! A year ago today we booked this trip and somehow got it all together to head for the ship 5 days later. Super Bowl just won't be the same this year as I don't have my islands to look forward to....

Feeling the fever....!!!:)

Ahhhh... I'm homesick for my Paul Gauguin! A year ago today we booked this trip and somehow got it all together to head for the ship 5 days later. Super Bowl just won't be the same this year as I don't have my islands to look forward to....
As they say, what a difference a year makes! Very impressive that you were able to plan & book your PG trip with all of 5 days notice. Kinda puts those of us who are OCD planners to shame.

Anyway, after reading your PG review (again!) I popped over to your food blog. Alas, I didn't get past Nutella Brownies. Yes I know the craze has been out there for a while, but I've resisted giving in, till now. I'm now stockpiling the stuff. Nutella Rice Krispies up next! Thanks for spreading the word about these terrific tasty treats. :):)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and your photos. I thoroughly enjoyed your review and greatly appreciate the time it takes to put up such a detailed review. I hoping (fingers crossed) to get there in 2013 :D

• 4 weeks later...

I missed the last couple of posts!! So sorry to not respond!

I can't tell you how happy I am that you enjoyed our post... my husband just told me that he visits the post often and truly enjoys looking back at our photos and reading about our adventure. My daughter is still a bit green with envy and is begging for us to take her to the ship, so we've recently put the PG on the table for possible destination next summer, 2012!! This time we'll have two kids with us, so I'm not anticipating quite the same experience, but I'm eager to show them around the islands that my husband and I fell in love with. The fever is still burning!

As they say, what a difference a year makes! Very impressive that you were able to plan & book your PG trip with all of 5 days notice. Kinda puts those of us who are OCD planners to shame.

Anyway, after reading your PG review (again!) I popped over to your food blog. Alas, I didn't get past Nutella Brownies. Yes I know the craze has been out there for a while, but I've resisted giving in, till now. I'm now stockpiling the stuff. Nutella Rice Krispies up next! Thanks for spreading the word about these terrific tasty treats. :):)

MQ... we just recently posted a Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treat.... even better than the Nutella!!! :)

• 3 months later...

Archived