Earthquake near Santiago Chile -- Princess Sailings and Passengers

mmyorkston

Of the 2,600 passengers or so only 472 remain which means that over 2,000 got off the ship yesterday when it docked. It will redock in the morning to embark the few that made it and perhaps disembark any that changed their minds.

So, do the 472 passengers stay in their original cabins or do they move into other cabins? I would think that there would be a chance that someone who is staying would be in someone's cabin for the upcoming cruise. How is this working out?

Early this morning (March 3 - a day after the scheduled sailing) we finally got an email from Princess stating that they would sail at noon on March 4 with the altered itinerary. Too little, too late. We already know it would be days after March 4 before we could get a flight into Santiago and they would be long gone. Still hoping for some nice offer from Princess for a future cruise.

Nancy et al

Stupid question. No attacks, please. Just honest answers.

Is it true that Star Princess is charging pre/post cruise or other people people $50 - $75 per night to stay in a cabin that is already paid for? Saw this somewhere. Please - no flames or rude replies. Thanks!

Hope that all in Chile and on the SP are safe and cared for. It's really an awful situation! My sympathies.

Is it true that Star Princess is charging pre/post cruise or other people people $50 - $75 per night to stay in a cabin that is already paid for? Saw this somewhere. Please - no flames or rude replies. Thanks!

Hope that all in Chile and on the SP are safe and cared for. It's really an awful situation! My sympathies.

Yes they are. It's already paid for by the people that can't get there, not the people that are waiting to come home.

Paid for or not its a good gesture.

I think though that the point was they were already paid for by someone else - someone who is not getting a refund. Therefore, Princess could be said to be 'double dipping' by charging for the same cabin for a second time.

It is my understanding that the people on the ship that were to disembark but had no where to go because of the airport being closed were given the option to switch cabins and stay on the ship either until tomorrow or until a stop on the voyage back to Argentina or possibly Brazil. Most likely the few people that embarked yesterday or embark tomorrow morning will receive the cabin they booked with some generous on board credits for the missed stops. Somehow I'm thinking they'll see and enjoy the teeter totter ride past the tip of South America but probably won't have time to cruise around the Chile light house island at the tip.

I have been especially interested in the discussion here about Princess Air. It's always been my thought and experience that once you bought Princess Air, and I often do because sometimes it's cheaper and covered by Princess insurance, that any further air discussions are generally between you and the airline. That said, it is my belief that Princess Elite status and a friendly voice sometimes will result in Princess Air making things right but not always since they really only want to talk with the T.A., not you, even when the T.A. or they have botched your deviation request.

This entire fiasco, caused by Mother Nature, not Princess, makes me all the happier that I always have the upgraded "cancel for any reason" Princess insurance. I expect that by the end of the day Princess will see the light and give cash refunds to all that couldn't get to the ship. That's the right thing to do and I still have faith that Princess will do this once the ship sails.

I think though that the point was they were already paid for by someone else - someone who is not getting a refund. Therefore, Princess could be said to be 'double dipping' by charging for the same cabin for a second time.

Yes, that's what I was talking about. I won't get into whether or not this is fair. Just wanted to know. Thanks to ALL who replied, and there were no negative comments! I truly appreciate it! Best of luck to all of the SP cruisers and to all Chilean residents! It really is a terrible situation. Thanks to all who replied to my post.

Best of luck to all of the SP cruisers and to all Chilean residents! It really is a terrible situation.
I agree. FYI, the Star Princess official abbreviation on the Princess website is "TP", not "SP"; that's the abbreviation for the Sun Princess. I know pretty much everyone knows you're referring to the Star but just in case...

Oh brother, :rolleyes: how do you know they are not getting a refund?

Oh brother, :rolleyes: how do you know they are not getting a refund?

They told me that we are not getting a refund. They said it very matter-of-factly and without apologizing (literally, they did not apologize).

"The US Geological Survey reported said the quake, shallow at a depth of 34km, was centred in the ocean, just 39km west of Valparaiso, and struck at 10.59pm on Wednesday (2.59pm Thursday NZT)."

I hope the people Princess coerced into ignoring travel alerts and taking non-existant flights or being classed voluntary no shows are all okay.

If not, there will be hell to pay.

The company's flagrant disregard for their passengers has been disgraceful. Given the situation the cruise should have been cancelled, not postponed one day after another.

Pretty sick corporate culture there.

"The US Geological Survey reported said the quake, shallow at a depth of 34km, was centred in the ocean, just 39km west of Valparaiso, and struck at 10.59pm on Wednesday (2.59pm Thursday NZT)."

I hope the people Princess coerced into ignoring travel alerts and taking non-existant flights or being classed voluntary no shows are all okay.

The company's flagrant disregard for their passengers has been disgraceful. Given the situation the cruise should have been cancelled, not postponed one day after another.

My mom was supposed to get off the ship today and stay in a hotel in Santiago until a flight could be arranged. She called me from the ship and told me the CAptain told her it was better to stay on which she will do. She is staying in the same cabin and will stay on to BA or Rio. They are making the best of the situation. This willl be a long cruise for her!

I'm amazed that Cruise Critic hasn't closed this thread long ago since it is biting the hand that feeds them..

Too bad but people need to know all that is happening to these cruisers and new problems are rising everyday. eg the 6. earthquake aftershock that hit Valpariso last night while the ship was moored. Cruise critic would be really flamed if the closed this thread.

Anyone on board able to post any updates?

Ontario Cruiser

How about the folks that were there already?(in Valparaiso B4 quake)

My mom was supposed to get off the ship today and stay in a hotel in Santiago until a flight could be arranged. She called me from the ship and told me the CAptain told her it was better to stay on which she will do. She is staying in the same cabin and will stay on to BA or Rio. They are making the best of the situation. This willl be a long cruise for her!

My, my, the passengers who were booked for March 2, are told everything is fine, and against tourist warnings they should get limited flights to Santiago or be classed voluntary no shows on March 2, then 3rd, then 4rth.

6.1 aftershock occurs near Valparaiso, no surprise!

The lady on the ship has been advised not to debark!

Wow, this just gets crazier and crazier! Who's the nutter calling the shots at Princess Lines?

I'm amazed that Cruise Critic hasn't closed this thread long ago since it is biting the hand that feeds them..

Have to say that I'm glad to see that this thread hasn't been closed. I always say you can tell how good a company are by how they handle a crisis - which this surely is.

Although the earthquake and ensuing problems are devastating. Because this crisis could happen anytime to any ship in the world its intriguing to see how Princess will sort this out to the satisfaction of all cruisers, on and off board.

So I for one will continue to follow this thread to its conclusion.

Hopefully there will be a good solution forthcoming all round to the problem that has occured and Princess will make sure they're better prepared in the future.

Babs

I

Believe me they will have compensation.

Keith, how do you know this? And, if so, why would Princess choose to put people through all this (meaning their non-communication; some of their mis-communication can be overlooked given the circumstances) if, in the end, they plan to recompense passengers anyways? It just does not make sense.

I think that many of those people who have flown part way to Santiago and then been stuck, returned home and then been told they will be no shows would have preferred to avoid the situation they have found themselves in the past 5 days. Yesterday I thought Princess could make good by simply reimbursing passengers who couldn't get to the cruise - and that would have worked, had they done it Saturday, Sunday or Monday, and possibly on Tuesday or Wednesday morning, but at this point it is too late. We've had too many real life examples of Princess not following through on the simplest of promises...to return calls, to rebook flights, etc. to pretend they never happened.

I also wonder what independent insurance companies are now thinking about insuring Princess cruisers when the company so clearly is passing the buck on this one.

And, this whole thing has had me thinking about last 11 months ago during the H1N1 outbreak (which seems almost quaint now, doesn't it, in view of the devastation in Chile), and I looked up this thread. Then, Princess was offering a 50% credit towards a future cruise (within a year, I think), but, unlike RC and Celebrity, did not offer passengers the option of being reiumbursed if they chose not to take their "California Riviera" cruise. So far, Princess hasn't been even that generous with the 3/2 Star cruisers.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=974132

I think that companies are much like people in that you can tell the most about their values and priorities during the worst of times, not the best, and Princess made theirs clear last year and crystal this year.

JMHO of course. I'm just very disappointed in one of my favorite cruise lines this week.

Not only are we, as a cruise critic family, concerned about our friends and families stuck in this mess in Chile, we as Princess cruisers, need to be informed about how the cruise line deals with this nearly impossible situation. It is a nightmare caused by nature and complicated by policy. Watching this unfold is a lesson in corporate liability, personal responsibility, and the need to buy insurance.

Thanks to all who continue to post.

This is not really a new thing with Princess. We have only used Princess air two or three times in over 40 cruises with them. On one of our first trips with them we had purchased Princess air paying extra for deviations, insurance etc. The airline they had us flying on had been talking about a strike for weeks and there was a strike a few days before we were to

depart but Princess kept telling us to sit tight that they would take care of us. Well the day before we were to leave the airline was still on strike. Princess told us (through our TA) to go to our local airport and see what WE could do to get our tickets endorsed over to another airline. We were finally able to do that but it was an awful experience. While on the ship we were a nervous wreck the entire time because we could get no information at all on what we were supposed to do to get back home once we arrived back in port. Well, how Princess handled it for us was that we were dropped off at the airport with many others and again told to handle it ourselves at the ticket counter! This was compounded by the fact that while we were on the cruise yet another airline serving the same destination had gone on strike. What a mess! We finally got home. We found that since we were using a Travel Agent Princess would absolutely NOT talk with us about anything particularly regarding the air arrangements and our TA couldn't get anything out of them either. It was quite a while before we took another Princess cruise.

Archived