Is it really horrible to plan......

bulgargirl

On gaining about a pound to a pound and a half a day (yes - a DAY, I'm a little piggie) while on my cruise?

I know I should eat just little bits and exercise and practice moderation and blah, blah, blah.... but the more I look at menus and drinks and threads about favorite dishes the more I think that's not gonna happen.

12 pounds on an 8 day cruise is my record. And I'm still not really sure how I did it.

I think it is the salt air that makes you retain water.....At least that is my story and I am sticking to it (not the pastries, martinis, excellent food)...You can always go to the spa and have the fat sucked out, as I do on each cruise. I think it is called Ionithermie?? They set electrodes up on the area of your body you want treated (my midsection) and the electric pulses stimulate the lose of water. Many people laugh, but I can honestly, without the treatment, my clothes are very snug towards the end of the cruise!

Just be sure to wear your ROBE to the spa....

One: You'll crap out half the weight in a couple days once you get back and start eating normal amounts again.

Two: If I park my a$$ on a bike for a while every morning - I'm calling it good and eating what I want. Like you said, we're on vacation.

Three: Even though it took me 6 months to drop 50 lbs to get ready for my cruise, I know I won't go back there again. A cruise isn't a lifestyle change - it's a blip on the radar and life will go on afterwards.

Four - What are you doing even looking for a scale while you're on the ship?!?

Lol. I didn't look at my scale ON the ship. I did when I got back and nothing fit. I was like holy heck!

I think you have the answer. Lose the weight before the cruise. That's what I'll (try) to do!

I really do surprise myself with all I manage to eat on them though.

And thanks for the suggestion abotu the spa treatment. I've never tried those before.

On gaining about a pound to a pound and a half a day (yes - a DAY, I'm a little piggie) while on my cruise?

I know I should eat just little bits and exercise and practice moderation and blah, blah, blah.... but the more I look at menus and drinks and threads about favorite dishes the more I think that's not gonna happen.

12 pounds on an 8 day cruise is my record. And I'm still not really sure how I did it.

Well ..3500 cals per pound x 12 divided by 8 equals 5200 cals more than

usual.... that's what you did ..how you did it I am not sure either :D

I find that I walk a lot in the ports, do some swimming onshore and on the ship, and I usually stay the same weight or gain only a small amount. My brother likes to lose 8-10 pounds ahead of a cruise, so that he can eat what he likes on board.

It's the salt, and also alcohol makes me retain water. One drink, and I can watch my ankles swell!! *OMG*

Try taking the stairs as often as you can/are able to. That helps, as well. So does doing the walking tours in port.

When we were on our first cruise, on Princess, our waiter gave us some good advice. He said, "Pace yourself. Try a little of the soup, then a little of the salad, then some of the entre, and then just have a bit of the dessert. You really don't need to eat it all. Ignore the bread. Pfffft! It isn't there. See how easy?" This, of course, was all with a lovely Portugese accent. *grin*

They do serve real butter don't they?? I can see it now. All those people dragging on cases of wine and I'll be the one with a case of real butter.

It's butter. You can drag the wine.

I've seen margarine packets alongside the butter packets in the Lido, but not served in the dining room. I'm sure if one asked for margarine in the dining room it would be provided.

I usually gain 10 lbs on a 7 day and 16 lbs on 10-14 day cruise.:eek: All those drinks and midnight buffets really add up.:mad: My tux NEVER fits me by the second formal night, so I always pack a sports coat. It usually take me two months of dieting to lose it!

GeneK- I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just can't seem to help myself when they give me so many choices. And a little of this and a little of that sure is a LOT when there's like 100 different things to have just a little of! :eek:

My husband and I were dieting (doing Jenny Craig) for our wedding, and then obviously ate "normally" on our honeymoon cruise... 22 days on the Veendam, South America/Antarctica. When we got home, I had gained 5 pounds - not bad if you ask me... Hubby goes to weigh in, and comes home with a smirk... I'm thinking, "Oh no! How much did HE gain?!?"

HE LOST 1/2 A POUND!!! How's that fair or even possible? HE'S the one who went to the Lido Midnight Buffet almost every night! HE'S the one who got 2 (or more) desserts each night! HE'S the one who drank iced tea all month while I drank water... Come on now!! Men's metabolism stink!

GeneK- I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just can't seem to help myself when they give me so many choices. And a little of this and a little of that sure is a LOT when there's like 100 different things to have just a little of! :eek:

So many choices, hard to resist. I take the stairs everywhere on the ship. I also try to walk promenard deck several times on seas days. On the shoredays sight seeing I get lots of exercise. Try taking a pedometre with you and make sure to do 10,000 steps a day. Clothes are still a bit snug at the end but at least they still fit.

One: You'll crap out half the weight in a couple days once you get back and start eating normal amounts again.

Two: If I park my a$$ on a bike for a while every morning - I'm calling it good and eating what I want. Like you said, we're on vacation.

Three: Even though it took me 6 months to drop 50 lbs to get ready for my cruise, I know I won't go back there again. A cruise isn't a lifestyle change - it's a blip on the radar and life will go on afterwards.

Four - What are you doing even looking for a scale while you're on the ship?!?

a little graphic, made me laugh. "crap out half the weight". Um, what do you mean or is that like what you said?:eek::eek:

Do you Really want to do that? :confused: Be sure to bring 'big pants' to fly home in. You'll need something that will fit the larger you. :D

It's a funny thing. When I first started cruising (about 15 cruises ago), I too would gain about a pound or a pound and a half per day, as I was overwhelmed by the fantastic array of food available day and night. But as I started getting more and more used to it, I found myself enjoying the food, but since it was no longer such a novelty, had scaled back quite a bit.

I follow the suggestion earlier of always using the stairs. The benefits are it is excellent exercise, and you never have to be dismayed when there are long waits, such as exiting the showroom, etc. And I find that by the end of the cruise, I can climb stairs much easier than at the beginning, even if I had gained a couple of pounds.:)

My husband and I were dieting (doing Jenny Craig) for our wedding, and then obviously ate "normally" on our honeymoon cruise... 22 days on the Veendam, South America/Antarctica. When we got home, I had gained 5 pounds - not bad if you ask me... Hubby goes to weigh in, and comes home with a smirk... I'm thinking, "Oh no! How much did HE gain?!?"

HE LOST 1/2 A POUND!!! How's that fair or even possible? HE'S the one who went to the Lido Midnight Buffet almost every night! HE'S the one who got 2 (or more) desserts each night! HE'S the one who drank iced tea all month while I drank water... Come on now!! Men's metabolism stink!

I am SO looking forward to meeting you in two and a half weeks! (But mum's the word until you're on board.)

Yes, you have the temporary salt issue, but it is when you come home and find out that there is some weight gain which you can't get off. We are young and healty, walk everywhere all day in every port, take the stairs onboard and dance a lot in the evenings. We don't eat burgers, junk food, cakes, etc on board. We still gain a kilo for every 3 days on a cruise: on our 7 day cruise we gained over 2 kilos, on both our 10 day cruises we gained over 3 kgs (=6.6 lbs). We have now been back 3 months from the last one and we still can't get the 3 kgs off. DH had to go and buy new trousers....

My best report...

14-day cruise (Alaska -- so lots of port days), and I only gained one pound. We walked a tremendous amount and used the stairs. We thought about going to the gym, but never did. We walked the lower promenade deck.

We had cheapo (untrustworthy?) pedometers which estimated our total mileage at 110 or so. Realistically, we probably did walk 80 miles during that 2 weeks. We also walked at a quick pace much of the time. I, on the other hand, did not slow any of my calorie intake... ice cream and bread pudding most days, bacon and French Toast almost every morning, dessert every night.

I actually enjoy trotting up and down the stairs. It is a great workout, lots of art to look at, no waiting and the exercise allows to me to eat that much more. Stairs are a win-win situation.

The saddest thing I ever saw on cruise ship was when an overweight woman fell over in the hallway and couldn't get up for at least five minutes (she didn't want my help). If that doesn't motivate one to adopt a more healthy lifestyle, then all hope is lost.

igraf

I follow the suggestion earlier of always using the stairs. The benefits are it is excellent exercise, and you never have to be dismayed when there are long waits, such as exiting the showroom, etc. And I find that by the end of the cruise, I can climb stairs much easier than at the beginning, even if I had gained a couple of pounds.:)

Archived