Capt. Demetrios Kafetzis-best entertainment onboard Solstice

jakedoc

Sailed on Solstice 7 Feb-14 Feb 2010 and really enjoyed the Master of Solstice- what a hoot he was. We never saw a Captain all around the ship during the week like we saw him. He was everywhere. When we were boarding back on ship in St. Kitts he was sitting on a folding chair behind the table where they hand out the chilled towels. He was just sitting back and watching all the people walk back on board. I didn't even notice him-my wife pointed him out to me. He was very unassuming. Also saw him in the buffet at lunch just eating along with all the passengers. Saw him numerous times in the public areas. His updates at noon were always funny. The introduction of the Staff on the second night was hilarious. He had the audience rolling. He seemed very proud of being Greek. He just seemed like regular guy.

We were with him on the Infinity in Jan 09 and then on Solstice Nov/Dec 09. We are so glad Celebrity decided to move him over to Solstice just for us. I guess he will head to Millie before Sept 10 so he can join us!

He is just great.

Denny

Gosh, I sure wish and hope he will be on the Solstice for the October 17, 2010 sailing. He sounds awesome and it would be so neat to have him as our Captain too. We will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary right along with Celebrity's 20th Anniversary. We spent our honeymoon aboard RCCL's Song of America. I bet there are a few of you out there that sailed her too. My first cruise on RCCL was aboard the Nordic Prince a few years earlier. Anyone remember that ship?

JoAnne

We were on the same cruise (Feb 7 to 14). We had our grown children with us and we all would wait each day for the midday update! The introduction of the crew in the theater was better than the show! Love the ship and the captain. The only problem was the thallasotherapy pool was cold. We mentioned this to one of the officers and notice that toward the end of the cruise they drained the pool. The day before we disembarked it was full again and seemed to be much warmer.

My only other complaint is that it seemed on the Millenium ships the buffet area was much easier to get to with the extra bank of elevators. On the Solstice, I always seemed to be across the deck from it!!

The food, however was OUTSTANDING...perfectly prepared, including rare really coming out rare!

Gosh, I sure wish and hope he will be on the Solstice for the October 17, 2010 sailing. He sounds awesome and it would be so neat to have him as our Captain too. We will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary right along with Celebrity's 20th Anniversary. We spent our honeymoon aboard RCCL's Song of America. I bet there are a few of you out there that sailed her too. My first cruise on RCCL was aboard the Nordic Prince a few years earlier. Anyone remember that ship?

JoAnne

If that's not worth an invitation to dine at the captain's Table, I don't know what is!! Congrats.

The only problem was the thallasotherapy pool was cold. We mentioned this to one of the officers and notice that toward the end of the cruise they drained the pool.

On S-Class ships, The Solarium Pool does not have Thalassotherapy features as you will find on the M-Class ships and Mercury... During our sailing, the Solarium Pool was drained because of rough seas... Early Friday morning, the waves in the Solarium Pool were akin to those found in a Wave Rider [only they were multi-directional] and there was as much water on each end of the Solarium floor as there was in the pool; its use--and, for that matter, just walking through the area--would have been hazardous...

I, too, thoroughly enjoyed sailing with Captain Kafetzis... He has a wickedly keen sense of humor, an engaging personality, a seemingly terrific rapport with and respect from the ship's staff, and is just a really nice/no pretense guy... Hope to have the opportunity to sail with him again in the future...

Edited by Xport

I wish you a Happy 20th Anniversary, Born to Cruise. We too had our honeymoon onboard ship- NCL Skward 1980. Hope you have many more cruises!

Does Celebrity do anything special for those with Birthdays, honeymoons, etc. If so do you notify them or do they just take it from your my reservation page?

We agree wholeheartedly with your view of the Captain, he was hilarious on our recent Solstice cruise. I wondered whether or not his humour would be appreciated by both Europeans and Americans but obviously he appeals to a wide audience. Who is the master on the Equinox? He will have a lot to live up to. Happy cruising!

Totally agree with you all about Capt. Kafetzis, he's my favourite !!!!!!!! Anyone know how much longer he'll be on Solstice? He might be due for vacation soon. Wonder if he'll go back on Solstice after vacation?

Does Celebrity do anything special for those with Birthdays, honeymoons, etc. If so do you notify them or do they just take it from your my reservation page?

We were presented with a little cake and the waiters tried to sing "Happy Anniversary". Must have received information from Reservation since we didn't mention it to anyone.

There is an extra cost for anything beyond that.

We were presented with a little cake and the waiters tried to sing "Happy Anniversary". Must have received information from Reservation since we didn't mention it to anyone.

There is an extra cost for anything beyond that.

Better than R/C. They wanted $14.95 for a little cake... We have always found that Celebrity is more than happy to do something small to celebrate a birthday/anniversary/etc.

-Dan

Anyone know how much longer he'll be on Solstice? He might be due for vacation soon. Wonder if he'll go back on Solstice after vacation?

Start counting in three month intervals

Jan Feb Mar

Apr May Jun Holidays?

Jul Aug Sep

Oct Nov Dec Holidays?

Silhouette launch..... ???

give or take a couple of weeks either way..

The "Joker" will bring out "Silly" alternating with Captain Pagonis (Scuttlebutt) sailing part of the year from Bayonne (Scuttlebutt)

The Captain was wonderful..OUT!!!

You made me laugh. We waited everyday to hear his noon time update. I found if people were chatting at that time every one would shoosh them. He was great entertainment.

jakedoc:

Thanks for starting this thread:)

I'm back on the Solstice in 2 weeks. You have reminded me of something I had forgotten...can't wait for the noon updates!

He's the best. We were on the Infinity January 2009, which was his last on that ship before going to Solstice. He was everywhere on that ship. We stood in line with him at Valparaiso, through customs and immigration. He was on his way back home and then to the Solstice.

We loved his noon time announcements. "Out".

Start counting in three month intervals

Jan Feb Mar

Apr May Jun Holidays?

Jul Aug Sep

Oct Nov Dec Holidays?

Silhouette launch..... ???

give or take a couple of weeks either way..

The "Joker" will bring out "Silly" alternating with Captain Pagonis (Scuttlebutt) sailing part of the year from Bayonne (Scuttlebutt)

Capt Kafetzis joined the Solstice when she was in Mykonos on Nov 11, 2009.

Capt Kafetzis joined the Solstice when she was in Mykonos on Nov 11, 2009.

That puts the calendar roughly (+/_ 2 weeks):

Nov 11 - Feb 14 Solstice (onboard till 14th based on OP)

Feb 14 - May 14 Vacation

May 14 - Aug 14 Solstice

Aug 14 - Nov 14 Vacation

Nov ..... supervision of Silhouette to launch ????

Does anyone know if he is still on board or has he already left for his vacation?

Edited by Xellent

That puts the calendar roughly (+/_ 2 weeks):

Nov 11 - Feb 14 Solstice (onboard till 14th based on OP)

Feb 14 - May 14 Vacation

May 14 - Aug 14 Solstice

Aug 14 - Nov 14 Vacation

Nov ..... supervision of Silhouette to launch ????

Does anyone know if he is still on board or has he already left for his vacation?

He was onboard Solstice 2/21-2/28.

He seemed very proud of being Greek.

I totally agreed with your view on Captain Kafetzis. I even think he should have his own comedy show.:)

But I raised my eyebrows, while reading your comment I quoted above. Of course he's proud to be a Greek.... isn't that obvious like you are proud to be an American ? Maybe Greeks are even the proudest people in Europe, which is logical, given their rich history and called the cradle of Western Civilisation.

But maybe I just misinterpreted you words.

This reminds me of a situation during a Q&A session with another Greek Captain on a Celebrity cruise. One woman asked the Captain, while she was really wondering : "Captain, tell me, are you proud to be Greek ?". The Captain answered, a bit confused and upset : "Yes, of course !". Afterwards he didn't say a word to the woman again. Just to illustrate that Greeks are very proud people.;)

That puts the Master's calendar roughly (+/- 2 weeks):

Nov 11 - Feb 28 Solstice (onboard till 28th based on Dave93)

March - May: Vacation

June - August: Solstice

September - November: Vacation

Dec ..... supervision of Silhouette to launch ????

(Cruise Critic suggested the launch in Fall of 2011. So far it has taken about 9 months for each delivery.)

Perhaps those passengers sailing will keep us updated as time passes.

Cote d'or I totally agreed with your view on Captain Kafetzis. I even think he should have his own comedy show.

It's a sad comment on the quality of Celebrity entertainment when the master is funnier than the paid entertainers.

Edited by Xellent