??Curious about Epic's future??

pokeypoke

I’m curious as to what you all think. We all know that the Epic has a fantastic entertainment line up – Blue Man Group, Cirque Dreams Dinner Show, Legends in Concert, Howl at the Moon, second City, partnership with Nickelodeon, and the smaller bands, singers and D.J.’s that will play in the bars and clubs throughout the ship. NCL also has some of the best prices in value for money.

Remember when freestyle 2.0 came along and NCL added a few special thing to the fleet system such as welcome aboard glass of Champaign (not really Champaign seeing how it is not from Champaign, France)? Slowly, thing began fading away because of budget cuts.

Do you think perhaps we may see many things on the Epic fading away after a couple of years, such as, the great entertainment line-up? Seriously, these productions/performers don’t exactly come cheap. Google “tickets” for each of these shows and you will see the prices. Cirque Dream prices alone range from $60 - $400, depending on city, date a seating.

I’m hoping the Epic is a big success and can keep providing top notch entertainment but in reality, the cost of running a cruise ship, let alone a brand new LARGE or MEGA cruise ship, is not cheap and just about every sailing needs to be booked in order to break even. Keep in mind, this ship isn’t exactly paid off either. Do you think NCL will have to raise their base fares to keep up or do you think we will slowly see the entertainment go down a bit? Any thoughts?

I'm sure NCL took into consideration how much they are paying for these big name entertainment when they came up with the price of the fare and entrance fees (if applicable), so I don't see that changing too much for them to make a profit on the Epic.

What I think might happen is that the fare will go up not to just break even, but because how popular the ship is. If bookings remain this strong in the future it will only be logical for NCL to increase pricing to reflect the demand.

also I highly doubt the groups will put their best people on the cruises. it's probably like a training or break-in session before you move to the real shows on land. so they probably don't get paid as much.

Edited by DrD

I have seen 3 real cirq shows, and they are expensive. Though I have not seen the onboard production, I can not imagine it is anything like the big shore based productions, hence a lower cost.

Will they change out productions over time. Probably as people will tire of certain things and stuff needs to change.

also I highly doubt the groups will put their best people on the cruises. it's probably like a training or break-in session before you move to the real shows on land. so they probably don't get paid as much.

I doubt the quality of the "blue men" on the ship will be all that different than their land based counterpart, I'm sure the company behind BMG would want their product be consistent throughout and protect their brand. NCL also likely wouldn't be all that pleased if they got a second rate BMG production, they paid a lot for the big name entertainment, I'm sure they expect the same quality and type of shows these big name venues are known for.

The actual show will be modified for the Epic though.

Edited by ddakrt

It will be unrealistic to think that the same entertainment will be available years to come. I am sure once the Blue Man Group contract runs out they might think of changing it for something else, the same with the cirque and the comedy show.

Reasons to change it will be to keep the entertainment options fresh and, I am sure, cost will also be taken into consideration.

I have to side with ddakrt on this one. I would hate to think the Cirque Dreams perormers are "in training". Remember, they are putting on a dinner show at sea - lord forbid a performer looses his/her balance because of ship movement and drops a plate of food or drink on a cruise guest:eek:! And for those of you who who might chuckle at seeing this happen...,:D!

As long as we keep booking cruises on the Epic and the ship sails full at what ever the future pricing is the entertainment will remain first class. Lots of "ifs"

Like I said before, I hope the Epic is a success and what you are saying is true in logic. I have heard and seen many companies start off with "high quality" product or services but after a while, prices go up and/or the quality declines or cuts are made. I hope Epic doesn't follow this trend or prices start dramatically shoot sky high. There are those who have no desire to sail the Epic because of ridiculous aspects...the ship is ugly, the bathroom set-up, Nickelodeon and too many kids, too many people:rolleyes:. I hope after the novelty of the Epic wears down that the ship can retain full booking and keep the quality

You are overlooking the fact that if they were to allow an inferior product to be presented on the EPIC, they would have even more difficulty convincing people to pay the high prices that they charge for their land-based shows. Bad word of mouth about the quality of the show onboard would inevitably result in lowered demand for all of their venues. I doubt that, even for the land-based shows, the individuals who appear on stage in Blue Man group get a large part of the revenue generated by those high ticket prices. The persons wearing that blue makeup are pretty much anonymous performers who can be replaced relatively easily if they are unhappy with their pay.

I am sure that both the cruiseline and the Blue Man Group company carefully considered the advantages and disadvantages associated with the length of their contract and the costs involved before reaching an agreement. With all of the many entertainment offerings that will be available on EPIC, even returning passengers will find new alternatives to fill their evenings if they tire of any particular event or group of performers.

The cruise industry was almost recession proof. Royal Carribean and Carnival had record profits during this recession. NCL struggled but they are making a profit. The Epic brings lots of excitment and the ship is almost booked 12 months in advance now. So they will make a ton of money on this ship.

I know my cruise is not until December but I will paying the whole year for it :)

I’m curious as to what you all think. We all know that the Epic has a fantastic entertainment line up – Blue Man Group, Cirque Dreams Dinner Show, Legends in Concert, Howl at the Moon, second City, partnership with Nickelodeon, and the smaller bands, singers and D.J.’s that will play in the bars and clubs throughout the ship. NCL also has some of the best prices in value for money.

Remember when freestyle 2.0 came along and NCL added a few special thing to the fleet system such as welcome aboard glass of Champaign (not really Champaign seeing how it is not from Champaign, France)? Slowly, thing began fading away because of budget cuts.

Do you think perhaps we may see many things on the Epic fading away after a couple of years, such as, the great entertainment line-up? Seriously, these productions/performers don’t exactly come cheap. Google “tickets” for each of these shows and you will see the prices. Cirque Dream prices alone range from $60 - $400, depending on city, date a seating.

I’m hoping the Epic is a big success and can keep providing top notch entertainment but in reality, the cost of running a cruise ship, let alone a brand new LARGE or MEGA cruise ship, is not cheap and just about every sailing needs to be booked in order to break even. Keep in mind, this ship isn’t exactly paid off either. Do you think NCL will have to raise their base fares to keep up or do you think we will slowly see the entertainment go down a bit? Any thoughts?

One of the reasons why those shows cost so much is the venue. On EPIC the venue cost is removed.

The cruise industry was almost recession proof. Royal Carribean and Carnival had record profits during this recession. NCL struggled but they are making a profit. The Epic brings lots of excitment and the ship is almost booked 12 months in advance now. So they will make a ton of money on this ship.

I know my cruise is not until December but I will paying the whole year for it :)

What Epic cruises are almost booked 12 months in advance? If you look at the 14 day western and eastern cruises, it shows lots of availability.

I have seen 3 real cirq shows, and they are expensive. Though I have not seen the onboard production, I can not imagine it is anything like the big shore based productions, hence a lower cost.

Will they change out productions over time. Probably as people will tire of certain things and stuff needs to change.

The cirque show is not a Cirque de Soliel production. It's supposed to be LIKE Cirque de Soliel I think but it is NOT a Cirque de Soliel production so that should help with some costs.

What Epic cruises are almost booked 12 months in advance? If you look at the 14 day western and eastern cruises, it shows lots of availability.

I can only tell you what the NCL people told me when I booked. I was trying to get the room I wanted in November but could not find a room that I wanted. The NCL person was surprised how booked the ship was. When I asked how booked they were they were booked around 84%.

I really think it funny that we are talking about the distant future of the Epic and it has not even had a begining yet. :D:rolleyes:

Agreed. The ship has just barely completed its first sea trials and we have people speculating about the ship's eventual decline. :rolleyes:

Do you think perhaps we may see many things on the Epic fading away after a couple of years, such as, the great entertainment line-up?

They can always revive the good ole community sing. Kumbaya; Michael row the boat ashore; Roll me over in the clover. Oooo, just gives me goosebumps anticipating -- make that insipidating.

InThe

The ship has just barely completed its first sea trials and we have people speculating about the ship's eventual decline. :rolleyes:

On the subject of declining years:

'The first ten million years were the worst,'said Marvin, 'and the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'

-Adams, Douglas

Marvin, the paranoid android. The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, ch.18.

I think that we are in a limited era of cheap cuise fares and they will be a fond memory in two or three years.

I'm afraid you're probably correct. Barring some further economic decline, I think we'll all look back to the last couple of years and wish for the same prices.

• 5 years later...
It will be unrealistic to think that the same entertainment will be available years to come. I am sure once the Blue Man Group contract runs out they might think of changing it for something else, the same with the cirque and the comedy show.

Reasons to change it will be to keep the entertainment options fresh and, I am sure, cost will also be taken into consideration.

Wasn't this a perceptive comment

The onboard production is smaller, but still very elaborate. I believe there were at least 15 performers. I believe there was just 1 clown instead of 2 and most acts were 3 athletes or less with other performers standing in the audience aisles to dress the scene. The show is in the round with a 2 story theater. The way the show was designed, it would be possible to switch acts in and out as long as the scale was small enough for the venue and the act could be performed in the round rather than proscenium style. That said, they really make the most of the space they have and the show is quite thrilling, perhaps even more than in venues in Vegas because it is so close up for those in the front two rows. It feels more like Cirque did originally with the smaller circus tents as opposed to the huge arena like venues in Vegas. I just wish they would get rid of the meal - it detracts from the show, IMO.