Search Me

kicker

CC is a fantastic tool and I learn something new almost everytime I view these boards. I've also found that many of my questions can be answered by using the "Search" feature.

So, why do so many posters repeat the same questions (jeans in DR, Show times, Excursion q's, etc.)? Much of what's asked is already on here somewhere, if you just search for it.

Don't mean to rant - guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today! And, by the way, I searched "Search" before posting this - no recent inquiries like this.

CC is a fantastic tool and I learn something new almost everytime I view these boards. I've also found that many of my questions can be answered by using the "Search" feature.

So, why do so many posters repeat the same questions (jeans in DR, Show times, Excursion q's, etc.)? Much of what's asked is already on here somewhere, if you just search for it.

Don't mean to rant - guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today! And, by the way, I searched "Search" before posting this - no recent inquiries like this.

If you search for "Search" you may find the answer.

There are times I've tried the search feature and it just doesn't work all that great.

I happen to think that if everyone used the search feature, CC would be about 5 pages long and there would be a lot of outdated answers. I never tell newbies to use the search feature, let them ask their own questions if they wish.

Sometimes a search gets so many hits it's overwhelming.

There are times that the question isn't answered completely or the thread is a year or more old leaving you wondering if the information is still accurate.

Lets not forget the threads that are so long it would take hours to read through them!

IMHO, there are many legitimate reasons for repeating questions.

I figure that anyone savy enough to find and use this site can figure out how to use the search feature when it is working and google. And face it at times the search feature here just plain sucks and at times does not work very well. Some people are just lazy and want others to do the work for them. Others start threads with certain subjects just to get a reaction from others (and they usually get just what they were after).

Sometimes a search gets so many hits it's overwhelming.

There are times that the question isn't answered completely or the thread is a year or more old leaving you wondering if the information is still accurate.

Lets not forget the threads that are so long it would take hours to read through them!

IMHO, there are many legitimate reasons for repeating questions.

I agree. Especially about the long threads.

There are times I've tried the search feature and it just doesn't work all that great.

I happen to think that if everyone used the search feature, CC would be about 5 pages long and there would be a lot of outdated answers. I never tell newbies to use the search feature, let them ask their own questions if they wish.

Well said, I agree. Especially about things being out dated.

I think an FAQ's sticky should work well but people don't understand what it is, we had one recently & people asked questions on it, they got quite nasty when told it was for stock answers to FAQ's. I know nothing about online stuff but whenever I visit a site for info I go to search/FAQ's first, makes sense to me.

If everyone is restricted to questions that have not been asked, then there are not going to be any questions asked, and this site will be as useful as the FAQ section of the cruise line's websites.

Points all well taken and I deserve a bit of roasting for even asking - guess I was just in a bad mood this morning. My computer skills are at about a 1st grade level, so I shouldn't criticize others who might not understand how this site works. I stand properly chastised and humbled.

I stand properly chastised and humbled.

No no no... you do not have to feel chastised or humbled. I'd like to know why more people don't use the Search as well. So many times, people say "Search is down." or the famous, "I'm too lazy to search.". Argh! Search is not down, and it works fine. The key is this:

Go to each board and on the middle, right hand side there is a link that says "Search this forum". You click on it and a box comes up - type in one or two key words, and those threads will come up. This is an invaluable tool which I have used many times successfully. If you run a general search on the main front page and not "in this forum" (one board at a time) then you might get too many hits or what have you.

Searching in the forum you are reading is more concentrated and specific, and it works great. :)

Archived