Leaving Cruise Early

Jen1000

Is it possible to get off a cruise early? Paying for the whole cruise is not a problem. One person in our group may not be able to stay for the whole cruise and would like to go home early. The cruise leaves Seattle and the person would get off in one of the US ports, not sure which but it is before going to Canada if it matters.

Jen in SoCal

Is it possible to get off a cruise early? Paying for the whole cruise is not a problem. One person in our group may not be able to stay for the whole cruise and would like to go home early. The cruise leaves Seattle and the person would get off in one of the US ports, not sure which but it is before going to Canada if it matters.

Jen in SoCal

You can always leave the ship. It is not a prison barge. However, the situation that you describe will likely incur a $300. fine for violation of the Jones Act. Call the cruise line for the details.

You can always leave the ship. It is not a prison barge. However, the situation that you describe will likely incur a $300. fine for violation of the Jones Act. Call the cruise line for the details.

I wonder what they would do if you just missed the ship in the port .. would the ship still have to pay the penalty for missign a foreign port?

You still may be fined and you might have a fee to have your luggage sent to you. I'd call the cruise line and find out what are your options.

Well the friend of the OPs can give their luggage to the OP ... and then thats taken care of ... hmmmm. I wouldnt do it .. just curious.

Yes, there is a major problem with work. It is much more expensive to leave early in terms of flights home. It may come down to leave early or not go at all. I have advised him to call Carnival and see what they say. I will post their response.

Jen in SoCal

The friend must have some major business. to take care, to leave in the middle of a cruise.

Here are Carnival's rules regarding one-way passage

We will allow U.S. citizens and Non U.S. citizens to book one-way cruises; it is imperative that they have proper proof of citizenship or they will be denied boarding.

We will not permit Non-U.S, non-booked guests who wish to board in a port-of-call to purchase one-way passage to the United States.

U.S. citizens and Non-U.S. citizens, who are booked on the cruise, which miss the ship and want to join at a port-of-call, may do so. If meeting the ship in a U.S port-of call conflicts with the Jones Act/Passenger Service Act, the guest will be responsible for any and all travel expenses incurred, including the $300 per person Jones Act fee that Carnival may incur for violating this act. Guests will be charged the fee upon boarding the ship and can pay with a credit card, cash or on their Sail & Sign card.

IMPORTANT NOTE: For guests sailing on a one-way basis, whether by choice or by unexpected circumstance, it is the guest's responsibility to check with Immigrations and/or the air carrier being used to determine the travel documentation necessary to enter or exit that country. A valid passport and/or visas may be required.

Booking Procedures and Policies

One-Way Cruise: Non-Pro-Rated Fare

* A full fare one-way cruise (Non-Pro-Rated) can be booked at any time prior to the cruise.

* The booking must be documented with an “M” in the code field; in the comments field, type in the port of embarkation and the port of debarkation.

One-Way Cruise: Pro-Rated Fare

* A pro-rated one-way cruise can only be booked the week of sailing.

* Guest Solutions will contact Guest Services Sailing Support who will authorize the one-way booking based on availability and quote a rate.

* Guest Solutions will enter the manual rate on the booking

* The booking must be documented with an “M” in the code field; in the comments field, type in the port of embarkation and the port of debarkation.

Here is another section from their policies:

The Jones Act (also known as the Passenger Services Act) prohibits ships of Non-U.S registry from embarking and debarking guests at two different U.S ports. Such travel would constitute point-to-point transportation between two U.S ports, which is prohibited on foreign flagged ships. Note: Puerto Rico and the U.S Virgin Islands (St. Thomas; St. Croix; St. John) are not in the category of U.S ports under this act.

The exception to this rule is if the itinerary includes a "distant foreign port". South America and the ABC Islands (Aruba-Bonaire-Curacao) do qualify as distant foreign ports. Canada, Mexico, Central America, Bermuda and most Caribbean Islands do not qualify as distant foreign ports.

Any guest who insists on debarking in this situation (which violates the Jones Act) will accept responsibility for any resulting penalties ($300 per person).

You cannot use a foreign-flagged ship for transportation from one US port to another, unless the ship has called on a distant foreign port first.

I know on our Alaska cruise, the ship was RT from Seattle and called on Victoria, British Columbia on the last day. All the other ports were US ports. So, any passenger leaving the cruise at any port except the last one would violate the law wnd be subject to a fine.

If the person leaving the ship is OK with the fine, they can do it. Carnival will be fined, so they will put through a $300 charge on the S&S account. If you have a cash account and did not have enough to cover the fine, they would require an alternate form of payment before you could leave with your bags.

Edit: I just read that Canada does not count as a distant foreign port, so even if Canada were the first port of call, the guest would still owe the $300 fine if leaving the cruise early from any US port.

Jen in SoCal

This would be a violation of the PVSA and would not be allowed.

It's possible and I doubt anyone would be fined. It would cost more to detect the violation much less to collect the fine, than the actual fine is worth.

Sort of like if you are one bottle over your liquor limit, customs just waves you through - the duty isn't worth the effort to fill out the paperwork.

If you can get off in a foreign port...somewhere in Mexico...could you also catch the ship the following week? I know that would be paying for 2 cruises but it might be worth if for me.

I don't fly and my daughter wants to get married in Mexico.

We were on the first transatlantic for Voyager of the Seas to Galveston. There were two couples at our dining table whose kids were married to each other and lived in Cozumel. The Swiss couple's son was married to the australian couple's daughter and they both owned homes in Cozumel.

Both couples got off in Cozumel to spend Christmas with the kids. Cozumel was also the last port of call for the cruise.

If you can get off in a foreign port...somewhere in Mexico...could you also catch the ship the following week? I know that would be paying for 2 cruises but it might be worth if for me.

Yes that is usually allowed. It's usually only US ports where it isn't allowed.

It's possible and I doubt anyone would be fined. It would cost more to detect the violation much less to collect the fine, than the actual fine is worth.

Sort of like if you are one bottle over your liquor limit, customs just waves you through - the duty isn't worth the effort to fill out the paperwork.

So are you volunteering to pay the passenger's fine. CPB will fine the cruise line. The cruise line will pass the bill on to the passenger.

Yes, this is allowed.

We had a couple on our NCL cruise get off in Cozumel and went into the interior of Mexico to get married. After a month, they returned to Cozumel and boarded the Fantasy to go to New Orleans because it was cheaper than flying.

If you read what I posted, to guarentee you a place you would have to pay full fare. If you want to take a chance, they allow you to pay a partial fare but you can only book the week of the sailing.

Dave

Here are Carnival's rules regarding one-way passage

We will allow U.S. citizens and Non U.S. citizens to book one-way cruises; it is imperative that they have proper proof of citizenship or they will be denied boarding.

We will not permit Non-U.S, non-booked guests who wish to board in a port-of-call to purchase one-way passage to the United States.

U.S. citizens and Non-U.S. citizens, who are booked on the cruise, which miss the ship and want to join at a port-of-call, may do so. If meeting the ship in a U.S port-of call conflicts with the Jones Act/Passenger Service Act, the guest will be responsible for any and all travel expenses incurred, including the $300 per person Jones Act fee that Carnival may incur for violating this act. Guests will be charged the fee upon boarding the ship and can pay with a credit card, cash or on their Sail & Sign card.

IMPORTANT NOTE: For guests sailing on a one-way basis, whether by choice or by unexpected circumstance, it is the guest's responsibility to check with Immigrations and/or the air carrier being used to determine the travel documentation necessary to enter or exit that country. A valid passport and/or visas may be required.

Booking Procedures and Policies

One-Way Cruise: Non-Pro-Rated Fare

* A full fare one-way cruise (Non-Pro-Rated) can be booked at any time prior to the cruise.

One-Way Cruise: Pro-Rated Fare

* A pro-rated one-way cruise can only be booked the week of sailing.

* Guest Solutions will contact Guest Services Sailing Support who will authorize the one-way booking based on availability and quote a rate.

* Guest Solutions will enter the manual rate on the booking

Here is another section from their policies:

The Jones Act (also known as the Passenger Services Act) prohibits ships of Non-U.S registry from embarking and debarking guests at two different U.S ports. Such travel would constitute point-to-point transportation between two U.S ports, which is prohibited on foreign flagged ships. Note: Puerto Rico and the U.S Virgin Islands (St. Thomas; St. Croix; St. John) are not in the category of U.S ports under this act.

The exception to this rule is if the itinerary includes a "distant foreign port". South America and the ABC Islands (Aruba-Bonaire-Curacao) do qualify as distant foreign ports. Canada, Mexico, Central America, Bermuda and most Caribbean Islands do not qualify as distant foreign ports.

Any guest who insists on debarking in this situation (which violates the Jones Act) will accept responsibility for any resulting penalties ($300 per person).

Well this answers everything. :D

Archived