What to do if you don't know if you are prone to seasickness or not

cards09

This will be my first cruise, and I'm really not sure if I am prone to seasickness or not. I occasionally get car sick and air sick, but definitely not every time.

Should I take some dramamine the night before just in case? I heard its best to take it before you feel symptoms.

Or should I wait to see if I actually start to feel symptoms? I would rather not take meds that I don't need.

What have others done in this situation?

Thanks!

This will be my first cruise, and I'm really not sure if I am prone to seasickness or not. I occasionally get car sick and air sick, but definitely not every time.

Thanks!

Car sick, air sick, seasick, it is all the same thing - motion sickness.

Look at it this way, would you rather have it and not need it, or need it and not have it?

If you don't get motion sickness anywhere else, you probably won't have a problem. If you do get motion sickness in cars, amusement rides, planes, etc...then you may want to take something and see how you do!

The only other motion sickness I'm prone to is if I try to read in a car - but I have occasionally gotten sea sick.

Since it's way more difficult to cure sea sickness than to prevent it, and if you have time, I would buy a few different over the counter sea sickness medicines and try them out on dry land for side effects. If they don't bother you - then I'd say by all means take them starting the day before you board and continue for a few days until you have your sea legs.

If you are prone to motion sickness, then I'd get the scopalomine patches prescribed and wear them as directed. it is easier to prevent than cure.

I hear ya about not wanting to take medication that isn't necessary. I am very prone to sea sickness but I keep it under control 2 ways:

1. Ginger pills. they can be found with the vitamins and supplements. it's just powdered ginger root, so no side effects and it really does work to curb nausea (they did a mythbusters episode about different remedies and found ginger to be the best with no side effects). you also don't have to worry about interactions if you take ginger and then decide you'd like an alcoholic drink.

2. my sister is a sailor and she always says "high and dry" as in, keep food in your tummy and don't drink too much. obviously stay hydrated, but if most of what's in your stomach is liquid it sloshes around like the waves.

good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Should I take some dramamine the night before just in case? I heard its best to take it before you feel symptoms.

Or should I wait to see if I actually start to feel symptoms? I would rather not take meds that I don't need.

Thanks!

If you are prone to car and air sickness, you will probably feel the sway of the sea also, but probably only on the first and last night. This is because the ship is usually traveling their fastest on these days. If you are going south, the sea is not as rough unless you encounter bad weather. North like to Alaska is definately more rough on these nights on the outside of the passage. Inside was not really a problem for me because the ship is protected by the islands and it is going much slower.

If you plan on drinking, I would wait to see if you are affected or try non-drug methods. Several listed all through the website.

Thanks!

If you take dramamine the night before, the effects will have worn off by morning. Also, dramamine has drowsiness as a side effect so Bonine would probably be better. I don't take Bonine unless I'm actually starting to feel queasy. Then I chew one or I chew a 25mg Meclizine which is generic Bonine and much cheaper. It only takes about 20 minutes for the effects to stop the queasiness.

So, since you don't want to take meds you don't need, I'd say don't take it until/unless you need it. Also, you might want to try ginger gum or ginger capsules or ginger candy instead. Some people use ginger tea but the taste of that stuff gags me. Some people have even been helped by slowly eating ginger snap cookies.

Have a smooth cruise.

Thanks!

hi, this page gives a couple of tips ... hope they help

http://theportbook.com/shiplife/sea_sickness.html

I strongly suggest not taking anything unless you find you really need it. You are likely to surporise yourself. In the likely case that the sea is relatively calm and the ship is steady, you (and all the other passengers on board) will probably not need anything. In the unlikely case that the sea is rough and the ship is rolling (despite the stabilizers), you and all the others may well need something. Some people are a little more sensitive than others.

DH and my kids (ages 7 and 6) have never cruised before, so I am going to be prepared with a little medicine pack. I'll be bringing sea bands, dramamine and other meds (pepto, for sure :) ) to be sure we have something on-hand just in case.

I went on a cruise with my girlfriends and one of the gals in my room got seasick. She said she'd never experienced any kind of motion sickness before and was really surprised that it happened.

Just got back from our first cruise and only had one night when it was a bit rough, not bad for the Atlantic. DH was a little queasy and put on the wrist bands (from ebay) and that worked for him as he found the pressure points easily. I had trouble finding mine so took Stugeron (internet again). We both lay down for an hour by which time the Stugeron had worked fine with no drowsiness, though I think if you had been drinking all day it might be different. Then we went down for a light dinner. Bonus was that there was plenty of space in the restaurant. Pity they picked that day to have a Mexican theme :D:D.

Jan

I don't get motion sickness in the car often . . . but when I do, it's BAD. However, I've never had a moment's trouble onboard.

Since most people don't seem to have trouble with seasickness, I suggest that you DO NOT take anything "just in case". Even with the good stuff, there's going to be a little drowziness, and if you can avoid taking medicines, that's a good thing. If you get seasick, take some medicine and lay down for a nap. That sort of gives you a "new start" and you're likely to feel fine when you get up. (and if that happens, you'd keep taking the medicine).

Also, give yourself the best possible chance by staying hydrated and not over-doing yourself, especially on the first day or so.

My husband and I are going to use the patches that go behind the ear, except that we're cutting the patch in half so it won't be as strong. I've heard that the people that work on the cruiselines use them too. They must work. We don't usually get any side effects, so we're not concerned about that. We're ready for our cruise in two weeks. :)

I don't get motion sickness in the car often . . . but when I do, it's BAD. However, I've never had a moment's trouble onboard.

Since most people don't seem to have trouble with seasickness, I suggest that you DO NOT take anything "just in case". Even with the good stuff, there's going to be a little drowziness, and if you can avoid taking medicines, that's a good thing. If you get seasick, take some medicine and lay down for a nap. That sort of gives you a "new start" and you're likely to feel fine when you get up. (and if that happens, you'd keep taking the medicine).

Also, give yourself the best possible chance by staying hydrated and not over-doing yourself, especially on the first day or so.

Thanks for the info! :)

My husband and I are going to use the patches that go behind the ear, except that we're cutting the patch in half so it won't be as strong. I've heard that the people that work on the cruiselines use them too. They must work. We don't usually get any side effects, so we're not concerned about that. We're ready for our cruise in two weeks. :)

Hi there...some people also have "motion sickness" problems, my companion on my last cruise got nausceous right after breakfast on the 1st day at sea...literally turned green!!:eek:

I, truthfully would not cut them, they are little like the size of the "round" bandaid in the box..so see how you feel first, then you can apply them :o

I had no such bad luck but am the camper type and always prepare...had the transderm patches and they worked like a miracle within 15 minutes of application..here is a link for what's out there and side effects,etc for those who may need!!:D

http://www.healthline.com/blogs/outd...opolamine.html

We cruise in 68 day's on the CCL Valor!! Can't wait!!!

Enjoy your vacation....

Patty ;^)

I swear by the ginger root tablets that are all natural, won't cause drowsiness, and also help aid in digestion. You can take them a few days before the cruise, and then throughout the duration of the cruise. They are also great for excursions, because being on a smaller boat might make you more seasick. Ginger candy is also good to suck on before or after dinner.

Archived