Amsterdam - aft vibration and noise

zelker

Getting ready to book a 14 night Alaska cruise on the Amsteram which would be the smallest ship we've sailed on (have only been on 1800-2100 person ships so far).

We're looking at either an SA or SB suite on the Navigation Deck. Have read a few comments that some have felt vibration in the aft cabins. Is this true up on the Nav Deck or only on lower decks? And if felt on Nav Deck, can someone tell me what to expect?

Also, we have never had a cabin that was not under another cabin. We are really noise sensitive so which is better - being under the pool area or under the restaurant?

Thanks!

Also, we have never had a cabin that was not under another cabin. We are really noise sensitive so which is better - being under the pool area or under the restaurant?

Under the restaurant. That area will have less furniture movement, and what movement there is will be on carpet.

I have spent quite a bit of time on the Amsterdam...most recently last Fall. My cabin was directly facing aft on Main deck. I did have some vibration but it was mostly just soothing. At times I felt vibration throughout the ship.....even in the crows nest. Isn't this just part of cruising? There was nothing that was a deal breaker......I loved the cruise. The vibration I felt kind of rocked me to sleep.....like an old fashioned vibrating bed that I didn't have to put a quarter in!!! (Not that much though.)

The Amsterdam is a lovely ship ... she ranks up there among my favorite ships of the Holland America Line. However, there is a reason why the crew calls her "The Vibrator."

It's not "bad." The Main Dining room is the only place I noticed it on my cruise aboard her in May 2007. My cabin was on the forward Verandah deck and I didn't notice any unusual vibration (i.e., unusual from what one normally feels aboard a ship). But aft in the Main Dining Room, above the Azipods, there can be some significant vibration when the ship is "pushing it" ... moving at high speed ... or if she's cavitating any due to sea action. It makes the silverware sitting on the tables in the Dining Room rattle a bit, but it's not a "problem." At least, I didn't think it was. :cool:

I agree with Rev Neal's comments, having done 30 days on Amsterdam from SanDiego RT Hawaii/Tahiti. We had one of the sternmost cabins and noticed some vibration only when the ship was at cruising speed between distant ports. But I would not classify it as something to be concerned about:)

Seriously???? The Vibrator??? OMG!! :p

Have definitely felt vibration on other ships when they are pushing them - usually doesn't bother us too much but always glad when they let up on the pedal and things settle down. ;) Can't remember them pushing either of our first Alaska trips too much (on bigger ships) and obviously the waters are way more calm than open seas so that should help.

So if we can book the forward-most aft SB cabin for about $1200 less than a mid-ship SA, it sounds like you all would say we wouldn't regret it -- and would not vibrate out of bed and onto the floor for 14 nights, correct?

One more question then - I see that the SB's only have a shower which is no big deal. Other than that, is there anything else that differs between the two categories?

Thanks again.

Barb

We had an SB cabin on the Amsterdam for an Alaska cruise - I think it was 7050. Felt no out of the ordinary vibration if any and the only difference we can tell is that of a shower only - no tub. And it is a very large nice shower. It is quite a distance from the Neptune Lounge so if you are a big user of that, you will get your exercise. We loved the cabin and you are also close to the very small balcony at the aft end. I'd book an SB again in a minute.

Barbara

We had an SB cabin on the Amsterdam for an Alaska cruise - I think it was 7050. Felt no out of the ordinary vibration if any and the only difference we can tell is that of a shower only - no tub. And it is a very large nice shower. It is quite a distance from the Neptune Lounge so if you are a big user of that, you will get your exercise. We loved the cabin and you are also close to the very small balcony at the aft end. I'd book an SB again in a minute.

Barbara

I agree with you, Barbara. We've spend 10 months on longish cruises on the Amsterdam - the "Grand" cruises -in 7052. However a comment on the distance to the Neptune; We probably made that jaunt 5 or 6 times a day and I figured it was my "exercise for the day" so I walk very briskly, down that hallway on "at sea" days. THAT was one of the reasons we chose that cabin location! The other reason was the "Shower only" ......I don't remember any vibration but I sleep too well on the ship anyway. Besides you are on deck 7; fairly high up and under the pool deck/table area.

A funny comment; on the "World cruise" there was only ONE morning when the noise overhead made us crazy. It started around 4AM and then stopped -then started again around 7 and was prolonged chair thumping and dragging........turns out it was Easter morning and they were preparing FOR and tidying up AFTER "Sunrise Services" up there!;)

Anne [ also a librarian; retired]

There was noise every morning when the crew were cleaning the deck. There were outside tables and chairs above us and they moved them every morning about 6:00 a.m. Every time we complained to the hotel manager the noise would cease, but begin again a few days later.

We felt no vibration but we weren't too close to the aft. Do check if there are chairs above your cabin before you book.

Leslie

The Amsterdam is a lovely ship ... she ranks up there among my favorite ships of the Holland America Line. However, there is a reason why the crew calls her "The Vibrator."

It's not "bad." The Main Dining room is the only place I noticed it on my cruise aboard her in May 2007. My cabin was on the forward Verandah deck and I didn't notice any unusual vibration (i.e., unusual from what one normally feels aboard a ship). But aft in the Main Dining Room, above the Azipods, there can be some significant vibration when the ship is "pushing it" ... moving at high speed ... or if she's cavitating any due to sea action. It makes the silverware sitting on the tables in the Dining Room rattle a bit, but it's not a "problem." At least, I didn't think it was. :cool:

I am just curious...can you tell if the vibrations originate with the diesel engines, or the propellers in the water?

Does it seem different then the almost twin Rotterdam which has traditional screws, rather than azipods?

Just a comment...I was on Celebrity's Constellation back in '05, and it had gas turbines running the generators instead of diesels. While it was a fuel guzzler, it was incredibly vibration-free.

I am just curious...can you tell if the vibrations originate with the diesel engines, or the propellers in the water?

Does it seem different then the almost twin Rotterdam which has traditional screws, rather than azipods?

The Amsterdam's power is generated by five diesel-electric generators. In this, she's not too different from the other ships in the fleet. However, the out-put from those generators is used to power the 15.5 megawatt electric motors inside the azipods, which drive the fixed-pitch propellers. The vibration -- particularly the cavitation -- comes from those propellers and how they interact with the water. When the ship is really moving fast, her stern vibrates as a result. I don't think it has anything to do with the generators, themselves.

Love the Amsterdam! In 2005 we were in 7003 on the Navigation Deck (SA forward, starboard side next to the Penthouse Suite) which is almost directly under the Terrace Grill on the Lido deck. This at times was quite noisy out on the Balcony (Hotel pans banging, chopping etc.). We also experienced vibration when they were "pushing" her a bit during the night but nothing of real significance.

The vibration -- particularly the cavitation -- comes from those propellers and how they interact with the water. When the ship is really moving fast, her stern vibrates as a result. I don't think it has anything to do with the generators, themselves.

RevNeal - can you explain the cavitation part of this please? I understand it has to do with propellers and imploding bubbles ;) but not sure what this means with regard to the ship and vibration.

Barb

PS - Bob, we're pretty new to cruising..... besides sailing twice on the Westie (and once Serenade OTS), we've sailed on the Connie twice and you're right, she is a smooth sailing ship.

RevNeal - can you explain the cavitation part of this please? I understand it has to do with propellers and imploding bubbles ;) but not sure what this means with regard to the ship and vibration.

1. sharp, tiny bouncings up-and-down is cavitation.

2. slight shimmying back and forth is the normal vibration pattern.

Cavitation occurs when sudden changes in the composition of the water streaming past the propellers, the rotation of the propellers in the water, the angle of the pods themselves, or any combination of the three, break the water flow pattern past the propellers. The result is what the a chief engineer once called the Ocean's "speed bumps."

I remember our first cruise (mid-ship on the second sailing of the Westerdam so she had brand new everything) and at night sometimes it would seem like they would "push the gas pedal, then let up on it and coast, then push the pedal, then let up...........". I know they weren't literally doing that but any idea what that was? Maybe some wave action?

We spent 64 days on the Amsterdam and it is our favourite ship so far.

The crew told us that they call her the Vibratordam.

We had cabin 1911 on the lowest deck and it was a problem as it was over the butcher shop and the vibrations caused the equipment to bang against the walls and move across the floor. We had to request a move as the noise went on all night long. Moved one floor up in the same location and it was great after that.

Barbara - I, too, hope we meet "as librarians" some day. We are booked on the "Grand Asia/Pacific" 2010 beginning in September and it is almost a repeat of another we took several years ago. New stops are Komodo [ Indonesia] which I am excited about [ and hope we see one!] and a Cambodia stop also.

All those years I READ about the very places I'm so THRILLED to be seeing now! I honestly pinch myself when we travel as we are and think of "Alice"/Dodson [Lewis Carroll] ........I always think BECAUSE we read- we're TWICE as lucky!

Anne

Archived