Eating dinner in the Windjammer

pattyk

wondering what kind of food they serve in the windjammer at dinner time? We've always eaten in the main dining room and wondering if we should try the windjammer one nite..is there a menu for each nite that we can check out?

There are lots more choices in the Windjammer and you don't have to wait to be served. Some of the MDR choices will be there also. We use it most nights, it's just more relaxing to eat exactly when you want at your own pace. The atmosphere at night is much nicer than during the day, they have soft lighting and waiters are around to help if needed, plus there is wine/beverage service.:)

We typically find ourselves in the WJ in the evenings - the food is okay there - buffet style...there's a little bit more service from the waiters + the lighting is nice...open seating so we have our own 'table for two' without having to worry about requesting or going to maitre'd.

If I remember correctly - my memory does fail me sometimes...there might be an overview menu of what is being served that night in the glass case on the wall as you enter WJ? or is that the main dining room?

There is no menu since the Windjammer is a buffet.

We usually have dinner there a few times on every cruise. It is far more casual and relaxed than the formality of the dining room. On many ships, they have linens and silverware on the tables and they dim the lights. You will often see the captain as well as many of the other staff members dining there in the evenings.

Many but not all of the offerings each evening in the dining room can be found in the Windjammer as well as many other items. I personally love the stir fry area where you select your meats, veggies, pasta and sauce and they will custom stir fry it for you. ;)

Just a quick question, while we're on the dining subject. Do you have to notify the MDR if you're not eating there and decide to go to the Windjammer instead?? Sorry, I'm new to the whole cruise experience.

Just a quick question, while we're on the dining subject. Do you have to notify the MDR if you're not eating there and decide to go to the Windjammer instead?? Sorry, I'm new to the whole cruise experience.

Although it is not required is a courteous thing to do. That way your wait staff and table mates are not waiting for you to show up.

We always stop by the dining room and let our waiter know if we will not be dining there. That way they will not wonder where we are and possibly hold up dinner waiting for us to arrive. ;)

thank you all for your replies..I think I will just check the dining room menu and if it is not something we are really crazy about we will give the windjammer a try for dinner..I do love buffets..but i do love being waited on in the dining room seeing at home i am always the waitress...

There are lots more choices in the Windjammer and you don't have to wait to be served. Some of the MDR choices will be there also. We use it most nights, it's just more relaxing to eat exactly when you want at your own pace. The atmosphere at night is much nicer than during the day, they have soft lighting and waiters are around to help if needed, plus there is wine/beverage service.:)

Ditto - That is a good description. If you get a sunburn and can't stand the thought of putting on a tie, this can be a good choice. I love the MDR, but one night in the WJ isn't a bad experience.

We sooo enjoy all our breakfasts, lunches and dinners in the Windjammer. There's an extensive selection of dishes, ambiance and service.

Imagine sitting at a table for 2 or 4 or 6 , next to the floor to ceiling windows, overlooking the ocean, it feels as if you are soaring over the seas. It's truly magical, morning, noon and evening, truly magical.

I love dinner in the MDR, however, our grandson loves the kids program in the evening so to make everyone happy we take late seating in the MDR and take him to the WJ when it opens. Since there are many of the MDR choices served in the WJ, I take a bite of each to help me decide what I'll have for dinner later on, it's usually about 3 hours later that we're finally eating dinner so it's like a mid afternoon snack.

I'll also take some cheese and crackers back to the room for later, the selection of cheeses they offer for dinner in the WJ seems to be the best selection of the day that I see.

My husband and I much prefer to eat in the Windjammer at night. No endless waiting in the MDR and we found the food often to be better. We sit in the same location and get to know our server. There is always a carving station. A nice relaxing experience.

Jan

My wife and I ate dinner in the windjammer many times. Its quick, and they usually have many of the same items at dinner they have in the dining room. There is more variety especially the Jade area.

On our last cruise we ate in the Windjammer the first night and went to the dining room the second night. We were chastised by the head waiter for eating in the windjammer so bad that we did not go back to the dining room. We have been on 21 cruises and think we should be able to dine where we please and not take the abuse from the head waiter when we do.

My wife and I ate dinner in the windjammer many times. Its quick, and they usually have many of the same items at dinner they have in the dining room. There is more variety especially the Jade area.

On our last cruise we ate in the Windjammer the first night and went to the dining room the second night. We were chastised by the head waiter for eating in the windjammer so bad that we did not go back to the dining room. We have been on 21 cruises and think we should be able to dine where we please and not take the abuse from the head waiter when we do.

Wow! I cannot believe they would be angry at you for not dining in the MDR. What if you had reserved a speciality restaurant? Maybe they were afraid they were not going to get their tips?

Archived