Specialty Restaurants - Custom Food Ordering.

top_frog

Hi,

4 more days til we are on the Solstice. I am thinking of booking either Murano's or Tuscan Grille once we get on board (or both). Just wondering about the ordering. Are you allowed to order anything you want and as much as you want? I am a picky eater and will not be eating the salads and most of the side dishes that come with the meal. So, just wondering if I could mix and match some of the main course offerings (rack of lamb and a lobster tail) or if I could get an entree and customize the side dishes that come with it. I'm not looking to order a lot of food, just want to make sure that I am able to get some stuff that I like to eat.

Thanks

Jason

So, anyone have any info that they can share with me about ordering food in the specialty restaurants? I know ton of people eat in them and rave about the food and service. I hope somene can shed some light on ordering food.

Thanks

Jason

We loved Tuscan Grill and ate there twice. They will let you order just about any combination that is on the menu. They did not serve lobster tails. We enjoyed their Kobe style meatballs the first night and they made us a small order the next time.

If you are a picky eater (not sure what that entails) you might just want to stay with the MDR. With a days advance notice they will make just about any thing they have special to your tastes.

The Tuscan Grill has lots of steaks, some fish and pasta. They can prepare them with and without sauces. They even have a great macaroni and cheese.

My husband and I each ordered a steak and then we order a fish entree to share. Tuscan Grille had no issue with it. I also switched up horseradish mash potatoes for regular mash potatoes as a side. I think as long as they have it, you can have whatever you want.

Muranos on the Equinox made us a special meal for our second visit on our last cruise. I think if you speak to the maitre d a day before your visit they will probably arrange something special for you.

Great. Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like we will eat at one or both of them. Im not that picky of an eater, I just don't eat a lot of veggies and salad and stuff like that. Just wanted to make sure I could get a potato side instead of some asparagus and maybe mix and match some of the main course offerings.

Thanks again.

Jason

Great. Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like we will eat at one or both of them. Im not that picky of an eater, I just don't eat a lot of veggies and salad and stuff like that. Just wanted to make sure I could get a potato side instead of some asparagus and maybe mix and match some of the main course offerings.

Thanks again.

Jason

Hi Jason, the Specialty Restuarants are lovely...so you basically

want meat and potatoes? Tuscan Grille will have plenty of choices

in those categories. They have a wonderful filet.

Murano's also has meat choices...they have a Steak Diane that

is delicious. Both restaurants do have vegetables so if you don't

want them talk to the waiter and ask for a starch instead.

As for salad, they are only offered as a regular course, so you will just

skip it.

As others mentioned, if you want something specific, not on the

menu speak with the Maitr'd but Murano's is not really a "mix and match"

type of menu. Tuscan Grille will be much easier to mix your meal:)

• 10 months later...

I have a sort of related question - if I were to want a specific recipe prepared specially for a special occasion, where would be the best place to ask to have that done? The MDR, or one of the specialty restaurants? Will either one even do something like that?

I have a sort of related question - if I were to want a specific recipe prepared specially for a special occasion, where would be the best place to ask to have that done? The MDR, or one of the specialty restaurants? Will either one even do something like that?

It doesn't hurt to ask, but it may or may not be possible. Ships obviously only are restocked periodically so if your special recipe calls for something not currently in stock, it is not like they can run to the grocery store and snag some. I am not sure which venue would be most likely to accommodate such a request; my guess is you'd have better luck in a specialty restaurant since they in general are able to provide more personalized service. You may want to try talking to the Maitre' D soon after boarding to discuss your request and see if they are able to do this for you.

It doesn't hurt to ask, but it may or may not be possible. Ships obviously only are restocked periodically so if your special recipe calls for something not currently in stock, it is not like they can run to the grocery store and snag some. I am not sure which venue would be most likely to accommodate such a request; my guess is you'd have better luck in a specialty restaurant since they in general are able to provide more personalized service. You may want to try talking to the Maitre' D soon after boarding to discuss your request and see if they are able to do this for you.

Thanks - that's what I had planned to do, but I was wondering if anyone had ever done this or had any experience. What I have in mind wouldn't require any non-standard ingredients, but even so I know it's an ordeal to prepare something off menu. The specialty restaurants seem to be all booked up online for our cruise anyway, so I'll have to head down to Deck 5 as soon as I get onboard and see what I can do!

I would wait until you meet the asst Maitre' D for your table in the MDR. While they are setup to process requests on embarkation they are generally just doing seating requests etc.

My wife has a special diet and we check in with them on every cruise and basically all that happens is they notify the asst Maitre' D to check with us prior to the first meal. Once we inform the asst Maitre' D of our requirements things are taken care of wonderfully. Keeps us coming back to Celebrity.

I am a very picky eater - worse then a normal 6 year old in some respects. I put together my own meal at the Tuscan Grill. Started with baked mac and cheese (this is a side dish to a main course - and it was delicious - served in a small metal dish - the waiter remarked that nobody had ever order it as an appetizer before), then chicken parm for two (pre-ordered a day early with the maitre d), plain pasta, and the fondue for dessert. It was great. I am not shy about nicely asking for plain food - and also giving notice if I think it is necessary. Enjoy.

Archived