How are MDR tables assigned?

kelleherdl

I thought HAL did assignments based on your cabin location, but I've only had one cruise with them. Hubby and I had a balcony cabin and late seating. Our tablemates were the balcony cabin 2 down from us and the balcony cabin 5 down from us. I know the people next door to us had early seating. Not sure about the others between - either early or open? It appeared that HAL started at one end of the hall and started assigning tables.

Don't know about table assignments. On our first few cruises, we were assigned, but since we were traveling with family we were all seated together, which was fine with us. After we got some horrible tablemates one noon in the dining room (one trying to "out impress" the next one) we vowed to always get a table for two! Worked really well for us, but we have open seating this time, so we are hoping just to be able to get a table for two! We are on a cruise/tour so will have plenty of time to meet others!

I thought HAL did assignments based on your cabin location, but I've only had one cruise with them. Hubby and I had a balcony cabin and late seating. Our tablemates were the balcony cabin 2 down from us and the balcony cabin 5 down from us. I know the people next door to us had early seating. Not sure about the others between - either early or open? It appeared that HAL started at one end of the hall and started assigning tables.

Nope -- we were in an S -- table mates were in an inside cabin.

I agree, KK. One cruise we shared our dining table with the residents of the Penthouse (and we were in a VERY LOW grade oceanview). Then again, other times everyone at the table was in an oceanview. Last cruise, we were balcony, oceanview, inside, so I tend to think cabin category really doesn't affect seating.

I'm starting to believe, just by reading the various posts in this thread, that the MDR assignments may just possibly be based upon how far out you book your cruise... The earlier you book your cruise, the lower the table number? Also would go by your request for seating, i.e., table for 2, 4, 6, 8 or more?

Just an thought....

Joanie

I'm starting to believe, just by reading the various posts in this thread, that the MDR assignments may just possibly be based upon how far out you book your cruise... The earlier you book your cruise, the lower the table number? Also would go by your request for seating, i.e., table for 2, 4, 6, 8 or more?

Just an thought....

Joanie

I don't think so, IRL_Joanie -- though it has been a LONG time since we had the Penthouse residents as our tablemates :D They'd booked over a year in advance, and we grabbed a last-minute "get me OUTTA HERE" deal.

I'm inclined to think there's an elf (or gremlin or leprechaun) hiding in a lifeboat who throws all the cabin #s into a hat, shakes the hat, then as he pulls cabin #s out of the hat, assigns them to the vacant seats at the next table that has the # of seats (2, 4, 6, 8) the people had requested. :D

Unless someone who works for HAL replys to this thread, we will never truly know how the assignments are made.

I can only speak for my sailings. But the tablemates have varied on cabins, number of sailing days,decks, age and where they are from.

Like Cow Princess and CB at Sea I enjoy dining with others in the MDR. I also consider it one of the best factors of my cruising experience.

Due to my dining on both HAL and other cruiselines, I've meet World War II vets, missionaries, Holocaust survivor,full time cruisers,professors, etc. Such people have enrich my life.

I've only had one bad tablemate and that was on the Oosterdam. He gave the true meaning of tablemate from hell. The guy was upset because I was sitting at "his" table. He question how was I, a black blue collar person, was able to afford to cruise. I end up eating in the lido after two nights of him. On my next cruise I was really worried about tablemates, I end up with some great people, including someone that I still sail with on HAL cruises.

I mainly sail solo and not all of the time have the tables all solo cruisers. I've sat with families, couples and friends. The ages have varied. I often joke that it was on Carnival,not HAL, that I was the youngest at dinner.

But I understand why some people prefer to dine at a two top. If they don't want to eat with strangers, let them eat alone. But don't complain if the wait for a two top is longer.

I hope that on my winter cruise that I end up with great tablemates!!!

He gave the true meaning of tablemate from hell. The guy was upset because I was sitting at "his" table. He question how was I, a black blue collar person, was able to afford to cruise.

Really, REALLY sorry you had to endure that, even briefly :( If you're at all like me (and I think you are) I bet you're always too late thinking of the "snappy comeback". Let's practice, shall we? :D

"My last cruise, my dinner table companion died of a heart attack, right there AT THE TABLE, right in front of me. It was disgusting -- he threw up all over the place and then he died! He vomited on me, can you imagine???? Most of his dinner, all over the table and me. It was revolting. So this cruise was a gift from the cruiseline. Thanks for asking"

"I'm a disbarred lawyer. No one has figured out where I hid the money"

"I won a lawsuit against my doctor for messing up my surgery..... let me tell you about it...."

"Every boyfriend I've ever had has died mysteriously, and I've always been the beneficiary on the insurance policies".... and smile.

Again, I am really sorry you encountered such a boor :(

Really, REALLY sorry you had to endure that, even briefly :( If you're at all like me (and I think you are) I bet you're always too late thinking of the "snappy comeback". Let's practice, shall we? :D

"My last cruise, my dinner table companion died of a heart attack, right there AT THE TABLE, right in front of me. It was disgusting -- he threw up all over the place and then he died! He vomited on me, can you imagine???? Most of his dinner, all over the table and me. It was revolting. So this cruise was a gift from the cruiseline. Thanks for asking"

"I won a lawsuit against my doctor for messing up my surgery..... let me tell you about it...."

"Every boyfriend I've ever had has died mysteriously, and I've always been the beneficiary on the insurance policies".... and smile.

We could seriously hang out together! Thanks for the chuckle!

I am not sure what you do/did for a career, but you certainly should be on a stage somewhere making people laugh. This is twice in one thread. You are killing me over here in Arkansas!

we really aren't interested in strangers lives, family and eating habits and what we do is none of their business. It's our vacation and we don't wish to share it unless we travel w/ friends or family. We like the same wait staff every evening. Maybe some will think us strange but we pay the money and make our choice.

I think some of the posters may be assuming too much homogeneity among the Dining Room Managers on the HAL fleet. My guess (but only a guess) is that each Manager uses his experience to make the table assignments for the guests, but without ironclad rules from Seattle. Let's not forget that each of them has years of experience on HAL before being promoted to DR Manager. Why do you think Seattle would push down uniform procedures for these folks to follow? Unless someone can tell me that the table assignment is made by a computer algorithm provided by HAL, I'm willing to assume that each DR Manager uses his experience to make the assignment.

And, He/She knows that if folks are unhappy, they will come and talk.

Our very first cruise ever, we were at a 6 top even though we requested a 2 top. It was three couples we were all almost a generation apart. The older gentleman had some very strong opinions and the younger gentleman was not of the same mind. After two evenings together, we never saw the younger couple at dinner again. It was interesting.

Our last cruise was a family trip. We were five and we had a table all to ourselves and it was wonderful.

OK, let's apply some science to this. I may have some of the conditions wrong, but after a dozen cruises, I think I see some sense here.

First, the paid customers in PS, SA, SB and SC get their wishes. Secondly, those that bought various packages that promise choice of seating get assigned.

Second, specific requests. Things like "we are a family/group of X, we would like to sit together" type of situations. Or, "we really, really, REALLY want a 2 top". There could could be many of these types of requests, in many forms- windows, 6, or 8, or 10 or 12 member groups.

Next, something resembling senority, by date of booking.

Then, everybody else, if they some how missed the other criteria.

Of course, with Anytime Dining, that takes some people out of the seating plan right away.

Now, from personal experience, we have requested 2 tops for the last 5 or 6 cruises because we value our quality time together, DW is pretty shy in group situations, and particularly because we had two cruises when we got stuck with, in one case, the group of 3 ladies who complained about the sun coming up in the East in the morning, and setting in the West in the evening, and in the other case, a couple from a certain area who believed the cause of all problems in the world had to do with minorities and politicians.

So, we get a Suite every time, and get a 2 top, no problems.

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Nope -- we were in an S -- table mates were in an inside cabin.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/QUOTE]In that case, on Maasdam, we were randomly assigned a table for 6 with two other couples who were in the same cabin type as us, on the same side of the ship, and within 6 cabins of us.

Archived