Thoughts about tipping the room steward during the cruise

heisnuts

We always tip our cabin steward the last night of the cruise. In order for him/her to keep the tip, we were informed that it should be in a tip envelope with name and cabin number so management can check against the auto-tip. If no auto-tip individual tips go into the pool.

We follow the same procedure with our waiter, asst waiter, and most cruises also the head waiter who serves our area.

Pre-tipping does not make sense to us. We do not tip our waiter in a shore restaurant before service is rendered so why would we on a cruise?

We always have had superb service on Princess and tip accordingly.

P&J

Last year we cruised the Star to SA/Antarctica and it happened to be around Valentine's Day. My wife brought along a few small heart-shaped boxes of candy (one was for me) and we gave one to the steward that day. He was ecstatic for the small gesture and treated us quite well. We also gave him an extra tip the last night. He thanked us profusely and then stated the following..."You are good for me!"

The only times we've tipped during the cruise was for a middle of the night clean-up when one of our party was ill. They really deserved that one!Otherwise, adding a tip to room service when delivered (especially now that we can just sign for a tip) seems appropriate.We always tip at the end because on every cruise there has been someone who went above and beyond.

OP, there is absolutely no reason to break protocol and tip prior to the end of your cruise. You may think it will ensure excellent service, but many do not see it that way. Stewards are expecting their tip at the end of your cruise; no reason to "bribe" him or her (and yes, I see it as a bribe).

I usually have a request at the beginning of the cruise. When the request is fufilled, I give a tip. Then I may have another request and will then tip again. The requests are usually for ice, or different pilow or room service or whatever. I always tip extra for any request and have found that in addidtion to the excellent service that I usually get, that it is always appreciated. Once I tipped before a request and it didn't have the same result so I don't do that anymore as it does come off being a bribe. Since I work in the service industry I KNOW what tips are about and I bring lots of one dollar bills for the extra tips in the bars and usually end up tipping the room steward lots of money for the great job that they do. This is above the auto tip. It makes me feel good to tip and I haven't been sorry yet for the extra dollars that I spend. Take care of your people and they will take care of you.

The only times we've tipped during the cruise was for a middle of the night clean-up when one of our party was ill. They really deserved that one!

We don't tip extra until the last day. Usually, I hand it to our cabin steward along with a completed "You Made a Difference" card.

However, I think we might do a special tip if we had a special circumstance such as the one Times Prince described.

To show the cabin steward and table wait staff in the dining room that I appreciate good service, I always bring them a special treat at the beginning of the cruise such as a bag of chocolate candy (Hershey's kisses and variety) and/or a small gift. We always use the auto tip at the end but if the service is extra good, we'll give them a few extra dollars which they can keep without being put into the pot.

I still am not convinced that the extra tips stay with the person you gave them to. I think they go into a pool. But, I do like the comment of internation calling cards as tip. That can not be shared in a pool :) Does anyone know which cards are the best to give???

I still am not convinced that the extra tips stay with the person you gave them to. I think they go into a pool. But, I do like the comment of internation calling cards as tip. That can not be shared in a pool :) Does anyone know which cards are the best to give???
If you tip, the steward or waitstaff hands it in to their Supervisor. At the end of the cruise, if you have left the auto-tip on, they get it back. Otherwise, it goes into the tipping pool.

Since we seem to ask for a lot of things (robes, egg crate, top sheets, extra blankets, extra hangers and special pillows) immediately after meeting the room steward for the first time, we tip him (we've only had males) $20 after we receive everything we asked for the first day. We indicate the auto-tip is in place. We also ask him to assure the ice bucket is kept filled through-out the cruise.

If we receive exceptional service during the cruise, we will give the room steward an additional $50 to $100 (depends on the length of the cruise and the service) again indicating the auto-tip is in place.

So far, we have been happy to very happy with the service we receive from the room Steward.

I've never given a steward anything on day one, and service for the whole cruise is outstanding. Hmmmm.

Same here. Outstanding service without pre-tipping. We receive the requested egg crate, ice and whatever else we ask for without having to tip in advance.

Calling cards are a good idea but don't trump cash. I've been on a lot of cruises and seen a lot of crew enjoying themselves in port and buying items for their personal use.

I agree. Also, talking with some of the crew about staying in touch with family they said the internet (email, social networking etc.) is the easiest way with their schedules and time zone differences.

"Throughout" the cruise we look for an opportunity to tip not only Stewart but also bar tenders and others such as those who give us our brewed coffee and Revolution Tea. We do it to show our appreciation. The tips have never never been interpreted as a bribe and our service has never deteriorated but has became even better during the cruise.

"Throughout" the cruise we look for an opportunity to tip not only Stewart but also bar tenders and others such as those who give us our brewed coffee and Revolution Tea. We do it to show our appreciation. The tips have never never been interpreted as a bribe and our service has never deteriorated but has became even better during the cruise.

The tip is always added to the bar bill automatically. If you give anything directly to the bar waiter he's getting a double tip. We asked about extra tips to the steward and waiters and were told that if you leave the auto tip in place they can keep what you give them extra. We always tell our wait staff and steward that this is above and beyond the auto tips so they are very happy to keep them.

Am I giving the wrong impression leaving some of the "travel supplies" I bring along on the cruise as a mini tip,thinking that the crew may find a use for them? I usually buy the aerosol can of sunscreen which I only use some of (if ever) that I don't need to bring back home with me or the bottle of aloe lotion that I never opened since I was a good girl in the sun or the miniature laundry soaps for just in case or my just read paperback books or my water shoes that I only wore the once. I just leave the items in the room and I get to clear some room in my luggage. I do like the idea of bringing a "treat" to give at the beginning of the cruise. If there is some supply they could really use, I could always bring extras since I think I am a great bargin shopper. Any thoughts?

Am I giving the wrong impression leaving some of the "travel supplies" I bring along on the cruise as a mini tip,thinking that the crew may find a use for them? I usually buy the aerosol can of sunscreen which I only use some of (if ever) that I don't need to bring back home with me or the bottle of aloe lotion that I never opened since I was a good girl in the sun or the miniature laundry soaps for just in case or my just read paperback books or my water shoes that I only wore the once. I just leave the items in the room and I get to clear some room in my luggage. I do like the idea of bringing a "treat" to give at the beginning of the cruise. If there is some supply they could really use, I could always bring extras since I think I am a great bargin shopper. Any thoughts?

My guess is all the stuff you leave behind goes directly into the garbage can as soon as you clear your room. They have little to no room in their cabin for such things. Just because you like a brand or find something useful does not mean they do. The only treat they really want is money to buy the treat of their choice (not yours).

The bar bill tip (15%) usually goes to the bartender pool. The extra cash usually goes directly to the the bartender! Yes -- they remember us when they mix the drinks! Anyway that is how we cruise.

The tip is always added to the bar bill automatically. If you give anything directly to the bar waiter he's getting a double tip.

Am I giving the wrong impression leaving some of the "travel supplies" I bring along on the cruise as a mini tip,thinking that the crew may find a use for them?

Umm, sorry but ewww... I would never use a stranger's toiletries. My educated guess is that your cabin is swept of everything after you vacate it. I'm sure it all goes in the garbage.

Cash is king, as they say.

I've only ever pre-tipped twice. I always leave my auto-tip in place and I've always left an extra tip at the end. The amount of the extra tip depends on how good they are. I've always had very good to excellent room stewards. The first time I gave a pre-tip was back when you could get a chaise lounge chair hauled down to your balcony (before the fire on the Star). I tipped him for bringing a chair down for me. On my last cruise, I asked him to make my bed as soft as possible. I gave him $10 and he put a good 5 inches of foam pads on my mattress. I don't know, of course, what I would have gotten if I hadn't tipped him. He did a good job for me. I have to say that I never thought about bringing candy. I alway figure that a lot of people leave their pillow candy at the end of the cruise and they probably get more than enough. I used to hear a lot about international calling cards and I do think that's probably thoughtful, but not in place of money. Money is money for all of us.

I've only ever pre-tipped twice. I always leave my auto-tip in place and I've always left an extra tip at the end. The amount of the extra tip depends on how good they are. I've always had very good to excellent room stewards. The first time I gave a pre-tip was back when you could get a chaise lounge chair hauled down to your balcony (before the fire on the Star). I tipped him for bringing a chair down for me. On my last cruise, I asked him to make my bed as soft as possible. I gave him $10 and he put a good 5 inches of foam pads on my mattress. I don't know, of course, what I would have gotten if I hadn't tipped him. He did a good job for me. I have to say that I never thought about bringing candy. I alway figure that a lot of people leave their pillow candy at the end of the cruise and they probably get more than enough. I used to hear a lot about international calling cards and I do think that's probably thoughtful, but not in place of money. Money is money for all of us.

They don't eat the pillow candy. They do love the Hershey's chocolates I bring. Many times they will tell me it didn't even last two days. On a longer cruise I may give them a bagful at the beginning and then another bag later on. And that's besides extra tips at the end if they do very good work. One person I don't tip is the Maitre d' unless he does something out of the way for me. Same for the table captain. They are salaried where the waiters and stewards are not.

To me, pre-tipping smells of bribery. Room stewards are there to be of service and most of them do a great job of it. In my opinion, if you feel you have received outstanding, exemplary service, the time for extra tips is at the end of the cruise. I wonder if those who tip up front do the same thing in a restaurant - tip the waiter(s) when he or she takes the order - bet they don't, even though doing so is analagous to tipping a room steward up front.

Archived