The 'is this formal or smart casual?' thread

Belease

I love reading about all the glam outfits we're wearing on upcoming cruises, but like a lot of people, when it comes to my OWN clothes I can get mixed up about smart casual and formal, especially with dresses. I have no idea if a thread like this exists or not (if it does, I'm hoping you lovely posters will accept my apologies for reposting) but I thought I'd start a thread where we could post pictures of items we own or are thinking of buying, with that burning question in mind - formal or smart casual?!

So, here's my first entry - a dress from Coast (UK store) which was reduced from £135 ($203) to £37 (sorry, couldn't resist crowing about my bargain!).

coastreddresswaterfall1.jpg

coastreddresswaterfall2.jpg

Bottom image is the back. What do you think - could I get away with this as a formal dress?

I love reading about all the glam outfits we're wearing on upcoming cruises, but like a lot of people, when it comes to my OWN clothes I can get mixed up about smart casual and formal, especially with dresses. I have no idea if a thread like this exists or not (if it does, I'm hoping you lovely posters will accept my apologies for reposting) but I thought I'd start a thread where we could post pictures of items we own or are thinking of buying, with that burning question in mind - formal or smart casual?!

So, here's my first entry - a dress from Coast (UK store) which was reduced from £135 ($203) to £37 (sorry, couldn't resist crowing about my bargain!).

coastreddresswaterfall1.jpg

coastreddresswaterfall2.jpg

Bottom image is the back. What do you think - could I get away with this as a formal dress?

That's a very cute dress in my opinion! I'm going to a wedding in less than 2 weeks and I'm looking for something similar (at least with a cap sleeve) but maybe in a plum color! I list in California so I doubt I could order from the UK and it would get here on time! Shipping charges alone might be expensive.

Also, I believe you can wear that for a formal night. As the other poster noted, not everyone wears long dresses anymore - some do, some don't and I think it's a perfect dress for a formal evening! Now I need help in finding a nice dress! Our Macy's stores are terrible! I don't know who their buyers are but it's terrible stuff!

There's some great feedback here, thank you very much for your helpful tips (and kind compliments!). Looking at the fabric I think this will travel well, so hopefully I shall be wearing it on a formal night for my cruise!

I am very interested to hear people's opinions about the suitability of different dresses, especially from the US, as I am from the UK and I think perhaps there are differences in the way we perceive certain dress codes. (Country-club casual doesn't really mean anything to me, for example, we don't have country-clubs in my part of the world!) So I am happy to learn! :D

Anyone else have a problematic dress they want a verdict on?

Very cute dress and congratulations on snagging such a bargain :)

I would consider the dress to be more smart casual than formal. Not to say you don't see dresses such as this on formal nights...just to me it is not formal enough.

I think the dress is darling. I would wear it on formal night.

Nice shoes and accessories and your good to go.

Not to often you find me in a long dress as it's much easier to dance the night away in a shorter dress.

The main thing is that you like it and feel good in it!

:D

Very cute dress and congratulations on snagging such a bargain :)

I would consider the dress to be more smart casual than formal. Not to say you don't see dresses such as this on formal nights...just to me it is not formal enough.

I agree.

It's a cocktail dress. It's not formal, and there are formal dresses that are short, but this is not one of them.

That said, it's certainly pretty enough that no one would look at you like you've totally missed the mark.

But as Happy Ks says, it's not something I would wear if the code said "formal".

The question of whether a dress is formal is quite different from whether the dress is appropriate for "formal" night on a cruise. (I was answering the second question, since that what I inferred the OP wanted to know - she asked about "getting away with" wearing it on formal night).

Reading the actual dress guidelines for "formal" night on most ships reveals that coctail dresses are acceptable (and the norm on many ships). Carnival doesn't even have a "formal: night any more (just an "elegant" night.

So for a lot of people, the length of the dress is what makes it formal or not, really. But then I do see people having trouble categorizing maxi dresses, which can sometimes have patterns on them which make them seem more informal! I have a dress like that, if I can find a picture I will post it for your verdict! :D

I'm not planning on wearing this dress anywhere but to dinner, so I won't be rubbing shoulders with the glam girls in their full length dresses so much! ;)

So for a lot of people, the length of the dress is what makes it formal or not, really. But then I do see people having trouble categorizing maxi dresses, which can sometimes have patterns on them which make them seem more informal! I have a dress like that, if I can find a picture I will post it for your verdict! :D

I'm not planning on wearing this dress anywhere but to dinner, so I won't be rubbing shoulders with the glam girls in their full length dresses so much! ;)

I think the term "formal night" has changed quite a bit on cruise ships. What used to be the typical "formal" wear (i.e., men in tuxedos and ladies in long gowns) might still hold true for ships such as Crystal and Cunard (and possibly some of the other luxury cruise ships) but I believe the "standard" has been lowered quite a bit on most other cruise lines. I've noticed many of the younger girls (being teens or in their early 20's) have resorted to short dresses that are, in my opinion, dressier than a regular short dress. So, just go with it and you have 2 thumbs up from me for wearing it on one of those formal occasions! LOL

So for a lot of people, the length of the dress is what makes it formal or not, really.

It's a combo of the style, the fabric, and how those relate to the length. You'll never have a short ballgown, but as you stated -you can have full length casual dresses. I wouldn't go to a black tie event in a short dress but I would certainly wear a cocktail dress on a cruise "formal" night.

It's a combo of the style, the fabric, and how those relate to the length. You'll never have a short ballgown, but as you stated -you can have full length casual dresses. I wouldn't go to a black tie event in a short dress but I would certainly wear a cocktail dress on a cruise "formal" night.

agreed

and even tho i SAIL FREESTYLE now my first cruise was on X and i saw more ladies in shorter dressier type cocktail dresses than i did in gowns and that was almost 8 years ago

In my opinion, with a maxi it is the fabric more than anything. Jersey is not going to pass for formal night, unless maybe in black with formal accessories. Chiffon or satin turns most maxis into a gown. This dress with an abstract floral pattern appears to be an evening gown because it is silk chiffon and is embellished with jewels under the bustline.

09.jpg.bb4eb01d150699e6752701380e3eff3c.jpg

My rule of thumb is kind of "If I'd wear it to church, it's smart casual. If it's too much for church, it's formal or semi-formal. If it's not enough for church, it's casual."

ETA a picture of typical churchwear for me:

100_0959.jpg

That's a good way of looking at it, mehitabel - lovely outfit, too (and I love your dog!).

royalcruz, I agree - the dress I have is actually very similar to the one you have on in design, it's a purple and red silk maxi dress with a halterneck top. I would hope it too was suitable for the cruise's formal nights! I certainly wouldn't wear either of these dresses for when I get invited to the Queen's house (happens ALL the time ;)) but as loads of people have said, formal nights on cruise lines aren't the same as black tie and opera glove events.

This thread is really filling up with some great observations and discussions, so thank you all for contributing!

Just so you know, I have one, sure to be right and unquestionable formal dress which even the Queen would be proud of (but now I've written that I'm starting to doubt myself already!)

55000141_F_m1.jpg

This is actually a bridal dress from Monsoon in the UK (on me, it is floor length, and also I have a head!) and has lovely silver detailing on the shoulders. I bought it for my wedding day but I think I'll save it for my first formal night on my honeymoon cruise instead, now! Unless I get too small for it. :mad:

I understand your thought regarding length. I have seen maxi dresses worn for formal nights and that same dress in a short length would be a sundress. Fabric and style really do make the difference.

Cocktail length dresses certainly aren't traditional formal wear, but for a cruise these days, absolutely acceptable. If we were to go back to men in tuxedos, women look better next to them in a long gown. But, since many men are now wearing sportscoats and suits, cocktail dresses are more suited.

I really think couples and families should dress to compliment each other. I did not say match.

OT - The funny thing is...my husband and I will get ready to leave and find we are wearing the same colors once we get into the car. We really don't care to look like twins, it's never on purpose.

I think the white dress is pretty. Do you think you are going to shrink?

I don't know, I've been losing a lot of weight recently so I ordered dresses in sizes smaller than I was. I have that dress in what would be a US size 8, but have found some dresses in stores which are size 6 are too big. I'm not that slim, I think something funny is happening to dress sizes! But my worst nightmare is to slim to a size I want to be comfortable at and have my nice dresses not fit me anymore! But... that's off topic!

Happy Ks, you're so right about taking into consideration men's formal wear, it does make it difference! I forgot to think about that too. And how funny you match your husband so often! You must be in synch!

Archived