Cyclones - Pac Dawn, Pac Sun, Pac Jewel etc

Surf_Chick

When does cyclone season finish?

Im leaving in 6 weeks on the Pac Dawn to do the south pacific. And dont want to run into a cyclone again hehe... We were tailed by a cyclone on my last cruise in Jan 08 and had to miss Vila and instead went to Isle of Pines, we had some big seas that night after we turned around. (not that i minded it at all i LOVED isle of pines :p)

Just wondering how the ships will be going this week & next week with the cyclones, especially the Pac Dawn that will be coming back into Bris as the cyclone heads to QLD. :confused: im thinking they might be in for some rough seas..

According to Capt Turnbull, we had 4m swells and 50knot winds across the deck coming back in last Friday - and that was before the cyclone appeared.:eek:

The effects on the vessel were moderate, but some comment on the "rough ride" was heard around the decks. ;)

Looking at the current Met Sat photos, PD should come under the cyclones influence after it leaves Vila today and tracks north of New Caledonia before setting course to Brisvegas.

She should be no danger whatsoever, but it will possibly make for an "interesting" ride.:p

I think the cyclone season should be well and truly over before you sail - but ya never know.:D

The cyclone season should finish by the end of March. The season is roughly from December to March, and I have noticed that cyclones are more prevalent in February/March than in the earlier part of the season.

We have been in 10m seas on the Pacific Dawn and that wasn't due to a cyclone. It is the luck of the draw.

The one I am watching is Pacific Princess.

Due in Cairns tomorrow and then from there is heading up to Guam.

Hopefully she will skirt the cyclone, but I believe Cairns and North Queensland are on weather watch alert.

thanks everyone, i should be safe.... haha

cant wait to hear some reviews on the seas in the next couple of weeks, i want some pics and footage of rough seas etc lol... not that im a huge fan of ROUGH seas i like "some" movement hehe...

According to Capt Turnbull, we had 4m swells and 50knot winds across the deck coming back in last Friday - and that was before the cyclone appeared.:eek:

The effects on the vessel were moderate, but some comment on the "rough ride" was heard around the decks. ;)

That was my first cruise...and my stomach wasn't quite ready for Friday! I'd hate to have been on the outgoing cruise after us! It was good fun having the bumpy ride, I just wish I'd been able to stomach it enough to enjoy it. Having a laugh with Matthew at the purser's desk somehow made me feel a lot better.

Dennis, what did you think of Captain Turnbull? We thought he was great - marvellous sense of humour and very good with keeping us informed of problems eg tsunami. He is certainly living up to his nickname 'Windy'. He certainly won't forget his time downunder - it's a shame it won't be for very long.

Dennis, what did you think of Captain Turnbull? We thought he was great - marvellous sense of humour and very good with keeping us informed of problems eg tsunami. He is certainly living up to his nickname 'Windy'. He certainly won't forget his time downunder - it's a shame it won't be for very long.

As a mariner I think he instilled a great sense of security and professionalism in all he came into contact with.

As a person he showed himself to be a great comedian and an all round nice bloke over the cruise - especially during the Captain's "Interview".:p

I agree with you opinion Sandy - a pity we won't have him for long.

That was my first cruise...and my stomach wasn't quite ready for Friday! I'd hate to have been on the outgoing cruise after us! It was good fun having the bumpy ride, I just wish I'd been able to stomach it enough to enjoy it. Having a laugh with Matthew at the purser's desk somehow made me feel a lot better.

Glad you enjoyed it Bec - we did. ;)

There were some "wobbly" people in the dining room on Friday night. :)

Not as bad as its going to be for the next two nights though I think. :eek::D

Well Yatchet, I think I will call it a night. There are no more cruise discussions for now.

I can't wait any longer for the people at my Meet and Greet to come and give any answers. :D:D:D

They rarely came on before - they've probably got other things in their lives and are not cruise tragics like us!!! Besides, one look tonight would be enough to frighten them away! :eek:

Well Yatchet, I think I will call it a night. There are no more cruise discussions for now.

I can't wait any longer for the people at my Meet and Greet to come and give any answers. :D:D:D

They rarely came on before - they've probably got other things in their lives and are not cruise tragics like us!!! Besides, one look tonight would be enough to frighten them away! :eek:

Sure would, there's no need for the others to come on, why would anyone here dis believe you, have to ignore that idiot.

Archived