Elite Mini-Bar Exchange

unboringuy

Great! Assuming we could do a mini bar one week and two coffee cards the next week?

Debr

That's exactly what we did & requested no name or cruise number on the card. We were on 4-day b2b cruises & they said "no problem".

Another recommendation is to call room service a day or two before the end of your 1st leg of your cruise to request your coffee cards. That saves them a wasted trip delivering a minibar setup & having to exchange it for the coffee cards. They are appreciative & will deliver your coffee cards in an envelope on turnaround day. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Another recommendation is to call room service a day or two before the end of your 1st leg of your cruise to request your coffee cards. That saves them a wasted trip delivering a minibar setup & having to exchange it for the coffee cards. They are appreciative & will deliver your coffee cards in an envelope on turnaround day. :)

Thanks for this tip. We always alternate bar setup and coffee cards when we are B2B, but have called for the exchange after our bar set up was delivered. Will call them the day before first leg ends from now on.

Thanks for this tip. We always alternate bar setup and coffee cards when we are B2B, but have called for the exchange after our bar set up was delivered. Will call them the day before first leg ends from now on.

Anything we can do to help the hardworking crew is appreciated by them. ;)

Another thing we do when exchanging items (get Diet Coke & beer) is to request wine glasses from room service. While I've read that some cabin stewards keep them on their cart, apparently they come from room service. Thus we request wine glasses when exchanging minibar setup items & give a small token of our appreciation to them. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

That's exactly what we did & requested no name or cruise number on the card. We were on 4-day b2b cruises & they said "no problem".

This made me LOL because I got SUCH grief from one of the baristas on the Grand Princess last year because my card had a couple of punches out of it and no date/name on the back of the card. He said, "If this is a card you've purchased on a prior sailing, I'll have to take two punches." I explained that I had exchanged my elite mini bar setup for the coffee card on that voyage. He looked at me like he didn't believe it and said, "Okay, I'll give you a break this time" - basically calling me a liar. My husband had to hold me back from climbing over the counter to choke him!

This made me LOL because I got SUCH grief from one of the baristas on the Grand Princess last year because my card had a couple of punches out of it and no date/name on the back of the card. He said, "If this is a card you've purchased on a prior sailing, I'll have to take two punches." I explained that I had exchanged my elite mini bar setup for the coffee card on that voyage. He looked at me like he didn't believe it and said, "Okay, I'll give you a break this time" - basically calling me a liar. My husband had to hold me back from climbing over the counter to choke him!

Thankfully we've never had such an experience & have found the baristas to be very accommodating. Some get to know us & don't even ask for the card to get brewed coffee. :) When we find cheerful helpful baristas we'll tip them at the end of the cruise; if we ever experience a barista like you it would be "no tip for you". :eek:

Technically he is correct however it wasn't "purchased" & it was a "gift" for being an elite member. :p

Technically he is correct however it wasn't "purchased" & it was a "gift" for being an elite member. :p

That kind of thinking is what almost got him throttled - lol :p

I was shocked by the whole encounter, since usually the baristas are fantastic! And if you sit in the International Cafe for more than one morning the waitresses know what you want right away! My stunned hesitation is why he still lives :D

Have no fear, I got his name and recounted the entire exchange on my comments at the end of the cruise. So hopefully no one else will ever run into the same issues with him!!

You know, I think I've only ever had someone turn the card over to look maybe once in YEARS... although I did get a huge laugh when I tried to use the old card that looked like an actual playing card about 4 years after they did away with them. The waitress laughed and said "how old IS this card?" :)

Thank you!

Debr

I did get a huge laugh when I tried to use the old card that looked like an actual playing card about 4 years after they did away with them. The waitress laughed and said "how old IS this card?" :)
Don't laugh, but I'm still milking one of those old cards, with 4 punches left to go.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you contact Princess before your cruise to let them know that you would like to trade your mini-bar set up for two coffee cards, so that it is not even set up in your cabin? If so, who would I call?

Thank you.

No you call Room Service after reaching your cabin.

Mike:)

Can you contact Princess before your cruise to let them know that you would like to trade your mini-bar set up for two coffee cards, so that it is not even set up in your cabin? If so, who would I call?

Thank you.

If you sail b2b cruises near the end of the 1st cruise you can call room service to have them give you the 2 coffee cards which eliminates the wasted time for the exchange. :)

No you call Room Service after reaching your cabin.

Mike:)

Similar experience on the Coral last year. I had actually purchased the coffee card right before going to the IC. The person selling it did not put any information on the back and I didn't check it as I've never been questioned before. I still had the receipt with me. Luckily, I didn't have to trot it out. Many people cheat the system. It just seems awfully rude to be called a liar by staff, especially when one is not.

Yes, even when booking as a longer cruise when it's possible as a b2b we've received 2 minibars. :D

Happened on our 14nt AK cruise when we had 2 cabins...ended up with 4 mini bars unexpectedly...only expected 2 so were quite surprised on turn around day up in Anchorage area...we spent day with family from Anchorage and got on an hour before departure time went to cabin to chill and prep for sail away...much of first week still there plus a whole new one...wow!

For Spring Break once again 2 cabins so 2 mini bar set ups...will trade it around for more of the things I will actually use.

Happened on our 14nt AK cruise when we had 2 cabins...ended up with 4 mini bars unexpectedly...only expected 2 so were quite surprised on turn around day up in Anchorage area...we spent day with family from Anchorage and got on an hour before departure time went to cabin to chill and prep for sail away...much of first week still there plus a whole new one...wow!

For Spring Break once again 2 cabins so 2 mini bar set ups...will trade it around for more of the things I will actually use.

That's great & it's why sometimes we exchange our 2nd elite minibar setup for 2 coffee cards. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 1 month later...

We have about 15 of those little bottles leftover from our last few cruises (I know, we should have enjoyed them on board) and now we are wondering if Princess would allow us to bring them back on board for our next cruise.

We do know the policy regarding bringing alcohol on board but we are merely bringing back what was gifted to us :D. If we could bring them back we like to swap our bar set-up for 2 coffee cards.

Any thought on this, anybody done this?

Theo

We have about 15 of those little bottles leftover from our last few cruises (I know, we should have enjoyed them on board) and now we are wondering if Princess would allow us to bring them back on board for our next cruise.

We do know the policy regarding bringing alcohol on board but we are merely bringing back what was gifted to us :D. If we could bring them back we like to swap our bar set-up for 2 coffee cards.

Any thought on this, anybody done this?

Theo

It doesn't sound likely since people would just go and buy setups at home to bring with them just to get exchanges for coffee cards.

If they do allow it be sure to post the outcome. It sounds interesting. :D

OK, I'm confused! This is my first cruise with Princess. We have a mini suite. The mini bar cost is included in my cruise cost. So I'm charged whether I use it or not? Not charged extra if I drink all of it?

OK, I'm confused! This is my first cruise with Princess. We have a mini suite. The mini bar cost is included in my cruise cost. So I'm charged whether I use it or not? Not charged extra if I drink all of it?

Unless you are Elite there is no included mini bar other then a "full suite".

Minis don't count.

The swap for coffee cards is the entire mini bar--not just the liquor. That's an awful lot of weight to carry on board, plus you're not likely to get the liquor and beer past security. The water and soft drinks would be fine.