Rebooked our Cruise in USD$

bugsy1968

Hi All,

I just wanted ti share something that may be of interest to my fellow Canadian Cruisers.

We had booked our Summer Med cruise on the Grand back in December in Canadian $ but with the recent jump in the currencies value and it's proximity to Par with the USD$, I cancelled our booking today and rebooked it and was able to save over $320.00 per person because Princess's exchange rate was not reflective of the recent changes.

We got the same cabin and everything but managed to save quite a bit by changing the booking. Because we were not into final payment, they refunded our original deposit and charged us the new depsoit today.

:eek:

Hi All,

I just wanted ti share something that may be of interest to my fellow Canadian Cruisers.

We had booked our Summer Med cruise on the Grand back in December in Canadian $ but with the recent jump in the currencies value and it's proximity to Par with the USD$, I cancelled our booking today and rebooked it and was able to save over $320.00 per person because Princess's exchange rate was not reflective of the recent changes.

We got the same cabin and everything but managed to save quite a bit by changing the booking. Because we were not into final payment, they refunded our original deposit and charged us the new depsoit today.

I always book my Princess in USD plus I use a USD credit card which saves as

well. That is a nice savings at $320 each congratulations:)

Bugsy- how did you book/cancel? Through your TA or with Princess? I hadn't ever thought of booking in USD (I'm from Winnipeg), but that does make sense if the dollar stays where it is. We're looking at planning a Scandinavian crusie next summer about would certainly want to save any money possible.

Thanks for the great tip!

Bugsy- how did you book/cancel? Through your TA or with Princess? I hadn't ever thought of booking in USD (I'm from Winnipeg), but that does make sense if the dollar stays where it is. We're looking at planning a Scandinavian crusie next summer about would certainly want to save any money possible.

Thanks for the great tip!

We had booked in December during a cruise sale and just paid a small deposit which was 100% refundable before final payment date so when I saw the price difference between CDN and USD, I called and had the agent rebook me first at the USD rate and then cancel the original booking. We will have both deposit on our card for a couple of weeks, but the savings was well worth it.

Have a great cruise!

We were just on the Emerald and the Future Cruise rep told us that it is the better way to go, you end up saving money. We also took our future cruise credits in US dollars. We just happen to have a US account so now with our dollar getting stronger, it is time to put some away.

hi, we just did the same thing on our upcoming SE Asia cruise originally booked in cnd and just changed to us. we saved over $600. I think from now on we will just book in US. :D

Some TA's will try to tell you that you can't get the USD price. Or they'll try to tell you that the price is, say $1200 CDN, and if you want it in USD, then it's $1180, reflecting the current exchange rate on the $1200 CDN. Sometimes it's hard to get the US price using the cruiseline website, since it detects your location, so I usually register on one of those sites where you submit your info and several travel agents send you quotes. Those are always in USD, so I can get a feel for where the US rates are at before contacting my TA.

Not sure what Princess is charging as an exchange rate now, but my recent booking with RCI quoted me 25% higher in CDN on their website than what my TA got me in USD.

Hi All,

Good for you. Enjoy your cruise.....:):):)

Bob

I just called Princess. They are using $1.01 exchange rate for 2010.

That may be for charges to your credit card once onboard etc.... but not for the cruise itself. I just priced out a 10 day cruise Nov 18th thru Princess (Cdn$) and one of the agencies listed here on Cruise Critic (US$)

Prices.... 1703 Cdn$ - 1469 US$. Definitely more than 1% !!

I just called Princess. They are using $1.01 exchange rate for 2010.

We were told the Princess uses an annual running average for CDN/US conversions and to date that number would be too low. We have always purchased our cruises and paid our ship board account with a US currency card as we were able to find US dollars at an exchange rate better than what Princess had offered. But things are changing by the hour these days.

Please do not take this the wrong way folks but if and when the CDN dollar exceeds the value of the US and we are able to purchase our cruise at a lower price because of it, remember there were days when we had to and did pay 20-30-40% premiums to sail with you.

I have a US$ account and US credit card. We have always booked in US and at I buy US $ on a monthly basis to offset the cost. This way we don't get "surprised" when we receive our Canadian $ credit card statment.:eek:

That may be for charges to your credit card once onboard etc.... but not for the cruise itself. I just priced out a 10 day cruise Nov 18th thru Princess (Cdn$) and one of the agencies listed here on Cruise Critic (US$)

Prices.... 1703 Cdn$ - 1469 US$. Definitely more than 1% !!

It was for the cruise itself. I have a cruise booked in CDN$ for July, past passenger for a BA CDN $2,088 and US $1,899. The agent said the exchange rate was $1.01 for 2010/11 cruises.

It was for the cruise itself. I have a cruise booked in CDN$ for July, past passenger for a BA CDN $2,088 and US $1,899. The agent said the exchange rate was $1.01 for 2010/11 cruises.

I think agent may have misinformed you as when I look at the various rates, it looks like the exchange rate is closer to 10% difference. Maybe 2011 cruises are being quoted at the lower exchange, but cruises for 2010 are at a higher rate.

One of the other posters mentioned that Princess sets their rate well in advance which is also what I had been told so even though the currecny is higher now, it wasn't several months ago when they originally set their rate.

I guess the point is that it's worth checking both rates to see what is most advantageous.

Happy Cruising!:D

A one percent exchange rate on a US dollar cruise of $1,899. would only be $19. We believe you are looking at 10% premium. This morning exchange rate at the banks is running about 2.3%.

The issue for Canadians booking a year to 18 months out in $US is if the $CDN drops. I got caught on this in October '08 when the $CDN had turtled and our Panama cruise was going to cost us about $1,000 more than planned because we had booked in $US. As it turned out our TA did some fancy foot work with Princess and got it re-repriced and it only cost us $800 more than planned.:eek: So for short term bookings $US is likely the way to go but if your are booking cruises that are out a bit then you may just want to think about it a bit.

We always make our FCC deposits in US $, and when we go to book the US rate is always much more advantageous than the Canadain rate that Princess offers. We have 3 cruises booked at present, all were quoted at about a 10% premium of US over Canadian, and even through Amex credit card exchange rates, we have never paid over a 5% premium when we made the final payment-it is even much better now.

It is understandable that Princess needs to select an exchange rate when they set prices for an upcoming season, and when the Cdn. $ appreciattes as quickly as it has, the Canadian brochure rates will be out of touch with reality, but you would think that for immediate pricing on their website they could be more reactive. As was mentioned previously, if you have a Canadian web address, you can't even get the US $ quote, and so I think many Canadians are not even aware of how much they can save by going the US $ route, they have to ask their TA to compare.

As an aside the rate disadvantage only goes one way. When we were on a cruise in 2007, the last time the Canadian $ rapidly appreciated ,and in fact was above par with the US $, I asked the pursers desk what exchange rate the were offering to sell US$ for Cnd-he said 14% premium!!, which had been Princess's rate for bookings that year. When I offered to buy any Cnd $ they had for only a 10% discount, they wouldn't do it.:(

As was mentioned previously, if you have a Canadian web address, you can't even get the US $ quote, and so I think many Canadians are not even aware of how much they can save by going the US $ route, they have to ask their TA to compare.

Not quite accurate - if you go to any of the travel agencies that Cruise Critic suggests and make sure the url is dot com - not dot ca - then you will get US pricing.

I agree that Princess's web site could be more sensitive to dollar fluctuations.

Not quite accurate - if you go to any of the travel agencies that Cruise Critic suggests and make sure the url is dot com - not dot ca - then you will get US pricing.

I agree that Princess's web site could be more sensitive to dollar fluctuations.

Sorry, I wasn't accurate in what I meant to say-you can't get US $ quote on Princess website if you have a Canadian email address.

Yes, our Canadian dollar is doing well. Expected to hit par this weekend.

We may reach $1.05 and remain so for the next few years. It will be a nice change to be able to purchase American $$ and not have to pay outrageous exchange rates.

It is too bad that Princess does not apply the going rate. They set a standard and stick to it no matter what the fluctuation of the dollar is.

Congrats on your savings!

Archived