Does the Negativity Crush You?

sail7seas

Plus ca change, plus ca reste la meme chose....The more things change, the more they remain the same.....

I don't think this forum is any more or less divisive and negative than any other human community.

My advice (fwiw): Read what's helpful, ignore what's not, and don't let life in this little virtual village distract you from what is real.

For a trip down memory lane, here's a thread started by EKerr19, almost six years ago. Notice any similarities?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=46441&highlight=negativity

When I get saturated by negativity, especially the chirping in from people making fun of the OP or at least the OP's words, and get totally off subject, I just go to the boards for a cruise line I've cruised previously. And that's what I'm doing today!

When my mind has cleared of any emotion, I'll return to find out what's happening back at NCL, which is my next cruise.

Why NCL you might ask. My DH won't dress up, and they do not require it. So if he's going with me it's NCL or nothing. If my DD is going with me it's usually X or HAL because we do like to dress up and we both enjoy good food.

The HAL board is one of the most respectful of all, and it is a pleasure to come over here!

I have been reading these boards for the past 4 years or so--since I started cruising. They have been extremely helpful in the preparation for each cruise event that I had no idea of what to expect. :rolleyes:

What I have noticed lately is the many harsh responses to posters for little to no reason other than to hear themselves rant. That seems unnecessary. :(

Plus ca change, plus ca reste la meme chose....The more things change, the more they remain the same.....

I don't think this forum is any more or less divisive and negative than any other human community.

My advice (fwiw): Read what's helpful, ignore what's not, and don't let life in this little virtual village distract you from what is real.

I thought this was very sound advice...and for the most part find these boards to be more helpful than harmful.

I have gained a lot of consumer knowledge just reading, asking questions, and then checking the answers with the people I am going to purchase from..Being an informed consumer IMO, is a good thing...a single post in this web site recently saved me from having a disappointing cruise on another line..and thus I found HAL, and from all I can see and read is a company that cares about its passengers, and providing the best cruise experience for a reasonable price...that is good business..does sh#$ happen sure it does, and then there are places in all companies to address those complaints...

There are even times when I'm reading someone rant about something, and you can feel the tension they feel , that I am glad these boards are here so they can vent and hopefully let it go after that...

I have yet to have my first HAL cruise experience, but not one ounce of negativity that I would read here or any other web site would alter my mindset..that opinion will be formed by HAL and HAL alone once I sail...

Some people are just never satisfied most of the time. Unfortunately, most of them come to this forum to vent their dissatisfaction.

That's the name of the game for many people.

Those individuals have an agenda, and they won't stop until they get what they want.

I think the tenor of this board has improved noticeably in the last few days.

I don't usually find this board to be especially negative, nor do I find the vast majority of posters here to be negative. Each experience, be it onboard a ship or in "boardie land" is individual, and we each filter things differently.

Some people seem unwilling to admit that anything goes wrong, which IMHO is the opposite side of the coin of nothing going right. Each is unbelievable.

What bothers me more than posts at each end of the positive/negative spectrum is those posters who grab one line out of a post, make a scene about it, and turn an entire thread into "all about them" or "all about their personal agenda". That kind of inanity and attention-mongering are totally counter-productive to any kind of learning opportunities or exchange of information. Fortunately we don't see much of that here.

For a trip down memory lane, here's a thread started by EKerr19, almost six years ago. Notice any similarities?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=46441&highlight=negativity

I agree with both you ladies 100%. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I have to disagree with this statement. I think it is reasonable to assume that your cabin will have an operating air conditioning system. Yes, I realize that things do happen from time to time, and mechanical systems can fail. What I do object to is being told day after day that "the problem will be fixed today," and then that does not happen. We went 19 days without A/C on the Rotterdam in the South Pacific until we got moved to a vacated cabin where the air conditioning was working. Sorry, but I feel that being in an extremely uncomfortable cabin for more than half of your cruise is unacceptable.

PCruzer I totally agree with what you said .I have asked on this thread several times the current mechanical condition of Rotterdam. What I get from some posters is a rah rah Holland America .Are these people employeed by HAL ?? All we want is the truth . So I had phoned HAL & they told me all is OK with the Rotterdam & that is a dam lie . Well ,we are booked on a 4 night cruise in May & should I find that there are still those same mechanical problems then we will have major issues with their management on land .

I get tired of negativity, but it doesn't "bother" me. As already pointed out, some folks are just inclined to be grousers. If you gave them a hundred dollar bill they'd complain that they had to take it to the bank to get change because their favorite store won't take large bills. I just bypass these posts as soon as their tone turns ugly.

Since you directed your post to me, I wasn't the one who brought up a poor cut of meat to begin with, another poster did. I simply was replying to that other post where "poor meat" was used as an example. Neither DH nor I have ever complained to anyone in the dining room about the food nor sent anything back as being poor quality, even if it has been. In fact we were upgraded to the Penthouse on one occasion during a cruise because we had been the only ones not to complain about a "situation" on a cruise and because we had been so nice throughout. I have nothing to "let go". But to state only positives is not doing a favor to anyone reading this board for information.

I'm sorry for thinking it was you that had the steak problem!! It was not meant as a finger pointing but only as an example.

Please accept my apology as it is intended, in very good faith for my having misinterpreted your statement.

I think this just goes to show how we all tend to pick up on one statement and the fight begins:(

Joanie

I've been on these boards off and on for about six years especially when we sign up for our next cruise. Negativity has consistent on every thread whether it be Princess, RCCL, Carnival, NCL, or Holland America. I feel for those who find fault with everything. We are taking our 10th cruise in May and seriously, every cruise has been wonderful. We choose to not make a big deal when things go wrong.

It does amaze me when folks take the same cruise line year after year and then choose to post so many negative comments.

And for all of you who are mostly positive in nature (and for you negative folks) - Have a great next cruise!

I totally understand what you are saying, but a poor cut of meat is still a poor cut of meat when we have paid for a decent cut of meat at the very least. I feel very fortunate to be able to vacation and cruise and thank God for my blessings, but my dollars are precious to me, too. The fact that many others are not lucky enough to be able to be on the ship doesn't change the fact that tough meat is not what we paid for or deserve on a 'premium' cruiseship.

Good post peaches. You really sum up my thoughts. I realize how incredibly fortunate I am not only to cruise, but even just to have the basics of life that so many live without. However, my dollars are precious to me as well. They don't come easy, especially in this economic environment. So when I pay for a certain product that is what I expect. Of course there are appropriate ways to go about expressing disappointment or dissatisfaction. Most of the time I handle it well, occasionally not so well. I keep trying.

cruie4ever:

You ask about the "current mechanical condition" of the Rotterdam.

Sorry, but I really don't understand.

How does the condition right now in March impact on the condition in May when you take your cruise on her? And you phoned HAL, got a thumbs up and say that is a dam lie? Excuse me, but why ask, if you know?

Cruising is a lot like life: no promises. Maybe a prop will fall off the day before you board, maybe the dreaded A/C will go on the fritz one hour before. Sorry, but there really are no guarentees; however, the crew, officers and staff of any and every HAL ship will sincerely work their butts off to make things right. And I don't accept that this sentiment just "HAL Cheerleader" writing.

Negative? Nah....compared to many other message boards and forums, I think the HAL board is quite civilized. But, even the most civilized people have their triggers, and after many years on these boards, you get to know some posters' preferences. Sometimes I read a new post and think to myself: "Uh, oh...wait until so-and-so sees this." Sometimes it turns into a hot topic, sometimes not.

At times I think we all need to remember that there is a difference between a fact and an opinion. I once sat at a table in the dining room with three other couples. One couple thought the food was the worst they had ever eaten on a HAL cruise; one couple thought the food was simply bland; one couple thought the food was good; and the other couple thought the food was excellent. So, in fact, how was the food? It depends.

People go through all kinds of stuff in their lives, and we never know whether some of those sharp comments are coming from a disdain for their cruise or from something else, so I usually don't think much about it unless it goes on ad nauseum. When the boards get to me, I take a break, but most of the time I enjoy them.

But there are always bright stars. Sometimes I am reading through a volatile or touchy thread, and along comes Pipedreams or Copper John or babyher and throws out a comment or a link that makes me laugh out loud. It all evens out in the end.

I don't mind people speaking their minds here at all. If I don't like what I am reading, I skip over it. What I don't like is what one poster already mentioned, and that is one CC'er attacking or giving a "dressing down" to another CC member. I prefer civility.:D

The only negativity that drives me absolutely nuts is actually being on a nice cruise and then having the misfortune of being seated at dinner (fixed seating) with an individual who complains and fusses about the food night after night(or every other night).

On our last cruise, a lady with over 1300 cruise days, would insist almost at every dinner that the dining room steward remove her plate and bring something else for her. Frequently she didn't like the salad and complained about that. Or she didn't think the soup tasted the way she remembered it, so she would refuse that. She complained about this that and every other thing. We were seated at a table for eight and this woman's behavior every night delayed and "spoiled" what should have been a pleasant meal. I especially felt very sorry for our two very sweet dining room servers.

Archived