balcony doors a slammin

cruisun

Has anyone else noticed this noise. I do not understand why people insist on opening the door as far as possible and then let go. I tried to ignore it, even wore my ipod to drown it out at times, but sometimes it just shook the walls of the cabin or the balcony dividers. I laughed to myself and thought of a symphony of slamming doors. I was envious of the other ships with sliding doors. I wish they had the closers for the cabin balcony doors they they have for the doors that go out to open decks like the promenade.

I notice that every cruise. People simply never grasp and close the door. Seems almost everyone lets them slam shut and they make a racket.

Not being mean or nasty here so please no attack or flame.... BUT... Can I be almost to afraid to grasp and close the door now?? I think that may have been what I was attempting to do this past February... Not sure though as memory for those few seconds is still a blank.... :(

But, I am scared of the verandah doors now and will be MUCH more careful when even thinking of using them.

Joanie

Sometimes, a vacuum happens and TAKES the door from you....not everyone is trying to make a fuss!

I was not suggesting that everyone meant to "make a fuss". I get the impression that most people are not aware that they do it, and are not bothered by, or do not even hear the noise that it makes:D

IRL_Joanie........ That was a horrid accident you had but the doors do have handles. Those are pretty large handles and most of us should be able to grasp them most of the time. Sure, once in a while the door can 'get away from you' especially if ship is moving.

Absolutely when the ship is moving, there can be a very strong pull on the door. Those 'slams' are often unavoidable but not when the ship is docked or anchored. I often wish HAL had sliding doors on the veranda vs the pull style.

IRL_Joanie........ That was a horrid accident you had but the doors do have handles. Those are pretty large handles and most of us should be able to grasp them most of the time. Sure, once in a while the door can 'get away from you' especially if ship is moving.

Absolutely when the ship is moving, there can be a very strong pull on the door. Those 'slams' are often unavoidable but not when the ship is docked or anchored. I often wish HAL had sliding doors on the veranda vs the pull style.

Coloring mine.

That sadly happened to us once while we were docked, and it wasn't pretty. :o

I was in my bathrobe in the cabin. Hubby was out on the verandah when we got a knock on our cabin door. I went to get hubby off the verandah to answer the door, but the steward didn't wait and opened the cabin door just as hubby was opening the verandah door to get the cabin door.

Tunnel of wind.

Or as we call it, "The day I managed to flash the Disney Wonder" since that tunnel of wind slammed both doors shut ....... and blew my bathrobe wide open. :eek:

If you were on the Wonder in March 2003 and were docked next to the starboard side of the Zuiderdam in Nassau, my MANY apologies. :o

Not being mean or nasty here so please no attack or flame.... BUT... Can I be almost to afraid to grasp and close the door now?? I think that may have been what I was attempting to do this past February... Not sure though as memory for those few seconds is still a blank.... :(

But, I am scared of the verandah doors now and will be MUCH more careful when even thinking of using them.

Joanie

I remember your accident -- so sad for you.

I have never figured out why HAL doesn't have sliding glass doors like Princess -- they don't slam shut.

yes -- we have been disturbed many times by people letting the verandah doors slam shut.

HMM -- maybe we should keep booking the Penthouse Suites -- those verandah doors to slid open and shut.

On our last cruise on the maasdam we were constantly hearing a door slam to what we thought was an inconsiderate neighbor. Every few minutes and dare I say seconds...the door would slam. We thought it was coming from the penthouse two doors down. My hubby got on his hands and knees and looked under the dividers because it was constantly slamming shut and very annoying. But he couldn't see anyone out on the verandas either direction. It occured to us that it wasn't our neighbors but a door above us....on the Lido deck there is a door that the stewards use to go in and out of the Terrace Grill kitchen. It was all throughout the day and rattled the dividers. We were glad we couldn't here it inside...but it made for a very rough time to snooze on the balcony for a nap (one of my fav things to do!). This went on for the first 4 days of the cruise.

We at one time, in just casual conversation to the concierge in the Neptune Lounge, happen to mention the door and how the noise baffled us to the source until we figured it out. We really were not complaining...we know it would be difficult for something like that to be fix. We actually were laughing at ourselves that it consumed us to find the source for a few hours. I don't know what they did but we heard the door maybe one time since we had talked to the conciege! Made those afternoon naps really great!

So if you are on the side of the ship with the Terrace Grill...maybe its not balcony doors your hearing but service doors? Just a thought...we never did hear any of our neighbors on their verandas and we used our veranda a whole lot!

I just think that some people are naturally noisy and aren't even aware of it. On our last cruise we had those door slammers next to us. Not only did they slam the balcony door, but every time they went in and out, they slammed the cabin door. Our cabin would shudder. Fortunately, they were out and about the ship more than they were in the cabin slamming doors....but when they were around, we knew it.

There are many people who do not grasp the handle and pull doors shut....they just give them a jerk and let them slam. They usually are loud talkers, too.

The slamming doors bother me too. It's unthinkable to me that people just don't think of or care about other people while making noise. If only everyone could be as considerate of others as we all are the world would be a better place. :)

I think I figured out why HAL has the veranda doors that they do. People can't put the air or heat on and then leave their veranda door open, unless they prop it open. Whereas the sliding doors on Princess are easily left open. Just a thought I had and thought that was maybe the thought process behind it.

Joanie, I was so afraid of the doors on our last cruise due to your door accident! I was sure I would do the same thing.

I now use by backside to close the verandah door when coming back into the room. BUT going out I am literally terrified of that door. I know I should not be but....

And then to top it all off, I had to repeatedly tell hubby to get his foot out of the door when he would come back in. He'd leave an ankle exposed to it and that had me scared.

I love the verandahs and the doors, but I know what can happen and it terrifies me to think it could happen again, especially with my luck.

I do my best though at all times to use the handle, but all it takes is that one slip....So I think I tended after wards to avoid the door handle and door frame altogether..... For that I apologize to my fellow cruisers. And I promise to try to not let my fears of a reoccurance of my injury override my usage of the door handle and remembering my fellow passengers.

Joanie

... Or as we call it, "The day I managed to flash the Disney Wonder" since that tunnel of wind slammed both doors shut ....... and blew my bathrobe wide open. :eek:

If you were on the Wonder in March 2003 and were docked next to the starboard side of the Zuiderdam in Nassau, my MANY apologies. :o

Thanks for the best laugh I've had in quite a long time! :D

...........HMM -- maybe we should keep booking the Penthouse Suites -- those verandah doors to slid open and shut.

Yep; doing that is definitely going to stop your neighbors from slamming their balcony doors:cool:

Anybody have any issues with people slamming their cabin doors?

Coloring mine.

That sadly happened to us once while we were docked, and it wasn't pretty. :o

I was in my bathrobe in the cabin. Hubby was out on the verandah when we got a knock on our cabin door. I went to get hubby off the verandah to answer the door, but the steward didn't wait and opened the cabin door just as hubby was opening the verandah door to get the cabin door.

Tunnel of wind.

Or as we call it, "The day I managed to flash the Disney Wonder" since that tunnel of wind slammed both doors shut ....... and blew my bathrobe wide open. :eek:

Was that you!

Yes. :(

Every once in a while I check You Tube for "Whack Job Flashes 4 and 5 Year Olds on Disney Ship."

Let me know if you find it.

That was 7 years ago, and the running joke still remains which ship I'm going to mar for life this cruise.

Moral of the story: Beware the tunnel of wind!!!

Hi

one thing, thats unbelievable for me is the reason why the Cruise lines allow to built in these doors.

On NCL and MSC we had sliding doors - much more comfortable and safer. And these ships were build in different shipyards (NCL Meyer Werft Papenburg, Germany, MSC Opera at Chantiers de l'Atlantique/France)

More quiet and need less space to open.

I cannot understand, why the do not use this sliding doors in new built ships.

Wendy

I will be on the Eurodam this June for the Norwegian Fjiord cruise with my 11 yr old and am concerned with the balcony door. What happened to IRL-Joanie that I should be aware of?

The thing to stress to everyone is NOT to use any body part as a door stop for the verandah doors!!!!

I, unfortunately, for whatever reason, placed my left hand in the door frame with my fingers pointing inside the stateroom while the rest of my body was still outside on the verandah. The verandah doors must weigh at least 300 lbs (at least that is what it felt like to me the instant that door slammed shut) plus they are spring loaded, so they not only shut automatically and VERY HARD but also latch closed (picture slamming a car door on your hand)!!

Luckily, only the middle finger of my left hand was injured, enough that it took 6 stitches to close the laceration that was bone deep from te first knuckle to the tip of the finger. I had fantastic stateroom stewards that reacted quickly and efficiently to the situation (believe me I know!! I am a former EMT/Firefighter and I did not act like one!) and rushed me to the medical center on the Westerdam after calling 911. The ship's passenger doctor was a Trauma Surgeon and was able to take care of me without having to have me evacuated from the ship. As she put it, most injuries such as mine require amputation. I was one of the lucky ones. My finger has healed beautifully, no residual effects, except with cold. No nerve damage as first believed. So all in all, while a traumatic experience, it was also a learning experience for myself and for others who read what happened to me and will avoid it happening again to anyone! (and for once I could literally "Give the Finger" for nearly 2 weeks to everyone and not get beat up:)

No one was at fault except myself for my injury. The ship was at a dead stop, there were no waves, nothing but me....

So the warning is to explain to everyone to keep all body parts out of the door and make sure NOT to hold onto the door frame when either going onto the verandah or entering the stateroom. Make sure they understand to use the door handles and place their hand on the door glass to help close the door.

Doing the above will insure that they will NOT have any problems such as mine.

Your 11 year old will do fine, as will you !!

Joanie

I'm sure the doors have strong self-closing springs to ensure the door is properly closed in the event of bad weather, etc but common sense (and normal hearing) should tell people that the slamming might disturb others in the immediate viscinity. Same applies to cabin doors into corridors. I think it boils down to the fact that people are inconsiderate and don't care if their selfish behaviour affects others. They are on vacation, right?

And let's not even start on the racket of furniture being dragged across verandahs at 3am....... :(

Archived