Sugar free or No sugar added selections??

jbpinkie

A few years ago Mom and I said on the Zaandam and were pleased with the amount of sf or nsa deserts, muffins, cookies etc. Can anyone tell me if they still offer? Also I have heard about the wonderful deserts in the Pinacle and am wondering if they have a revised desert? Mom and I are both diabetic and hoping the offers are still there.

Thanks in advance :) and Happy Easter to all

A few years ago Mom and I said on the Zaandam and were pleased with the amount of sf or nsa deserts, muffins, cookies etc. Can anyone tell me if they still offer? Also I have heard about the wonderful deserts in the Pinacle and am wondering if they have a revised desert? Mom and I are both diabetic and hoping the offers are still there.

Yes there are sugar free & no sugar added deserts . I always get sugar free ice cream

On our last cruise in February, one of our table mates was a diabetic, who would not eat any of the desserts even when I pointed out to him that they were no sugar added and/or sugar free.

His statement explaining his reasons were something to make me stop and think... Just because a menu or whatever says "No Sugar Added" does not mean that there is no sugar in the item. He stated that there is usually sugar in the premixed ingredients and that the statement "No Sugar Added" just means that the chef did not add sugar... As a diabetic, he had to be extremely careful of everything he ate and was not willing to take the chance so his diets were very limited.

So far, I've not had to worry about this problem or concern, but others that do should be careful.

Joanie

with Joanie. SF and NSA means there has to be some sugar in those desserts. I'm also a diabetic and take insulin 4X a day so I will adjust my eating for the day I want a dessert that says SF NSA. I so love the Pinnacle's Creme Brulee but that is loaded with sugar. I will order it once in a while but ask for a very small portion and not the whole dessert which is very generous. I also try and walk a bit after dinner which will help some. It's h-ll being diabetic:( but you have to adjust. :)

Last November was my first cruise as a diabetic and I was amased at the NSA offerrings. a heads up - At the ice cream section on the Lido there was always a NSA flavor but it was never on the sign. I only knew because I asked the first day. I am also a creme brulee fan and went off my diet in the Pinnicle but I do know there was one NSA offering, I just don't know what it was.

They put NSA instead of sugar free because many ingrediants naturally have sugar in them (fruit and milk for example). Restaurants used to advertise sugar free apple pie and that just isn't possible :)

My dear fellow Diabetics:

There are sugar free and NSA desserts. However NSA and Sugar Free are not the same.

The breads are very tempting and you know that Carbohidrates can send the sugar sky high. Eat plenty of greens. Celery is a freebe. Corn is terrible for a diabetic.

Pinnacle Desserts:

The Finale:

Not-So-Classic Baked Alaska, Warm Grand Marnier Chocolate Volcano Cake, Velvet Soufflé – Chocolate or Vanilla, Creamy Homemade Raspberry Cheesecake, Chocolate And Raisin Bread Pudding, Pinnacle Crème Brulee, Fresh Seasonal Fruits and Berries, Premium Ice Cream or Sorbets and/or the Assortment of International Cheeses.

The berries, unless they are dressed in a sugar-laden sauce, should be fine for diabetics. Berries are the lowest gylcemic fruits out there. Adding cream makes them even better as the fat in the cream slows the digestion of what little natural sugars will be in the berries.

The cheesecake would be the second best of the options listed (unless there is an NSA flavor in the ice cream), again due to the slowing effect of the fat content.

Caveat: People respond differently to different food items. I am not saying cheesecake is ok for all diabetics or urging anyone to go off their diets. I am commenting only on the relative glycemic load of the Pinnacle desserts. :)

Also, if you've been on one of the kitchen tours, then you know that the Pinnacle kitchen is connected to the MDR kitchen. Check the MDR menu before you dine at the Pinnacle, and if there is a NSA dessert for the MDR that night, it shouldn't be a problem to bring it to you in the Pinnacle. Simply tell your waiter you can't have sugar and would he kindly bring item X from the MDR.

My dear fellow Diabetics:

There are sugar free and NSA desserts. However NSA and Sugar Free are not the same.

The breads are very tempting and you know that Carbohidrates can send the sugar sky high. Eat plenty of greens. Celery is a freebe. Corn is terrible for a diabetic.

I don't eat much bread but when I do I eat Healthy Life, no sugar, made with a sugar sub and low carbs. Last night had a small portion of pasta and oh boy did my sugar go up this morning. Pasta is a no no. I do eat lots of salads and especially when I'm hungry late at night. I put a vinegar and sugar sub dressing on it. On my next cruise I'm going to see if they will give me red wine vineger so I can mix my own or otherwise I will be tempted by the blue cheese. If not I'll bring my own premixed. Sometimes the berries raise my sugar. It's really a trial and error to find out what is best for you. Of course I'm on Predisone, can't wait to get off of that, that raises the sugars also.:(

The only consistent thing about this disease is that each person reacts differently to the foods they eat. What works for one does not necessarily work for another. I avoid the potatoes, rice, pasta, bread and desserts. Fruit has to be in very limited doses. Mostly, I go for the non starchy vegetables and lean protein.

That is one reason I liked eating in the Lido. I could easily bypass the potatoes, rice and pasta and get a generous serving of the vegetable. It was harder to do in the MDR.

SF or NSA desserts don't work for me. They can still contain a large amount of carbohydarates and that is what raises my blood sugar, so I tend to stay away from them. If I do treat myself, I try to make up for it with a few laps on the promenade and by using the stairs instead of the elevators.

On Noordam in March I found only "no sugar added" desserts . Last year on Eurodam there

were a number of "sugar free" desserts , in the top of the dessert case at the lido.

I am a type 2 diabetic and "no sugar added" doesn't mean it is a dessert I should have.

Sugar free , and natural fruit sugars are fine in moderation.

Does anyone know if in the No Sugar Added desserts they add an artificial sweetener instead?

I have no problem with the brands of sweeteners you add to your coffee, but there is one substance -- I can't remember its name -- that is used in some "sugar-free" packaged candy and cake products that can wreck havoc in the intestines for some of us!

Does anyone know if in the No Sugar Added desserts they add an artificial sweetener instead?

I have no problem with the brands of sweeteners you add to your coffee, but there is one substance -- I can't remember its name -- that is used in some "sugar-free" packaged candy and cake products that can wreck havoc in the intestines for some of us!

Sorbitol (same thing found in sugar-free gum).

Yup, lots of the sugar alcohols do that to people - sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol, maltitol - basically anything that ends with -ol. Alas, I do not know if they are in the NSA desserts or not.

Maybe HAL should develop its own artificial sweetener. They could call it...

...wait for it...

DAM-itol!

Yup, lots of the sugar alcohols do that to people - sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol, maltitol - basically anything that ends with -ol. Alas, I do not know if they are in the NSA desserts or not.

Maybe HAL should develop its own artificial sweetener. They could call it...

...wait for it...

DAM-itol!

That is the best pun I've seen in a long time!

:)

The Pinnacle does not offer any sugar free or no sugar added desserts.

In The Pinnacle Grille all you have to do is ask your Waiter for a Sugar Free Dessert or a No Sugar Added Dessert. Tell your Waiter when placing your Order that you are a Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetic and you would like a Sugar Free Dessert and it will be right there at the appropriate time. A Type 2 Diabetic!:)

I don't eat much bread but when I do I eat Healthy Life, no sugar, made with a sugar sub and low carbs. Last night had a small portion of pasta and oh boy did my sugar go up this morning. Pasta is a no no. I do eat lots of salads and especially when I'm hungry late at night. I put a vinegar and sugar sub dressing on it. On my next cruise I'm going to see if they will give me red wine vineger so I can mix my own or otherwise I will be tempted by the blue cheese. If not I'll bring my own premixed. Sometimes the berries raise my sugar. It's really a trial and error to find out what is best for you. Of course I'm on Predisone, can't wait to get off of that, that raises the sugars also.:(

If you like pasta get some Dreamfields pasta. It is low in digestible carbs and high in fiber. All that and it tastes like regular pasta.

If you like pasta get some Dreamfields pasta. It is low in digestible carbs and high in fiber. All that and it tastes like regular pasta.

I'll second that. I'm on Atkins plan (went from 260 to 135 lbs in 11 months and have kept it off for 9 years) and my DH is diabetic so Dreamfields is a staple in our house. When I can't find it in the stores here, I order it online. Too bad HAL doesn't make it available on its "spa menu" but guess we can't have everything.

I'll second that. I'm on Atkins plan (went from 260 to 135 lbs in 11 months and have kept it off for 9 years) and my DH is diabetic so Dreamfields is a staple in our house. When I can't find it in the stores here, I order it online. Too bad HAL doesn't make it available on its "spa menu" but guess we can't have everything.

:confused:What kind of Sauce do you use with your Dreamfields Pasta? All of our 3 Supermarkets used to carry Dreamfields Pasta, but two of them have dropped carrying it. I have experienced a similar weight loss. I have lost 15#'s in 6 months and a Type 2 diabetic! Thanks for your input!:)

The NSA and sugar free items on the ship are great. Why can't I get this stuff at home? I'm not diabetic but am trying to watch my weight. I love the items because I can be guilt free. A good friend of ours is diabetic and I know how difficult it can be to find food that fits into his diet.

:confused:What kind of Sauce do you use with your Dreamfields Pasta? All of our 3 Supermarkets used to carry Dreamfields Pasta, but two of them have dropped carrying it. I have experienced a similar weight loss. I have lost 15#'s in 6 months and a Type 2 diabetic! Thanks for your input!:)

I stocked up on Hunt's No Sugar Added Spaghetti Sauce before it disappeared from our stores. Can't find out if it's still available. When I run out may try making my own. Also use Dreamfields linguine with shrimp scampi and Trader Joe's frozen Scallops & Mushrooms in Cream Sauce. Use the macaroni for mac 'n cheese.

On HAL is so good I can always find good meat dishes - but it would really be great if they offered Dreamfields on the spa menu.

Keep up the good work. Have you visited the Atkins thread on the Lose Before You Cruise Message board?

Archived