worth the money?

smudgie

I have read about the area on the ship where there are no children please dont get me wrong love kids, just wanted some time alone hahahah

what is it called, who do you talk to about saving a chair in this area....

and is it worth the 20.00 a day?

It is called the Sanctaury - value for day pass depends on your tastes. You cannot reserve in advance, only once on board ship. For a day pass, you need to present yourself at the booking table just outside the Sanctuary entrance and see if availability remains for a whole day or 1/2 day. For day passes, you can only book the day you want to use the Sanctuary - no booking in advance on day 1 of cruise to use Sanctuary on Day 4 for example. Our on past cruise in December, on sea days, Sanctuary day passes were sold by 7:40 am and sales started at 7:30 am. Only the first few people in line got them.

If you are interested in a week-long pass, they sell those on board the first day only - usually sold out of available week-long spaces by sailaway time. I believe a week-long pass is priced at $15/day.

Hope this helps.

We just sailed and signed up for the sanctuary and spa sauna package the first day on board and it was great! my husband used it every day and enjoyed the various saunas they had. Mild, regular, and aroma too with these warm lounge beds too! very nice and they only sell a small number of them, so go there first thing and sign up and get a tour.

:)

do you have to pay for anything while you are in there...I know drinks, but anything else?

When I was on the Coral There was a health food menu you could order off of it was free but they had a very small delivery charge. They also have free flavored water -cucumber and I forget the other:confused: They only had two. I found the sanctuary to be well worth the $$$

I am not sure if there is some confusion on this thread with regards to the Sanctuary vs. Thermal Suite area. Thermal suite area requires purchase of a weekly pass from the spa - it was $79 per person I believe but we last did this about 5 years ago. Thermal suite contains various hot and cool steam and aromatherapy rooms, heated tile loungers and scented showers. Nice but an indoor area. More of a spa experience.

Sanctuary is described on Princess.com as:

The Sanctuary offers a relaxing alternative to the myriad outdoor activities and entertainment available elsewhere.

The Sanctuary offers a relaxing alternative to the myriad outdoor activities and entertainment available elsewhere throughout the ship. Solitude seekers will be able to escape completely to this plush, outdoor spa-inspired setting with signature beverages, light meals, massages, attentive service and relaxing personal entertainment.

The presence of Serenity Stewards in The Sanctuary underscores the atmosphere of tranquility and service, offering a respite for relaxation. These stewards are on hand to provide passengers with everything from a chilled face towel and Evian water atomizers, to a menu of healthy beverages and fare. Serenity Stewards will also have personal MP3 players with noise canceling headphones available for rent, loaded with themed playlists focused on relaxation for those who want to escape with music.

The Sanctuary will also feature outdoor private cabanas where guests can also take advantage of the exclusive Lotus Spa Services at The Sanctuary, including sybaritic favorites such as a Deep Tissue Muscle Massage, a relaxing Swedish Massage or a Full Body Lotus Massage especially for couples. Shorter interludes of massage pampering will also be available as massage therapists will offer back, shoulder, and neck massages using special massage chairs.

When not indulging in spa services, Sanctuary guests lounge amidst lush greenery, with the presence of gentle breezes, ocean waves, and softly piped-in spa music combining to further insulate the area with relaxation sounds. Guests will relax on plush outdoor furniture including double loungers for couples, as well as deluxe chaise lounges and chairs.

And for those looking for a relaxing end to their day, sunset yoga sessions offer the opportunity to unwind and tone their muscles accompanied by nature's beauty.

Guests can also refresh with a variety of special drinks and snacks created exclusively for The Sanctuary. Each day Serenity Stewards will be on hand to offer guests an array of drinks and snacks. Signature Sanctuary beverages include healthy smoothies, energy drinks, iced flavored waters and freshly made lemonade. A menu featuring a selection of light bites such as refreshing fruit skewers and lettuce wrapped spring rolls will also be available through the Serenity Stewards.

I book the "sanctuary" every single cruise - my own private balcony!! :)

Seriously, if there are people who book inside rooms and then the Sanctuary every day........you probably could have booked a balcony........just food for thought. I have never used the real Sanctuary myself......

Is it safe to assume if you pay for access to this area that you have a reasonable expectation to find a lounge chair to use? Do they allow people to reserve chairs with towels and books, then leave for long periods of time? It would be crummy to pay a premium, then not be able to use it because all the chairs are taken.

Also, do people seem to respect the "quiet" part of the quiet, relaxing sanctuary? I ask because sometimes in a spa relaxation room or on RCCL's solarium pool area, people hold long, rather loud conversations; which, for me, kind of ruins it.

Thanks for the info.

Is it safe to assume if you pay for access to this area that you have a reasonable expectation to find a lounge chair to use? Do they allow people to reserve chairs with towels and books, then leave for long periods of time? It would be crummy to pay a premium, then not be able to use it because all the chairs are taken.

Also, do people seem to respect the "quiet" part of the quiet, relaxing sanctuary? I ask because sometimes in a spa relaxation room or on RCCL's solarium pool area, people hold long, rather loud conversations; which, for me, kind of ruins it.

Thanks for the info.

They only allow the number of reservations they have loungers for. If you book for the entire cruise, you get to select your lounger (although I have read here that this is not true on the Island); if you book for a day/half-day, you choose from among the unreserved. Some are in shade, some in sun, and I believe the staff (Serenity Attendants!) will move them at your request.

Can't tell you about the quiet as I have yet to try it out myself. Maybe on the next one . . .

We booked the Sanctuary on our first Princess cruise for the entire (10 day) cruise. There are three of us that travel together so the balcony can get tight. Sanctuary was perfect. It was quiet, we had our own reserved loungers and were provided with fresh towels, flavored water and a peaceful place to relax whenever we wanted to.

We thought it was well worth money and will be booking this for our next cruise in June.

It's really a personal choice - some don't see the need to spend extra money for a quiet place when you can find quiet places throughout the ship. We like knowing where our quiet place is at all times!

There are other adults-only areas you can enjoy free. We like the spa pool area. It is the deck below the Sanctuary. A lot of folks never find it. There is also the terrace pool. We have enjoyed that on the Grand-class ships--where the shopping cart handle going up to Skywalkers provides some shade part of the day.

I had not heard that - if you book for the entire cruise you reserve a specific lounge chair in a specific location that no one else uses? Wow. That would seem worth the investment. I wonder why they don't mention that on the website? We're on the Emerald for 10 days in October (1st no kid vacation in 8 years...). $150 for a reserved seat in a quite, relaxing place on the ship sounds good to me. What are the hours? Is that space used for anything else after Sanctuary is closed? Do you where I can find photos of the area?

Thank you

IT IS WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!! Besides no children, you don't hear the music that they blast at the pools. We reserved for the entire week on the Emerald and it was great. We had the same lounger in the same place for the entire week. The flavored waters are cucumber and an organge/lemon combo. There is a delivery fee for food but the menu is light and good. If you want peace and quiet go for it.

Archived