To the over 50 group - do you still wear sleeveless dresses?

Gingee

If you got the arms for them... go for it.

Then again, I have seen many of women in sleeveless at 50 and older. I think it is just all about confidence and attitude. LOL

I'm near 50 and plan on wearing them. I workout my arms just for this reason. LOL

I'm 56. I'm more likely to wear almost anything more revealing now, than I was 15 or more years ago. No thinner, no heavier, just more confident.

And the way I figure it, in another 15-20 years, what I look like now is going to look damn fine!

I wasted my "babe" years being too self-conscious.

:rolleyes:

My upper arms are not great, and I went thru a phase where I wouldn't go sleeveless (when I was first adjusting to there being a little "cutlet" under my upper arms). To heck with that :), I'm wearing what I want now, and that includes sleeveless dresses.

I'm 56. I'm more likely to wear almost anything more revealing now, than I was 15 or more years ago. No thinner, no heavier, just more confident.

And the way I figure it, in another 15-20 years, what I look like now is going to look damn fine!

I love this!!! Me too!!!:D

I am 55 and I just bought two sleeveless dresses and I wondering if I shouldn't be wearing them at my age. Do you still wear sleeveless?

Wear what you feel comfy wearing!! There are no "standards" these days,just use common sense..We are doing the dream for sons wedding (on the beach in st thomas) I am bringing sleeveless dresses, but also shrugs to go along as I feel more comfy that way and on the ship many times it gets chilly :)

I'm more likely to wear almost anything more revealing now, than I was 15 or more years ago. No thinner, no heavier, just more confident.

oh MEEE TOOOOO!!!!

i wear sleeveless, lowcut and FEEL GOOD....sometimes i do need the 'wrap' and always have something with me...but seems like thats all i am buying now are the sleeveless---always in the CRUISE MODE when it comes to buying!!!--i have over bought for my dec cruise...i NEED another week to wear EVERYTHING:D

I'm past the 50s and don't think about it, but on the other hand, generally wear a short sleeve sweater over them. So I guess maybe you are a decade too young. I don't think I ever worried about it in my 50s. I have had that "is it too young" thought now on several occasions when looking at clothes. So I guess 60+ is the new 50+.

I am 58 and I say yes! I wear sleeveless all the time. I thing Srlafleur is right on!!! I wear things now I never would have worn when I was younger (and yes, more in shape), but if you feel comfortable in it WEAR IT! I believe in the statement you're not getting older, you'er getting better!!!

Firm up your arms and go sleeveless! I'm 55 and work my upper arms...they look pretty good!

I wear sleeveless shirts, shorter shorts (not "Daisy May's, though) because I have good legs!, and heels all the time!

However, if you don't wear it at home, don't wear it on the ship.....your clothing style shouldn't change just because "no one knows you"!

If you own who you are and are comfortable with yourself, WEAR AWAY!!! Life is waaaay too short to worry about what others think.

As a sidebar...my profile pic is from 3 years ago when I was fit and healthy. Six months after that, my health went south, I wasn't able to work out at all, let alone the 6-7 days a week I had been and I gained a significant amount of weight. I am so greatful to be mobile and getting my health back that I just don't care what others think. My DH is happy with me and so am I. For me, that's all that counts.:p

HAPPY CRUISING!!!

Firm up your arms and go sleeveless! I'm 55 and work my upper arms...they look pretty good!

I'm nearing 67 pretty fast. Maybe it is just me, but it isn't a matter of toned arms, if you mean by that lots of exercise to firm up underlying muscles. My arm problem would be skin texture. No amount of biceps and triceps curls will change the crinkly "grandma" texture of my skin. No amount of skin lotions will either.

I tanned too much in my early teens and seldom at all since, but the sun has done its damage. The crinkly skin on my arms is the reason I don't wear sleeveless tops. Many women here in the 80s and older do wear sleeveless tops here in Florida's humid steambath summers. Maybe by the time I am 80 I will too. Right now, though, I am too self-conscious about my damaged skin to wear sleeveless tops.

love my eehhh nice cleavedge, but not my past the speed limit "wings". Some one would need to be suffering from shock for me to take off my shirt/coverup to offer them warmth..but then..they'd die of shock when they saw them! But now 17 pounds lighter than this time last month ..some of my gowny things are looser where my wings attatch, and I'm loosing a size...yippeeeee...20 cruzin daze coming up mid May, so get ready HAL world...lucky's headed across the pond!..Beware Costa Italians!

I've lost a bunch of weight, and I wear a size 8-10. I do weight lifting every other day, but my upper arms still have those awful wings. So, at 60, I won't wear anything sleeveless--or cap sleeves or really short sleeves. If I had toned arms, I'd wear sleeveless, regardless of my age.

Well I showed the two dresses (on me) to my husband tonight and he thought I was basically being silly about the sleeveless thing. Now for the shorts, well definitely not short like they use to be. No matter what I do, my top legs are cottage cheese. LOL But I will wear a swimsuit on the cruise ship. Just bought a coverup. Also for the ports the coverup should come in handy. We have a pool in our backyard and I don't care about wearing in the suit in the back because basically no one sees me. LOL

I'm past 50; I'm past 60; and I'm slightly past 70. Do I wear sleeveless???? You bet I do! Are my arms wonderful???? Heck no!:)

I'm old enough to realize people spend too much time worrying about a clean house (I still do, though!) or worrying about what other people think of how they look. Neat, clean, properly dressed (even sleeveless when your arms still wave after you've finished waving) are important in my estimation.

i totally agree i wasted too many years living my life to make everyone else happy and me miserable. ive not only bought a sleeveless for my upcoming cruise but a one shoulder strap and heaven forbid a bikini ( a larger brief more generous top one but hey its a bikini)i havent been out of a tankini or one piece for years but having seen some of the sights i saw on my last cruise(lets just say people over the age of 80 should not be in bikinis or budgie smugglers) i reckon i will look ok.as long as im happy and hubby approves who cares.

I'm past 50; I'm past 60; and I'm slightly past 70. Do I wear sleeveless???? You bet I do! Are my arms wonderful???? Heck no!:)

I'm old enough to realize people spend too much time worrying about a clean house (I still do, though!) or worrying about what other people think of how they look. Neat, clean, properly dressed (even sleeveless when your arms still wave after you've finished waving) are important in my estimation.

in 4 more years...I'll join you!

If you are going to be self-conscious about being sleeveless, then I suggest you bring dresses with short sleeves or wear a shawl -- nothing is worth spoiling your fun. But if you don't care, no-one else will. As a previous poster said, you will see everything on board, including significantly more outlandish sights than over-50 women in sleeveless dresses.

Archived