How many Lifeboats on Oasis?

Jimbo

One never knows when an emergency situation is going to happen resulting in the need for lifeboats. Telling someone not to worry about their safetly is not smart. People on the Titanic were told that the ship was unsinkable and we all know what happened.

It may not be smart to tell someone not to worry about their safety, but neither is it sensible to become so fixated on safety that one cannot relax and enjoy their cruise. There is a big difference between being smart and aware of safety issues and being obsessed. To borrow from your analogy: Had the Titanic been properly equipped with the necessary number of lifeboats for its passengers and crew the tragedy might not have been as substantial as it was. Today's cruise ships have a far better safety record and much more attention has been paid to insuring the safety of passengers and crew.:)

I have a few questions:

1) Will they be checking for alcohol when we get on the lifeboats?

2) Do you think they'll find my rumrunners?

3) If the ship sinks on formal night and I'm not wearing a tux will I be turned away from the life boat?

4) Which side of the lifeboat is the smoking side?

Thanks

It may not be smart to tell someone not to worry about their safety, but neither is it sensible to become so fixated on safety that one cannot relax and enjoy their cruise. There is a big difference between being smart and aware of safety issues and being obsessed. To borrow from your analogy: Had the Titanic been properly equipped with the necessary number of lifeboats for its passengers and crew the tragedy might not have been as substantial as it was. Today's cruise ships have a far better safety record and much more attention has been paid to insuring the safety of passengers and crew.:)

You're 100% correct about the Titanic but again, people have a right to ask the questions. Doesn't mean that they are worrying but we all know that there is a first time for everything and we all also know that no ships the size of a Voyager, Freedom or Oasis has ever had an emergency in the middle of the sea where they have had to abandon ship and I pray that it never happens. We really do not know what the outcome would be.

You're 100% correct about the Titanic but again, people have a right to ask the questions. Doesn't mean that they are worrying but we all know that there is a first time for everything and we all also know that no ships the size of a Voyager, Freedom or Oasis has ever had an emergency in the middle of the sea where they have had to abandon ship and I pray that it never happens. We really do not know what the outcome would be.

Sorry I asked the question, I'm not sitting around the house worrying about it. Just thought sure looks like alot a ship and not many life boats for all those people.

Maybe the moderators should lock this thread before things get ugly.

Jimbo:)

Just thought sure looks like alot a ship and not many life boats for all those people.

Truth is, modern day cruise ships can evacuate 100% of the crew and passengers from only one side of the ship if absolutely necessary. The life boats are accompanied by numerous high capacity life rafts that are in the white cannisters and inflate when rolled overboard. Unfortunately, this means many people will have to get wet, but that's why you wear life jackets with strobe lights and whistles. Had an evacuation been called during the Star Princess fire, it would have had to have been from only one side.

Your question was good. It's only prudent to be aware of your surroundings and all safety precautions, no matter how unlikely it may seem.

Sorry I asked the question, I'm not sitting around the house worrying about it. Just thought sure looks like alot a ship and not many life boats for all those people.

Maybe the moderators should lock this thread before things get ugly.

No need to be sorry. Everyone has questions.

the lifeboats on the oasis seem to be bigger and look a little more "advanced" than other ships. they fit a lot of people in each one to accommodate the entire ship. does anyone know the details of each lifeboat? amount of fuel gallons, size and horsepower of engines, etc

The Oasis "lifeboats" are much larger and very modern. If fact they are called Rescue Vessels rather than lifeboats.

Here is some very interesting info:

Th Oasis of the Seas is equipped with eighteen of Schat-Harding’s unique, 370-person CRV55 lifeboats. What makes them unique is the fact they are the only pure rescue craft with a catamaran hull. These boats are launched from the massive ship directly from the stowed position, so no outswing is needed. The CRV55 boat is 16.7 m long and 5.6 m wide. Built from Fibreglass Reinforced Polyester using a vacuum technique, the boat weighs 16 tons in its stowed condition and 44 tons when fully loaded. Two 70 HP diesel engines give the boat a speed of 6 knots, and the catamaran hull and twin rudders provide excellent maneuvrability. It is also the first rescue craft to have a toilet. They will also be easier to get away from the ship, because the davit does not have to move, and they will be safer once in the sea as they have twin engines and full built-in buoyancy. They fully meet all SOLAS requirements.

Picture Link: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rescue_Vessel_on_Oasis_of_the_Seas.jpg

All info gleaned from sources.

-----------------------

Sea ya!

Hobiecat01

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

Proud RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

We are proud Oasis Camel Cruiser – April 17, 2010

The Oasis Camels Website

Previous Cruises – 59 Days at Sea!

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Booked & Paid Cruises

RCCL Oasis of the Seas – Our Friends Cruise - April 17, 2010

Planned Cruises

RCCL Allure of the Seas – Our Neighborhood Cruise - 2011

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day – 2012?

The Med – 14 day – 2013?

Truth is, modern day cruise ships can evacuate 100% of the crew and passengers from only one side of the ship if absolutely necessary. The life boats are accompanied by numerous high capacity life rafts that are in the white cannisters and inflate when rolled overboard. Unfortunately, this means many people will have to get wet, but that's why you wear life jackets with strobe lights and whistles. Had an evacuation been called during the Star Princess fire, it would have had to have been from only one side.

Your question was good. It's only prudent to be aware of your surroundings and all safety precautions, no matter how unlikely it may seem.

That's the point that most seem to forget for some reason. If the ship is sinking they could evacuate everyone twice because of the one side law. According to Captain Wright they have overly compensated for the missing two lifeboats because they knew all the questions it was going to cause. As a result she has more than enough lifeboats and will have a lot of extra room once the newly designed uni-hull lifeboats are done and installed.

Check out his explanation during the Captain's Corner at 1:55 in this video: Part8:

I have a few questions:

3) If the ship sinks on formal night and I'm not wearing a tux will I be turned away from the life boat?

Thanks

You sir have a great sense of humor, and for that I wish you were going to be on our Oasis sailing so that we could bring the above questions to random RCCL employees (with rumrunners filled with alcohol in hand of course).

One never knows when an emergency situation is going to happen resulting in the need for lifeboats. Telling someone not to worry about their safetly is not smart. People on the Titanic were told that the ship was unsinkable and we all know what happened.

A tragedy like the Titanic can never happen to the Oasis and here are a few reasons why:

1) Most people who died did not drown, they froze to death (hypothermia) in the below-freezing water. Luckily, the Oasis sails in the tropical Caribbean waters :D nice and toasty so no need to worry about that.

2) The Titanic happened nearly a century ago. Now cruise ships are on autopilot 99% of the time, so no room for human error except in docking. Plus the Titanic's watertight doors failed because the iceberg tore an immense hole. (There are no icebergs in the Caribbean waters either).

Unless a meteor pops out of the sky and rips a hole in the Oasis (which has an even lower probability of happening than winning the lottery plus getting struck by lightning at the same time).

• 1 year later...
A tragedy like the Titanic can never happen to the Oasis and here are a few reasons why:

1) Most people who died did not drown, they froze to death (hypothermia) in the below-freezing water. Luckily, the Oasis sails in the tropical Caribbean waters :D nice and toasty so no need to worry about that.

2) The Titanic happened nearly a century ago. Now cruise ships are on autopilot 99% of the time, so no room for human error except in docking. Plus the Titanic's watertight doors failed because the iceberg tore an immense hole. (There are no icebergs in the Caribbean waters either).

Unless a meteor pops out of the sky and rips a hole in the Oasis (which has an even lower probability of happening than winning the lottery plus getting struck by lightning at the same time).

as we now know, there can be lots of human error on modern cruise ships..... :(

and while there are no icebergs, there are rocks that can tear immense holes in a ship...

as we now know, there can be lots of human error on modern cruise ships..... :(

and while there are no icebergs, there are rocks that can tear immense holes in a ship...

There can be disasters, but odds are nothing that would prevent 2/3 of the passengers from being able to be rescued. I hate that I can't hear about the Costa incident without someone comparing it to the Titanic. There are many other incidents that compare better, there were only 5 deaths, not 1500. (still a lot, but to be fair some larger ships have morgues that can hold 5 people, because it's not uncommon for a few people to die of natural causes during a typical 7-night cruise).

Only two. Cost cutting, you know.

Seriously, the lifeboats on the smaller ships can hold 150 or more each. Could be Freedom and Oasis class have even larger. Plus, you are counting only the large lifeboats. There are also plenty of liferafts (collapsible; do not necessarily require crew to launch) aboard as well. If the seas were calm and the ship was sinking quickly, I'd probably head to a liferaft rather than a lifeboat.

The life boats on the oasis are almost as large as a semi truck they just look small on the side of that ship

Doesn't look like enough for 6000 passengers plus the crew?

How many fit in a lifeboat? Can't be anymore then 10 or 12 boats on each side is there?

5 total lifeboats. Each holds a dozen people. It's called survival of the fittest, baby.

It is unlikely that any of us is likely to find out, but worrying about a possibility that is so remote is really more than a little bit foolish and totally unnecessary. If that is all anyone has to worry about in their life they are truly blessed.:rolleyes:

Actually, one of my main worries is how am I going to upgrade my CC status ranking when the Mods keep deleting my posts and moving my threads to the desert?

I have a few questions:

Thanks

Very Very credible questions.

I was also wondering; If I sunbathe lying on top of a lifeboat, am I fixated on safety?

I have a few questions:

Thanks

Can I bring my iron onto the lifeboat?

Does the lifeboat have free wifi?

Can I use my iPhone/iPad on the lifeboat?

Will my laptop fit in the safe on the lifeboat?

If I leave a towel or book in my seat and leave for a few hours, will be spot still be there when I get back?

Here are two pics of the inside. There are two levels. Each green and red spot is where a person sits.

lifeboatinside1.jpg[/img]

insideboat2.jpg

So which end of the lifeboat has the dining room?

Do they use MDR policies or MTD policies on the lifeboats?

If you have to use the lifeboats, do they give you tip envelopes for the lifeboat crew?

Archived