RCCL Main Dining reached a new low

the all time low I created this post about was for the staff blatantly trying to cheat me out of a 14.95 steak.

Seriously, though, do you really think the staff was trying to intentionally cheat you? If so, what was the motivation? Do you think a crew member was eating your $14.95 steak? Or do you think there's some corporate conspiracy to save money by cheating the passengers? Just curious what you think really happened. It's not like any staff member is going to pocket the $14.95 that would have been charged to your SeaPass.

It seems most likely just a mistake, to me.

It seems most likely just a mistake, to me.

To be honest, I would also be upset if I ordered the Chops filet, waited almost 1.5 hours to get it, then was served the free daily sirloin. Personally, I think rolloman made a good point with starting this thread. The service he received is not acceptable. I'm sure the rest of his cruise was great.

Like with any complaint thread, the op always has to explain himself, then explain his explanations, and so on until the point was totally forgotten in a midst of flames.

To be honest, I would also be upset if I ordered the Chops filet, waited almost 1.5 hours to get it, then was served the free daily sirloin. Personally, I think rolloman made a good point with starting this thread. The service he received is not acceptable. I'm sure the rest of his cruise was great.

Like with any complaint thread, the op always has to explain himself, then explain his explanations, and so on until the point was totally forgotten in a midst of flames.

I didn't say it was acceptable, but he has repeatedly used language such as the above, where he says the staff was "blatantly trying to cheat" him. He seems to really believe it was intentional.

To be honest, I would also be upset if I ordered the Chops filet, waited almost 1.5 hours to get it, then was served the free daily sirloin. I have no dispute with you or rolloman there. But I don't see where anyone would really have any incentive to intentially cheat him out of the steak he ordered. Why would someone blatantly TRY to cheat him? That's my question, and I was curious if he had a theory, other than it being a mistake.

Like with any complaint thread, one can't ask for any clarification, without someone (usually several someones) whining about "flames."

I guess if it was merely just a "mistake" then it is more acceptable that a "deliberate mistake."

Frankly, the food and service in the MDR on my last cruise on the IOS was so poor, that we are not taking any formal or dress clothes for our next cruise. The food in the Windjammer was superior to most of the items served in the MDR. To get all dressed for dinner, and have it of such poor quality, was a letdown to say the least.

Happy Cruising,

TnT

I didn't say it was acceptable, but he has repeatedly used language such as the above, where he says the staff was "blatantly trying to cheat" him. He seems to really believe it was intentional.

To be honest, I would also be upset if I ordered the Chops filet, waited almost 1.5 hours to get it, then was served the free daily sirloin. I have no dispute with you or rolloman there. But I don't see where anyone would really have any incentive to intentially cheat him out of the steak he ordered. Why would someone blatantly TRY to cheat him? That's my question, and I was curious if he had a theory, other than it being a mistake.

Like with any complaint thread, one can't ask for any clarification, without someone (usually several someones) whining about "flames."

This is my last post on the subject, as a courtesy to others I will answer your question. When I ordered the steak, the waiter tryed to talk me out of it. First he said the other steak on the menu was good, I said I wanted the Filet. He then stated it will probably take awhile. I said fine, although not knowing at the time "awhile" meant 1.5 hours. Everyones meal came out before mine. It is my belief time was running out as our table was one of the few left and we were not even on the main course. The decision was made to try and pull this off. After hearing a couple other posters say this is not uncommon, it has removed any tiny chance of doubt that remained. So there you have it, I am done with you. Please read the terms of service regarding name calling on this website.

Please read the terms of service regarding name calling on this website.

Did I call anyone names? Sorry if I did or if something I said made you feel that I had called you a name. I've seen a few comments about the filet from other posters on this thread, but all the ones I've seen have ranged from it being really good to it taking a long time, but otherwise being very good.

Not that I'm doubting you that there have been others with similar problems to yours, but it doesn't seem to be very common. Sorry yours was screwed up.

Edit: I remember now that I did call you a hypocrite earlier, but that's only because you were being nasty to another poster who simply made a point that you disagreed with. You were way out of line on that, and your behavior there, while preaching to others about their own behavior seemed hypocritical. You were trying to discredit him, by claiming that he was trying to discredit others. You accused him of fabrication, while fabricating that he had said something that he never actually said. If you can't see the hypocrisy, you might want to just meditate on it a bit.

I was on the April 3rd sailing of the Indy as well. I definitely felt it was one of the worst dining experiences we have had on a cruise. The dining room was packed and we were in a table pushed in the corner between the server's station and a staff office. People were walking in and out of the office during our dinner...it was very weird.

We were seated with some CC members and their daughter and her friend had the soda cards. They requested soda the first night and it didn't come until dinner was almost over. My water glass was frequently empty with no servers in sight. Our server was okay, but the assistant was pretty clueless. Bar service was erratic with the server sometimes coming once or twice and then sometimes not until we were done eating. The bar server was also very unfriendly and one night the two husbands at the table got tired of waiting for her to come (we had already asked our server to find her) and they went out to the bar and brought us in something. They are shooting themselves in the foot here.....people want to drink during dinner....have plenty of bar servers.

There were some nights that nothing appealed to me and I am so NOT hard to please. There was nothing that was just delicious or wowed us. Everything was okay. I heard many times how no one was looking forward to going to Europe and how they were planning to transfer ships when they could. It seemed there was general discontent under the surface although everyone was friendly and smiling.

We didn't let it get us down or feel a need to complain (I am very sensitive to complaining about those bringing us our food and we liked our tablemates and didn't want to swtich tables), but it was a little surprising.

I heard many times how no one was looking forward to going to Europe and how they were planning to transfer ships when they could. It seemed there was general discontent under the surface although everyone was friendly and smiling.

I was on the Feb 20 sailing of Indy and just wanted to back up what you stated. I was talking with a couple of crew members who said many of the crew were unhappy with moving to Europe. They gave me several reasons. Three of them were that they prefer US dollars for tips rather than pounds or euros. The other was that they were not much looking forward to sailing out of Britain in Winter. And another was that crew form the Caribbean will have much less chance to see their families.

I was on the Feb 20 sailing of Indy and just wanted to back up what you stated. I was talking with a couple of crew members who said many of the crew were unhappy with moving to Europe. They gave me several reasons. Three of them were that they prefer US dollars for tips rather than pounds or euros. The other was that they were not much looking forward to sailing out of Britain in Winter. And another was that crew form the Caribbean will have much less chance to see their families.

Another reason is the crew feels they aren't tipped as well when sailing out of Europe. Many Americans are notorious over tippers while some European cultures don't believe in tipping at all. Or very little.

Another reason is the crew feels they aren't tipped as well when sailing out of Europe. Many Americans are notorious over tippers while some European cultures don't believe in tipping at all. Or very little.

Same as Australia - tipping is pretty much non-existent, just round up the number. When we were on Rhapsody, there were two wine lists - one for Americans and one for everybody else, that included the 15% gratuity. They also added the tip in the spa. I think they also included the waitstaff/cabin stewards in the cruise fare. Doing that in Europe might make the crew happier...

Archived