Ultimate Balcony Dinner

choochella

We normally book insides on the Lido deck, since we love being on the same deck as the pool. But on our next cruise coming up, we received a great deal on a balcony. Booked a BG guarantee, and was upgraded to a BB on the Caribe deck!!

Since we will be sailing during my birthday, my DH was thinking of doing the UBD. How does it compare to going to one of the specialty restaurants like the Crown Grill or Sabatini's? Do you have a choice of entree for the UBD? It would be nice to have a choice. Is it worth the $$50pp?

I know that the Caribe balconies are half open, half covered. Would you have much privacy on your balcony doing the UBD? Anyone?

We love the UBD experience and it's been one of the highlights of each cruise for us. I don't remember ordering from a menu...I believe we were asked if we wanted steak, lobster..or both! We started with a cocktail, appetizers (big plate of canapes), a big salad and then the steak and lobster...followed by a delish dessert and an assortment of small specialty cookies. The table set up with linens and flowers was beautiful and the waiters treat you like royalty. It's very romantic and IMHO totally worth the $100. I think your balcony would be the perfect set up. Enjoy!

My wife and I did the UBD last month on the Golden for our anniversary and loved it. Yes, they give you a (limited) choice, but I heard somewhere on this board that you can ask for anything the chef can get his hands on. Two nights before our planned UBD I had Tilapia for dinner and loved it, so the next morning I called our UBD contact and asked him if I could get the Tilapia again. He checked and called me back and said no problem. Basically I think you can ask for anything on any menu and if they have some they'll get it for you.

The UBD was very nice, very romantic and we had great conversations with both of our waiters. We'll be doing it again I'm sure.

IMHO, the UBD beats either the CG or Sabatinis hands down. The steak melted in your mouth and the lobster tail was the biggest I've ever had.....

4031474093_6f4cf4c97a.jpg

Bob

I agree. The filet I had on the UBD was many times better than any I've had in Sterlings or Crown Grill!! It was without a doubt the very best meal we've ever had on a ship! Also, as well as getting to keep the fresh flowers for the duration of the cruise, a photo is also included with your UBD!

I agree. The filet I had on the UBD was many times better than any I've had in Sterlings or Crown Grill!! It was without a doubt the very best meal we've ever had on a ship! Also, as well as getting to keep the fresh flowers for the duration of the cruise, a photo is also included with your UBD!

Totally agree.....:):):)

Bob

We had the Ultimate Balconey Dinner on the Sapphire Princess and loved it! We also did the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast. It was awesome as well, but the food they brought could've fed 6 people!

I would highly recommend that you try the UBD or the UBB - either or both will be a trip highlight for you both.

We plan on doing the UBD on the Star Princess - We leave next week!! :D

Enjoy and Smooth Sailing Always!

We also had the UBD omg. We had lunch that day what a mistake. Boy do you get food. After our canapes we also had crab quiche before the salad. What do you get for the UBB??? I think it is well worth the money. We will be doing it again.

Our first UBD last month on Crown. Huge aft cabin balcony Baja 749.

Not sure about Caribe balconies.

The food was great. Surf and Turf, cocktail and then Champagne.

I will skip the salad next cruise though. Too much salad.

Filet is my favorite and texture was perfect.

We will do this once every cruise. Go for it.

:cool::cool:

We just did this a few weeks back and we were on the Caribe deck. One time we heard someone from above make a comment, but that was it (they went back inside). We had dinner at 6:30, so many people were either eating somewhere or doing other things, not hanging out on the balcony watching us eat. :)

I thank everyone for their replies. I knew I could count on the CC'ers to give me an answer. But, one more question. What type of attire do you wear? Do you need to dress formal? What would be appropriate?

We actually did this on April 7th on the Grand. It was awesome. Someone very recently posted a suggestion to make sure you have CASH on hand because you cannot add tip to the bill!!!! Great suggestion--fortunately we had cash.

DH is allergic to shellfish. The night before, the supervisor of room service will come and visit you. He showed us the menu and let DH pick anything he wanted...

It was AWESOME. Sadly, I wasn't even able to eat half of my lobster. I would do it again in a heartbeat. That and the Chef's Table experiences were two highlights.

Tip how you feel, but I've read that some people actually tipped $100! We were not that generous--but DH did give her $40 (had planned on $20) because the service was SOOOOOOOOOOO awesome. But the important take away is that you can't add tip to bill so be prepared to have cash on hand.

You won't regret it....we had a totally covered balcony, but I can't imagine that someone would have the audacity to "watch" the event!

Dawn

We also had the UBD omg. We had lunch that day what a mistake. Boy do you get food. After our canapes we also had crab quiche before the salad. What do you get for the UBB??? I think it is well worth the money. We will be doing it again.

As near as I can recall, the UBB had various pastries, croissants, lox & cream cheese, loads of fresh fruit, two different types of quiche, sausages, cheeses, something with shrimp (can't remember what..?), juices, a split of champagne, and coffee or tea. It was 2007 when we were on the Sapphire Princess that we had it, so my memory is a bit foggy on just exactly what was included. I'm sure it has changed somewhat since then. Things usually do.....!

We did the UBD on the Tahitian in 2008, and it was wonderful. We're doing it again when we sail on the Star next week! So glad to hear it is still as wonderful as we remember. :D

I thank everyone for their replies. I knew I could count on the CC'ers to give me an answer. But, one more question. What type of attire do you wear? Do you need to dress formal? What would be appropriate?

Robes!

Actually DW put one on when it got chilly. :)

Anything you wish.

I see that this includes two private waiters. How does this work? Surely they don't stay there on your balcony while you're eating.

Don't worry about it....they have this worked out to a "t." Seriously. There were two waiters, but we only saw one for the majority of the time...the ass't waiter only during set up. That's why DH just gave the full tip to the waiter we saw all the time and whatever she saw fit to share, well, that was up to her because we didn't see him but 5 minutes. She was awesome.

This was the first cruise in 10 that we did not lug our formal wear. So, like many, we did this on formal night. We were not in formal wear, obviously. You can wear your bathing suit if you want to, but remember, a photographer is sent up to your room for a picture that is included in the package.

Dawn

I see that this includes two private waiters. How does this work? Surely they don't stay there on your balcony while you're eating.

One waiter is constantly running back and forth from the kitchen for the next course and the other usually stays in your room with the curtian closed or out in the hallway if you do not have a balcony room. They really do have it down to a science and seem be there right when needed.

Archived