Is a price drop (post final payment) ever issued back to the credit card?

tiffnco

I was just on the phone to my TA since there was a price drop on my upcoming sailing. Final payment was just this past Sunday - and it is showing up on my statement.

Anyway, my agent confirmed the new price drop (resident rate) but tells me that I will receive the $100 as a refund on my credit card.

According to what I've read on the boards, I was expecting to get this in the form of a OBC since we're past final payment.

Has anyone had experience with the credit being issued back to the card?

I just have a feeling that there will be a lot of monitoring on my part to make sure this credit does happen. I won't feel comfortable until I get the new statement from my TA...:confused:

Only experience with a price drop after final payment has been an OBC for the price drop. Did have price drops before final payment that were reflected on the Voucher and in the final payment amount.

Personally, I'd not spend a lot of time monitoring your CC - have the TA send you the new voucher reflecting the price drop and enjoy getting ready for the cruise. There is a good chance it will be an OBC...just my guess not being a TA and not knowing your specific situation. But as you say, that is what is the usual approach. You'll end up checking daily on something that doesn't occur and it ends up an OBC (takes a few days on board ship for the OBC's to fully show up also - my experience).

Denny

We had a $200 price drop 2 days after final payment and it showed up as an OBC. As stated, ask for an updated invoice from your TA or Celebrity, they should send you one by e mail reflecting the amount of the OBC.

Only experience with a price drop after final payment has been an OBC for the price drop. Did have price drops before final payment that were reflected on the Voucher and in the final payment amount.

Personally, I'd not spend a lot of time monitoring your CC - have the TA send you the new voucher reflecting the price drop and enjoy getting ready for the cruise. There is a good chance it will be an OBC...just my guess not being a TA and not knowing your specific situation. But as you say, that is what is the usual approach. You'll end up checking daily on something that doesn't occur and it ends up an OBC (takes a few days on board ship for the OBC's to fully show up also - my experience).

Denny

I talked with a representative from the Captain's Club about this. She told me that it would be issued as an on board credit and if we didn't use the credit it would be refunded to us. We'll see because I have $240.00 in credit coming on a cruise in May 2010.:)

We received one price drop on OBC and the second one was put back on our credit card - TA said the cruiseline made the mistake becasuse they usually only give OBC. It showed up on my credit card statement the next day. Good luck.

Hi all,

So we did book through a TA and I'm happy to say I did already get the new cruise statement reflecting the resident rate. This statement isn't an invoice showing payments received - rather it's the "Booking Confirmation" direct from Celebrity.

I feel better now that I have this document...and I have a feeling I"ll be taking both copies with me showing what I paid vs. what my last "confirmation" states...although I'm slightly concerned in that this "confirmation" doesn't reflect a final payment being received. It just states that the deposit was received and that final payment is due XXX. I do however have the charge for final payment on my credit card - so I'm not concerned about this (but I suppose the question is, should I be?)

Anyway, I'm not going to stress about the whole thing...and hopefully the $100 shows up one way or another...:p

Good approach and very good you have the Celebrity Booking Confirmation. There have been some thread discussions on someone not making full payment (or at least they saying they didn't) and being stopped at boarding. Not to 'relive' that thread, but it sounded like if they had been given the Celebrity voucher/confirmation, it would have worked a bit better.

Recently, we've been booking directly with Celebrity, but sounds like your TA has a good handle on it and all is working well. Enjoy! and enjoy that extra $100.

I always love the price drops - didn't get them in earlier cruises, but our two '09 cruises had a number of them and we loved it - paid what I thought the cruises were worth to us, and then they gave us money back - and insisted on it! And I was so very gracious and accepted it. We got an OBC on our E Med cruise that basically paid for our OB charges - we ran up a bill of $7.95 as final payment.

Denny

Celebrity used to give price drops that you notified them about as a credit to your credit card - both before and after final payment. But sometime this year (I think it was this year -I know that it wasn't that long ago), they changed price drops after final payment to OBC.

Celebrity used to give price drops that you notified them about as a credit to your credit card - both before and after final payment. But sometime this year (I think it was this year -I know that it wasn't that long ago), they changed price drops after final payment to OBC.

Our post-final payment that went to an OBC was in Sep 09 for the Nov 09 Solstice E Med and Dec 09 TA.

Denny

Unlike some other OBCs, the credit for a price drop will be returned to your credit card if not used. If you have other credits, such as stockholder or onboard booking, they will be charged first since they are not refundable and lost if not used.

Until about summer or fall last year, Celebrity would refund post-final payment price reductions to your credit card, but the policy changed, and price reductions are now reflected as on-board credits.

However, if you do not use all or part of the on-board credit, it will be refunded to your credit card at the end of the cruise.

Okay, bear with me. I am kind of a newbie in cruising. I understand before final payment, cruiselines always honor price drop because we can always cancel to receive a full refund of the deposit. After the final payment, will the cruiseline, in this case X, continue to honor the difference by either a refund or OBC? A refund is nice but I can always spend the OBC.

Archived