All Things Fantasy

NCTribeFan

Any suggestions as to arrival time at the port? The Port of Charleston website says check in begins at noon. We are platinum and love to get on the ship as early as possible. Any tips or recommendations?

Thanks!

I get there about 10 and there is already people wanting to board. They let you drop you bags off. Sometimes you can go ahead and get in line and they will start boarding soon. Sometimes it isn't until noon.

I can't believe people are letting this wonderful, helpful, informative thread languish.

And I'm not just saying that because I started it several years ago. No really! :p

Anyway, I recently booked another cruise on Fantasy but it isn't for well over a year from now.

For those who want to know what the cabin configurations are like, whether there's a sofa, or a fridge, or other such things, I go to cruisedeckplans dot com. You can do some browsing and find a page that will take you to cabins by deck. Select your deck, and you can then see exactly what is in your particular cabin.

It's a very useful site. I also like their page where you can drag decks to see if your cabin is above a club or under the galley or the Lido pool - any place where there might be noise that could be bothersome when trying to sleep.

In reality, I'm semi-hoping that Fantasy will be replaced by another ship in Charleston by the time I sail from there again. I love the old gal, but wouldn't be too upset if she were replaced. I haven't sailed her since Risa left. I typically don't notice CDs unless they're really annoying, but I liked her. Will be interesting to see how things have changed under a different CD.

Risa is my all time favorite cd. It must be a southern thing.

This is not a response with shops or things to do on the Fantady, but just about our special memories of it.

We went on Fantasy for our first cruise in 1992 when she was still new. Years later when she sailed out of Mobile I booked the same cabin for our 25th anniversary and we renewed our vows. We've been on many cruises, but Fantasy will ALWAYS be special to us. It's a great ship and I hope we sail her again!

You may want to read back a few pages. There should be plenty of comments about boarding. Or maybe those are all on the East Coast Departures page in the thread(s) about Charleston.

It's a very different boarding experience in Charleston. Very old, small terminal that has to have returning passengers cleared out before it can be converted over for the new ones, so arriving early is pointless. There's nowhere for you to go and you could end up sitting/standing outside (maybe) under a tent for quite a long time.

Everyone is shuttled to the terminal. I actually think they do a fantastic job given the limitations. But there really is no reason to arrive early. I did a B2B and had friends/family joining me for Leg 2. They drove down and didn't arrive until about 2:30 and walked right on.

Our flight comes into Chatleston at 11am and we would like to head straight to the ship. I was wondering if we can get on the ship, put our stuff away and then get back off the ship for a couple hours to check out the town before it sails?

Has anyone tried this? And was it a huge hassle?

Thanks!

Our flight comes into Chatleston at 11am and we would like to head straight to the ship. I was wondering if we can get on the ship, put our stuff away and then get back off the ship for a couple hours to check out the town before it sails?

Has anyone tried this? And was it a huge hassle?

Thanks!

Uh, I really don't think there will be enough time for this to happen. I've been on Fantasy about 8 times, and am usually one of the first to get aboard. Once dropping off my carry on in the cabin, and grabbing a quick lunch, its time to watch the last few people come aboard.

I think Risa was my least favorite CD, Paul is wonderful and fun. I too, am hoping they move Fantasy anywhere and bring in a different ship.

I get there about 10 and there is already people wanting to board. They let you drop you bags off. Sometimes you can go ahead and get in line and they will start boarding soon. Sometimes it isn't until noon.

Thank you for your info. We love to get on the ship and start the vacation as soon as we can! But I also don't like waiting in line!!!

On our last cruise from Charleston we arrived at 1230 and it was very crowded but was still less the an hour from the time we pulled into the port until we were onboard

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I'm thinking we might aim to get there around 11:30. We are driving to Charleston the night before, so we can always sight-see a bit in the morning before heading over to the port. Then get lunch on board?!

You may want to read back a few pages. There should be plenty of comments about boarding. Or maybe those are all on the East Coast Departures page in the thread(s) about Charleston.

It's a very different boarding experience in Charleston. Very old, small terminal that has to have returning passengers cleared out before it can be converted over for the new ones, so arriving early is pointless. There's nowhere for you to go and you could end up sitting/standing outside (maybe) under a tent for quite a long time.

Everyone is shuttled to the terminal. I actually think they do a fantastic job given the limitations. But there really is no reason to arrive early. I did a B2B and had friends/family joining me for Leg 2. They drove down and didn't arrive until about 2:30 and walked right on.

Thanks for the tips. I tried to research before I posted, but I kept finding lots of inapplicable info. Your post is very helpful in explaining the "whys" of the suggestion noon arrival time. Do you think an 11:30 arrival would be good? Thanks again!

We are getting on the Fantasy this weekend! For those that might have sailed on her in 2015, I assume she did not get the American Table menu and is offering much the same as the menus someone posted from September ? We signed up for the flexible dining for the first time so we will see how that goes.

How is the Serenity Deck? Always full? We like that concept and will be using it often.

How is the Serenity Deck? Always full? We like that concept and will be using it often.

One disappointing thing is around 10pm they close the hot tubs on the Serenity deck on our last cruise DW and i were enjoying them and were told they close at 10pm

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

In October, we got to the pier at about 11:15, got right on the shuttle and had only about 10 people in front of us to check in. I had FTTF but my friends did not. We all boarded together. It was a quick boarding process but I bet it would be a huge PITA when there are long lines and delays.

In October, we got to the pier at about 11:15, got right on the shuttle and had only about 10 people in front of us to check in. I had FTTF but my friends did not. We all boarded together. It was a quick boarding process but I bet it would be a huge PITA when there are long lines and delays.

mzlinda,

Did you drive to the port? We are driving. I'm thinking we'll aim for an 11:15 or 11:30 arrival, so we can do a little sight-seeing in the morning before heading over to the port.

Thanks for your information!

We are getting on the Fantasy this weekend! For those that might have sailed on her in 2015, I assume she did not get the American Table menu and is offering much the same as the menus someone posted from September ? We signed up for the flexible dining for the first time so we will see how that goes.

planetcadillac,

Will you let us know about your arrival at the port? I'd love any advice or tips you have.

Thanks!

We've been on the "first" shuttle bus and we have been on others later but the thing I've learned about Charleston is to see "where" the Fantasy has been previously before coming home.

Let me explain. The last time, I believe Nov 15, 2014, they held the car queue so that nobody moved at all until 1215 or so. By then the cars were queued outside where Charleston PD stands {a long way}. We were drop offs so we basically went to the front of the line versus those that needed to park their car. We got out of the car and sat on a big bus, not a 20 passenger gitney but a BIG one for another 30 minutes or so.

I asked at the Purser's desk later what the hold up was about and they explained that Fantasy was in Nassau for the concert and left really late. Hmm, late leaving, late guests getting off, late cleaning rooms. At least it was a beautiful day because we could see :rolleyes: the ship and we were in-line. :p

So in this rambling, when you check & see that there is some sort of concert on the cruise before yours please expect to have delays getting on board. But hey, you are on vacation :p

You can track the Fantasy's GPS position & progress on any cruise and see both the forward and lido cameras at http://ships.carnivalentertainment.com/#ship/carnival-fantasy/cameras

This way you can look on your smartphones or computers to see when she gets "really" into port so you can plan accordingly.

Cheers. :)

We missed Risa on our last Fantasy cruise... loved her!

I glad they have a permanent CD, I'm sure Paul is fine...

Bob - Paul isn't permanent. Sailed with him in Jan. and asked him how long he was on. He is a floater for different ships covering vacations. He said he's on until end of March (I will see him again in 3 weeks). He was a good director when sailed during super bowl

We've been on the "first" shuttle bus and we have been on others later but the thing I've learned about Charleston is to see "where" the Fantasy has been previously before coming home.

Let me explain. The last time, I believe Nov 15, 2014, they held the car queue so that nobody moved at all until 1215 or so. By then the cars were queued outside where Charleston PD stands {a long way}. We were drop offs so we basically went to the front of the line versus those that needed to park their car. We got out of the car and sat on a big bus, not a 20 passenger gitney but a BIG one for another 30 minutes or so.

I asked at the Purser's desk later what the hold up was about and they explained that Fantasy was in Nassau for the concert and left really late. Hmm, late leaving, late guests getting off, late cleaning rooms. At least it was a beautiful day because we could see :rolleyes: the ship and we were in-line. :p

So in this rambling, when you check & see that there is some sort of concert on the cruise before yours please expect to have delays getting on board. But hey, you are on vacation :p

Can you please explain exactly how this port works? If we are taking a taxi in from the airport directly to the Charleston port, is there a way to drop off our bags so that they go on to the ship and we go site seeing for a bit before we check in ourselves?

Thanks!

You can track the Fantasy's GPS position & progress on any cruise and see both the forward and lido cameras at http://ships.carnivalentertainment.com/#ship/carnival-fantasy/cameras

This way you can look on your smartphones or computers to see when she gets "really" into port so you can plan accordingly.

Cheers. :)

Thanks so much for posting this!

Can you please explain exactly how this port works? If we are taking a taxi in from the airport directly to the Charleston port, is there a way to drop off our bags so that they go on to the ship and we go site seeing for a bit before we check in ourselves?

Thanks!

The dock is on the Cooper River quite near the tip of Charleston. It is also just off Market Street where the famous shops and straw market reside. I would imagine :confused: and I must put the caveat that I have no direct experience with this method, your taxi could go through the queue and say they were just "dropping off" which would bring you to the front of the line.

You would have dropped your "checked luggage" at a prior "station" before you got to the final point where you leave your taxi. But this changes. I am not trying to confuse you but you check in with Charleston PD before you enter the property. Drive around randomly placed K rails http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_barrier that force you into a queue before three stations or so. But you can breathe easy at this point the ship is very close and visible, the end is near, you're on vacation. :D One time they had checked luggage drop-off before the boarding pass check {I'd say before the first station}, the last time Nov 2014 it was not that way, it had reverted to the "old" way where if you were a "drop off" your bags were given to the baggage handlers just before you boarded the bus to the ship at the last stop {third station}.

You do know if you don't check everything you will have to drag it around while you do the tourist thing? If you are bringing soda or water that has to be in your carry on! There won’t be anyplace to just “leave” your bags unless you want to see it later on the news when Charleston PD and their robot disarm the unattended bags.

Anyway, this is an assumption, you have checked all your luggage and have easy to carry luggage to lug {tote} around while you visit Market Street will be just to the right after the final drop off area {really close}. I don't believe anyone will stop you but as pedestrians, but getting back through that gate you will need your passport and your boarding pass and all your party will have to be together. Then you will have to board the bus to the ship, DON"T just walk out to it or you will be turned around.

I hope that makes sense. Perhaps someone else can post if they have put on their checked luggage and then visited the Holy City?

Edited by tip.n.ring
It picked up the quote font instead of mine