All Things Fantasy

NCTribeFan

Oh, I agree... I enjoy the Fantasy and have been on her 5 (or is it 6?) times also. Just wondering aloud. I sure hope that some ship comes to Charleston as a regular starting in May of 2016... it would be a shame to lose that weekly (sort of) ship in port. I wonder if the Ports Authority is in talks with other lines?

NCL has already committed to using Charleston as a home port "as soon as the new terminal is built". Please see https://www.southernenvironment.org/cases-and-projects/balancing-cruise-ship-growth-charleston-charm

We have I believe 10 or so on the Fantasy and consider her still the finest in the fleet. Thank God for Mario and Luigi the and all the Italian crew for keeping her in such fine operational ship shape ;)

The BIG elephant in the room is when you look around Charleston you will see flags and banners with the Carnival Whale Tale stack with the virgule around them

AntiCruise.jpgurl?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cruiselawnews.com%2Ftags%2Fcharleston%2F&ei=-_8uVebuBYGjsQXKnoHYCA&bvm=bv.91071109,d.cWc&psig=AFQjCNGCd-8DgfvI6xuM-lVQktFuVyj1-g&ust=1429229889912118url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cruiselawnews.com%2Ftags%2Fcharleston%2F&ei=-_8uVebuBYGjsQXKnoHYCA&bvm=bv.91071109,d.cWc&psig=AFQjCNGCd-8DgfvI6xuM-lVQktFuVyj1-g&ust=1429229889912118

AR-120709790.jpg&maxw=800&q=90

So your call...pro and con. They want it the way it was, about 154 years ago, y'all figure out that date :D

When I was in Chas over the Easter weekend there was an article in the paper about them looking into an alternate location for the terminal. If they are still in that phase, it seems like it could easily be a decade away. I really don't mean to prompt a debate over the Chas terminal, I am only speaking to it in terms of how it affects the choice of ship (or no ship) the company docks there.

Also, to continue with my prediction, since the Fascination is only scheduled in San Juan through October 2016, maybe it will be the one to come to Chas in Nov 2016. The announcement yesterday sure didn't divulge much. Hopefully we will know the rest of the story soon. Trying to book a family cruise next year but no information past April!

There has been a link around for a while now that had a listing for a ship for sale that fit the fantasy's description. I never put much faith in it that it was true. Until i saw this. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990/Cruise-Ship%2C-2600-Passenger---Stock-No.-S2152--2792718/United-States

This seems like a legit website.

I got off the Fantasy this past Sunday and most of the crew told us the Fantasy had been sold. One bartender told us there are no crew scheduled at all on the ship for late next year.

I have heard rumors to that effect, faint but persistent for a while now. I HOPE we get a permanent ship after next April!!! Regardless of what type, line, etc.... When NCL left it was sad, then Carnival came and although they were shorter cruises it made it easier to just jump on and do a quick cruise.

Now that it seems the Fantasy will be leaving and nothing is replacing her as if yet, the void seems to already be here.... BOO! I guess I will have to book a cruise soon, maybe 2.. YEA!

I kind of doubt there will be anything bigger than fantasy class as long as there is not a permanent terminal. I am not even sure how they are going to handle 50% more passengers with the Sunshine. We actually love Fantasy and have sailed it 5 times, i believe, dating all the way back to 1994. I keep thinking a different ship might be nice but am trying not to think it too hard, as it may be a case of "be careful what you ask for." For example, I dont think Jax got the better end of the deal when they lost Fascination in 2016. I just wonder how much longer Carnival will put up with the pain that is Charleston. Right now, Fantasy sailings are only scheduled through April 2015.

We sailed out of Charleston in on the Carnival Victory which is in the Triumph class and 30,000 tons bigger than the Fantasy class in October 2008. The Sunshine class {renamed from Destiny} is about 1,000 tons more than Triumph class so the size isn't the issue. The problem is that the current terminal is on the water at the end of Market St. which is a touristy area in the Holy City.

I really believe that everyone on the CC boards that cares about cruising out of Charleston needs to send an email weekly if not monthly to the good Mayor at rileyj@charleston-sc.gov

You can read about Mayor Joe's accomplishments on his Wiki page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_P._Riley,_Jr. who has probably, heck no probably about it, done more for the city since 1975 than anyone else in recent or old guard memory.

Send an email, say build the port! He knows thousands of jobs are at stake, cops, baggage handlers, truck drivers, dock workers, and the train of Lancaster Tour buses that takes you the 400 or so feet you could easily walk. :rolleyes:

And of course all our out of town guests just avoid the hotels and motels and jet in at the nick of time, I think not.

Send him something and lets keep Charleston a Carnival embarkation port! :)

I've been told that it's John Heald, as in you are healed, rather than held.

I asked the DW to post "the question" to him on "that other site" and this was his response:

"As you can see I am posting some photos today of the Carnival Fantasy. It is extraordinary to think that the first time I was working on-board this ship was as a young, slim dark haired social host when the ship was brand new ,………Oh FFS……….that was 1990!

How times have changed. Take the Jubilee and Celebration dining rooms, back then they were divided into half non-smoking and half smoking. I know some of you may feel that this ship, this class maybe too small for you compared to Vista, Breeze etc. But that small ship feel allows you to make a new friend who won’t get lost in the crowd but who you will see every day you are on board and that is something rare these days.

OK, maybe the facilities we have on our larger and newer ships are bigger and grander but they do not have that special feeling only a smaller vessel can provide. She has an exciting future with Carnival Cruise Line and thank you to all who have sailed on her and will in the future.

She has many great memories for me………..two huge memories in particular…………….her name was …………….never mind.

ADD ON: Three people have contacted me about a thread on CC that we are selling Fantasy to Costa..........not true at all. She has a bright future in white, red and blue.

cheers"

Well, shall we take it at face value or read between the lines? :rolleyes:

We sailed out of Charleston in on the Carnival Victory which is in the Triumph class and 30,000 tons bigger than the Fantasy class in October 2008.

We did the Triumph out of Charleston some time ago... nice cruise.

I think we could easily get that size ship here.

I'm booked on the 4/30/16 sailing, which currently is that last one showing up in the itineraries, but that may mean nothing.

I have absolutely no problem with there "only" being a Fantasy-class ship in Charleston. I also don't have a problem with the port. It's different, but I think they do a great job with what they have. Just as I don't need more food places (I overeat when I cruise Fantasy without having a Guys or Fish and Chips!), I don't "need" a big, new, fancy building at the pier. I hate the big TVs on other ships. I like the aft Serenity Deck because you don't get the noise from the blaring big TVs like on the Conquest-class.

There seems to be a new "speculation thread" every week about ships and where they're going.

I say let's just enjoy her while she's still part of the fleet.

I think the port updates should be posted on the East Coast Departures board.

While I would definitely like to see another, larger option in Charleston, our family has enjoyed our two cruises on Fantasy (Christmas 2013 and January this year). I would like to get in one more before whatever its fate is, then move to something larger.

We similarly enjoyed cruises on the old Celebration ('07 and '08) before it was sold, so we do like the small ships as well as the larger ones.

While I would definitely like to see another, larger option in Charleston, our family has enjoyed our two cruises on Fantasy (Christmas 2013 and January this year). I would like to get in one more before whatever its fate is, then move to something larger.

We similarly enjoyed cruises on the old Celebration ('07 and '08) before it was sold, so we do like the small ships as well as the larger ones.

The idea that the recently upgraded Fascination (or possibly another Fantasy-class ship) would likely replace Fantasy after next year makes sense. This would be make sense due to the size of the ship, it would be a different ship but the same class.

I posted this elsewhere before I found this forum. We've done a cruise line's "eat Whenever" plan! Anyone who sailed the Fantasy lately what time do you think is the best to get little or no wait time? We like to eat around 6:30or so. Would that work??

Also, Is it true no hair dryers in regular cabins???

I posted this elsewhere before I found this forum. We've done a cruise line's "eat Whenever" plan! Anyone who sailed the Fantasy lately what time do you think is the best to get little or no wait time? We like to eat around 6:30or so. Would that work??

I cant help with the dining question as we always do late seating. But as to the hairdryer there are none but you can ask your cabin steward and they will get you one but they are very basic ones

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I'm not seeing anything for the Fantasy after 4/25/16. I guess the 4/30/16 sailing already sold out? If so, that's too bad. I would like to be on her last trip. I love that little ship! I guess I'll make due with the 4/25/16 cruise.

We did the your time dining on our last Fantasy cruise in February-you will find 6:30 to be a little busy- we had a particular waiter we wanted so we always had to get a beeper but the wait was never longer than 15 minutes. I have found that if you go on on a odd time like 6:10 or 6:20 your chances are better to get right in. And no dryers in the rooms but you can get one from Guest Services just go early they do go fast.

Blue skies and calm seas!

This is weird - sometimes the 4/30/16 sailing is listed in the search results, and sometimes it's not. At least I found it so I can get my TA to book. It's a 7-night to the St's and HMC! I think it's going to be equally epic and sad.

As I suspected, she's leaving Charleston, heading to Miami in February.

Got the email last night that my 4/30/16 cruise was being changed to Ecstasy. Mildly disappointed that she's only being replaced by another Fantasy-class ship. But I haven't been on Ecstasy, and at least I'll know my way around!

As I suspected, she's leaving Charleston, heading to Miami in February.

Got the email last night that my 4/30/16 cruise was being changed to Ecstasy. Mildly disappointed that she's only being replaced by another Fantasy-class ship. But I haven't been on Ecstasy, and at least I'll know my way around!

I am going to miss her in Charleston. Although she hasn't been the same same since Risa left.

I haven't been on her since Risa left. I'm sure I've said it before (multiple times in multiple places), the CD really doesn't matter much to me. I tend to only notice the really loud, annoying, intrusive ones (yes, Jen Baxter, this means you! :p ).

But I liked Risa. Didn't seem to feel the need to be Head Comic on Board, which is what Carnival seems to want these days, and possibly contributed to her decision to leave.

Anyway, was sort of hoping for an "upgrade" of sorts if they switched to a different class ship, but I'll be happy in my 1A aft on Empress. Quiet back there, easy access to Serenity Deck and Lido.

As much I would love a larger ship in Charleston, I don't think Carnival would do that until a final, final, FINAL decision is made about the port terminal and it is OPEN.

It's taken way too long to get it approved and a larger ship announcement now would only add fuel to the fire for the few people that keep opposing the new terminal.

At least the Ecstacy will be a new ship since Carnival does like to move them around. It does have more balcony rooms than that Fantasy and different shows, correct? As well as a different decor.

As much I would love a larger ship in Charleston, I don't think Carnival would do that until a final, final, FINAL decision is made about the port terminal and it is OPEN.

It's taken way too long to get it approved and a larger ship announcement now would only add fuel to the fire for the few people that keep opposing the new terminal.

At least the Ecstacy will be a new ship since Carnival does like to move them around. It does have more balcony rooms than that Fantasy and different shows, correct? As well as a different decor.

I agree--Carnival probably doesn't want to devote a newer ship to Charleston until the new terminal is built, or at least in the construction phase. Once that's done, Charleston may be the new Port Canaveral -- I'm sure RCCL and possibly NCL will be looking to homeport a ship there with the newly upgraded terminal facilities. Until then, I like their strategy of a homeported Fantasy class ship with the Sunshine visiting.

I have always considered that this thread has dissolved into basically an "all things Charleston" thread, the port issues, the parking, the really weird queue lines to get to the ship,

Alas, the Carnival Ecstacy will be repositioned here 'with balcony staterooms' when the Fantasy repositions to Miami. How cool is that!

So I am at least jumping ship and joining the Ecstasy thread TTFN :D