All Things Fantasy

NCTribeFan

Thanks, Momin5! I like having more floor space.

For five nights we can sleep in single beds! The other question, if you don't mind, I like to read before falling asleep. If you do the L shape does one of the beds line up with one of the reading lights in the right place? I was hoping to have a Kindle Paperwhite by then but in case I don'.....t!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - we're Joe & Wanda from NW Florida....sailing on Nov 1st this year. This site was recommended by Tip N Ring.

We'll be driving from NW Florida....approx. 7 hours. Would REALLY like recommendations for a decent hotel/motel somewhat near the Port. We'll probably try & park at the Port, so we can simply disembark & GO.

Was also thinking about coming up a day early, so we'd have an entire day to explore Charleston. Have driven thru it, but never stopped. Any suggestions for, "If u only have a day, here's what you CANNOT miss seeing." ???

Thanx! Joe

Check the East Coast Departures board. Bob has a great thread there with tons of info about hotels, restaurants, parking, etc.

As for things to do in the ports, I've found many things on the Bahamas board. I did the carriage ride not that long ago and it was fine. I don't snorkel and am not much of a beach person, but there's info there. Ports aren't ship-specific. Goodness knows enough ships stop in the Bahamas!

I guess I'll have to stop contributing to this thread since my next Fantasy cruise isn't going to be on Fantasy. :(

Hi - we're Joe & Wanda from NW Florida....sailing on Nov 1st this year. This site was recommended by Tip N Ring.

We'll be driving from NW Florida....approx. 7 hours. Would REALLY like recommendations for a decent hotel/motel somewhat near the Port. We'll probably try & park at the Port, so we can simply disembark & GO.

Was also thinking about coming up a day early, so we'd have an entire day to explore Charleston. Have driven thru it, but never stopped. Any suggestions for, "If u only have a day, here's what you CANNOT miss seeing." ???

Thanx! Joe

Hi joe, my friend Terry and I will be cruising with you. We're driving to Charleston from Myrtle Beach. I don't have any suggestions but wanted to stop by to say hello. [emoji3]

Check the East Coast Departures board. Bob has a great thread there with tons of info about hotels, restaurants, parking, etc.

As for things to do in the ports, I've found many things on the Bahamas board. I did the carriage ride not that long ago and it was fine. I don't snorkel and am not much of a beach person, but there's info there. Ports aren't ship-specific. Goodness knows enough ships stop in the Bahamas!

I guess I'll have to stop contributing to this thread since my next Fantasy cruise isn't going to be on Fantasy. :(

Ah, In Feb. it will be a new thread to start...

BUT you did get in the water on that "private" island in Nassau for the stingrays, didn't you? Or did you just go watch? I can't remember....

Thanx! Joe

NCTRibe is correct, you can find all kinds of good info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46671609#post46671609

This will give you some great info:

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/

There are options to "park and stay" but can get pricey depending on the time of the year.. With a sailing Date of 11/1 you are looking to stay at a hotel Halloween night.... lots of hotel have parties with stay-overs so I might consider booking sooner than later, but outside of downtown should be fine. Mt. Pleasant would be a good place to look:

https://www.google.com/maps?q=cruise+and+park+hotels+in+mt.+pleasant,+sc&hl=en&ll=32.805168,-79.887943&spn=0.030949,0.066047&sll=32.848248,-79.81622&sspn=0.247472,0.528374&hq=cruise+and+park+hotels&hnear=Mt+Pleasant,+Charleston+County,+South+Carolina&t=m&fll=32.805168,-79.887943&fspn=0.030949,0.066047&z=15

Thanx, much! Will check them out. Appreciate the info. Joe

I just re-read and if parking at the port then you might consider some of the nicer hotels downtown to partake of the sites without driving.

It can be expensive but the Club level rooms include food all day, beer/wine during the day and drinks at night til 10pm (and it's pretty much AI).

https://www.reservations-page.com/c00627/h11366/ov.aspx?psk201=psk201&cmd=post&lg=1&__webpageid=ov-dates&__roomspage=ov-rooms&__nrapage=ov-message&IsMobile=true&__indate_style=YYYYMM_DD&__outdate_style=YYYYMM_DD&__BookingActionMode=NewBooking&pdcheckinyyyymm=201510&pdcheckindd=31&pdcheckoutyyyymm=201511&pdcheckoutdd=01&pdadults=02&__utma=23886121.670005705.1432765188.1432765188.1432765188.1&__utmb=23886121.3.9.1432765205073&__utmc=23886121&__utmx=-&__utmz=23886121.1432765188.1.1.utmcsr=%28direct%29|utmccn=%28direct%29|utmcmd=%28none%29&__utmv=-&__utmk=259018057

Other option downtown are a bit better (in price but no food/drink) and still allow you to be right in the middle of everything:

http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/south-carolina/charleston/days-inn-charleston-historic-district/rooms-rates?srcDestination=&partner_id=&srcBrand=&campaign_code=&compare=false&propId=DI05262&checkout_date=11%2F01%2F2015&children=0&useWRPoints=false&ratePlan=BAR&teens=0&affiliate_id=&brand_code=BH%2CDI%2CRA%2CBU%2CHJ%2CKG%2CMT%2CSE%2CTL%2CWG%2CWY%2CWT%2CWP&iata=&childAgeParam=&adults=2&checkin_date=10%2F31%2F2015&rooms=1

Both would put your right downtown with a short ride to the port, heck you will be able to walk by it in the morning and see the ship in port and people getting off. About 11ish at the latest is when you want to get in line to park:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=32.7871,-79.926691&num=1&t=h&z=18

Above is where you will get in line to drop off luggage and park.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by bobsfamily

We stayed at the Hyatt Place (Airport/Convention Center location). It was great! Fabulous rooms, super clean, great breakfast, the outlet mall and tons of other shopping right behind the hotel. It was a 15 to 20 minute easy drive to port.

We stayed at the Hyatt Place (Airport/Convention Center location). It was great! Fabulous rooms, super clean, great breakfast, the outlet mall and tons of other shopping right behind the hotel. It was a 15 to 20 minute easy drive to port.

The hotel is nice, not sure I would leave my car there for 5 or 7 nights. The area has been changing over the past few years but still there is a lot of industrial areas around you and at night the area can be iffy (late night).

I finally booked a park and cruise hotel! The new Wyndham Garden in Mt Pleasant. It includes parking for the 5 days of the cruise, free wifi, transfer to and from the port and a breakfast buffet, according to TripAdvisor, that is fabulous! The morning of the cruise the shuttle leaves at 11:30 but if you have proof of FTTF purchase it's 10:30. The shuttle loops continuously from the port back to the hotel. Price is $169 ($191 with all the taxes and fees). It is not listed on the CVB website but here's the link if anyone interested. I'll put it on the Home Ports forum also.

http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/south-carolina/mount-pleasant/wyndham-garden-mount-pleasant-charleston/information-special-offers?partner_id=&hotel_id=32014&campaign_code=&propId=WY32014&checkout_date&brand_id=WY&useWRPoints=false&children=0&corporate_id&ratePlan&teens=0&affiliate_id=&iata=&rate_code&adults=1&checkin_date&rooms=1

Edited by fhmoore

I finally booked a park and cruise hotel! The new Wyndham Garden in Mt Pleasant. It includes parking for the 5 days of the cruise, free wifi, transfer to and from the port and a breakfast buffet, according to TripAdvisor, that is fabulous! The morning of the cruise the shuttle leaves at 11:30 but if you have proof of FTTF purchase it's 10:30. The shuttle loops continuously from the port back to the hotel. Price is $169 ($191 with all the taxes and fees). It is not listed on the CVB website but here's the link if anyone interested. I'll put it on the Home Ports forum also.

http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/south-carolina/mount-pleasant/wyndham-garden-mount-pleasant-charleston/information-special-offers?partner_id=&hotel_id=32014&campaign_code=&propId=WY32014&checkout_date&brand_id=WY&useWRPoints=false&children=0&corporate_id&ratePlan&teens=0&affiliate_id=&iata=&rate_code&adults=1&checkin_date&rooms=1

Sounds great! Make sure you have a number to call once back in case the shuttle is not there...

That hotel is very new and is located right at the end of I-526, make sure you do not take the "Georgetown" exit and stay on it til the end.

Bobsfamily....

So you suggest getting off like gong to Myrtle Beach at South of the Border and going over thru Conway??? We will be driving down on a Sunday, won't the traffic be bad going thru the beach towns?

Bobsfamily....

So you suggest getting off like gong to Myrtle Beach at South of the Border and going over thru Conway??? We will be driving down on a Sunday, won't the traffic be bad going thru the beach towns?

No, definitely do not get off the interstate. The interstate will take you directly into Charleston. Take 95 to 26 and follow the signs to Mt. Pleasant to the hotel.

Completely agree, just some people that do the trip regularly have a route ( it involves several back roads) that can theoretically shave some time off.

I wholeheartedly agree with staying on I-95!

I HATE the new Google maps or I would have a link for the route but honestly it's something that unless you know the backroads you would swear you were lost and try to find another way.

I am beginning my search for a good Park 'n Cruise hotel in Charleston for our upcoming cruise on the Fantasy.

DH and I will be driving from SW Ohio, and will arrive the day prior to our November 1, 2015 cruise. We will be staying on Halloween night -- which is why I hope to make my reservations early.

I have JUST started my search. I came across the Sleep Inn in Charleston, SC, which offers a cruise package at a reasonable rate. Has anyone ever stayed here ... what is it like? ... would you recommend it? ... would you recommend leaving a car parked there for a week?

I am open to any suggestions as to any other hotels offering parking and transportation to the cruise port ... thanks in advance!

Debbie

We have booked the Wyndham Garden in Mt Pleasant. The hotel is new (about 8 months old). I investigated to the point of obsession all the Park and Cruise offers that were on the Charleston Visitor's Bureau website. The Wyndham Garden wasn't listed (I guess) since it's so new. The package is a bit more that some and a little cheaper than others. The link below lists what's included. What finalized it for me was it has a fully cooked breakfast (including freshly cooked omelets) and transfers to and from the port. Another perk is if you buy the FTTF deal from Carnival the shuttle leaves at 10:30 instead of the normal 11:3o. It may be affected by your date but our Sunday night July 19 price is $169 ($191 with taxes).

http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/south-carolina/mount-pleasant/wyndham-garden-mount-pleasant-charleston/information-special-offers?cid=whg_wyn_ggl_br_stlnk-hoteloffers&wid=ps:br_whg_stlnk-hoteloffers&002=2195185&006=55535506222&007=Search&008=&009=b&012=%2Bwyndham%20%2Bgarden%20%2Bmount%20%2Bpleasant&010=stlnk-hoteloffers

We have booked the Wyndham Garden in Mt Pleasant. The hotel is new (about 8 months old). I investigated to the point of obsession all the Park and Cruise offers that were on the Charleston Visitor's Bureau website. The Wyndham Garden wasn't listed (I guess) since it's so new. The package is a bit more that some and a little cheaper than others. The link below lists what's included. What finalized it for me was it has a fully cooked breakfast (including freshly cooked omelets) and transfers to and from the port. Another perk is if you buy the FTTF deal from Carnival the shuttle leaves at 10:30 instead of the normal 11:3o. It may be affected by your date but our Sunday night July 19 price is $169 ($191 with taxes).

http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/south-carolina/mount-pleasant/wyndham-garden-mount-pleasant-charleston/information-special-offers?cid=whg_wyn_ggl_br_stlnk-hoteloffers&wid=ps:br_whg_stlnk-hoteloffers&002=2195185&006=55535506222&007=Search&008=&009=b&012=%2Bwyndham%20%2Bgarden%20%2Bmount%20%2Bpleasant&010=stlnk-hoteloffers

THANK YOU ...I'll check it out!

Debbie

We are staying at the Hampton Inn Patriots Point, they have cruise parking but do not believe they have shuttle any longer??? We typically take taxi to port anyway to be dropped off, much less hassle.

Their website still offers the cruise parking with shuttle package when you go to book a room. They hire out the shuttle service.

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

• 2 months later...

We r staying at Hampton inn and suites west Ashley for a total of 225 for parking shuttle room and breakfast. We are going on the 11/1 sailing also! We stayed at holiday inn express on 526 and 17 in January left out car there no problem. Would recommend there but it was more expensive on 10/31. Than the hampton

Edited by aprilbs1960