All about Rum!

Kareberry

Hi!

I'm going on my second cruise in May..so excited! I just wanted to drop a line here for anyone who's a rum connoisseur or know anything about shopping for Rum in St. Maarten or St. Thomas. I'd like to gift a bottle of rum to bring home for a friend, and I wanted to buy a brand that isn't available in Canada/US, can anyone give me some recommendations?

Thanks!

On St Thomas in A.H Riise stores, they have a St Thomas Chocolate Rum. You can sample it before you buy.

If you're looking for a premium, aged rum, you should ask at Riise. I'm not knowledgeable on those.

The chocolate rum is great. We brought it home and I have had it in coffee. We ended up buying some coconut rum after we got home and mix the two with some milk or half and half and serve over ice and it is yummy. In June when we go I am going to get another bottle and see if I can't get a bottle of coconut too. We were in St. Thomas in 2006 and I know there were several flavors made there.

Buy the extra old mt. gay as it's about $16 a ltr in St. M and over $40 in the states. One of the best rums I have found. I don't waste my money on flavored underproof rums. Best shop is right in the center of Phillipsburg on the boardwalk area.

Is the Extra Old Mt. Gay rum about the same price in St. Maartin versus Barbados? I definitely want to buy a bottle but we're in Barbados on Sunday and I'm a little worried that I won't be able to buy it then. I had wanted to tour the Visitor Center, but's obviously out. St. Maarten will be our first stop and I'm making that a shopping and Maho Beach day.

Get a bottle of "Rum Jumbie" ( the bottle shaped like a man with a straw hat ) on the pier in St. Maarten 2 for $32.00..Also on the pier more towards the ship try the coconut slush (they will put a shot of rum in it if you ask)..Yummy !!:p

was cheaper in St. Martin than at the DF shops on the pier in Barbados. When I stayed on BBs it was cheaper in the MG store and they had 1.14 size but can't remember whether they would let us take it or it had to be delivered to plane or ship. Be careful where you buy in STM as there can be a $5 diff. for the same item. The best prices were at the big store rignt up from the shuttle dock.

In St. Martin, buy some Ma Dou Dou rum. Its a flavored rum in beautiful hand-painted bottles. The bottles are very unique and it tastes very good. There are lots of flavors. Our favorites are vanilla and banana. We brought back several bottles as gifts on our last trip to St. Martin.

If you can find Mount Gay Sugar Cane Brandy, it is even better than their fabulous rum. DH loves it, his favorite of all time.

Sugar cane brandy is a rum, pure and simple. I don't know why they call it sugar cane brandy perhaps because it is smooth It is one of the better Bajun rums, very good but not as rich or dark as the their XO which is very delicious. A sipping rum as good as it gets. Both are worthy of purchase wherever you can get them.

I definately consider myself a "Rum snob", even my wife tells me so :) I have a bottle of Cruzan Estate One Barrel which is very smooth and has a nice mellow flavor and taste. More like a fine brandy, rather than a rum. Check the price on this in various places. I paid about $25 for it at AH Riise in 2005. I have seen it sell for as high as $55.00 in hotel stores.

Another favorite of mine is Cruzan Black Strap. Alittle more "harsh" flavor but still a good rum.

My all time favorite is Cruzan 151 Gold. Unfortunately they won't sell it to you anymore to take home and I have one bottle left here I am guarding like Ft Knox. :) Of coruse on Island having 151 in your drink or straight up on the rock ( my favorite way to drink it) isn't a problem.

Scott

oooh I love the Martinque old rhums, especially St James Royal Ambre....not always available in my area. Used to buy it in Houston though.

Nice list of rums to look out for here. DW will go for the bottles, but I'll try to sneak in a good quality sipper or two next month.

This will be out first time flying home after a cruise. We usually are able to drive to and from the port. My question is, if we purchase rum in St Thomas, how do we get it home on our flight?

On St Thomas in A.H Riise stores, they have a St Thomas Chocolate Rum. You can sample it before you buy.

If you're looking for a premium, aged rum, you should ask at Riise. I'm not knowledgeable on those.

Is it creamy? I love chocolate.

...if we purchase rum in St Thomas, how do we get it home on our flight?

You will have to put it in your checked luggage. Try using 2 extra large Ziploc bags per bottle, and then wrap the bottle(s) in clothing inside your suitcase. Some people recommend using bubble wrap as well - another option. Our bottles have always arrived home safely, but you must Ziploc them - any breakage would be all over your clothes, and possibly someone else's suitcases.

No, it's not creamy, but to me that's what makes it so good! It doesn't feel as fattening as those creamy ones like Godiva.:D It's kind of like liquid brownies. I usually drink it over ice. I've been meaning to try it for making rum balls, but those Vanilla Wafers are so expensive for me to experiment with. I'll have to wait until I'm in a splurging mood.

No, it's not creamy, but to me that's what makes it so good! It doesn't feel as fattening as those creamy ones like Godiva.:D It's kind of like liquid brownies. I usually drink it over ice. I've been meaning to try it for making rum balls, but those Vanilla Wafers are so expensive for me to experiment with. I'll have to wait until I'm in a splurging mood.

I'm going to have to try some of that, sounds yummy.

• 2 weeks later...

*ferociously taking notes..*

Thanks for all the suggestions, discussion and tips! I'm sure my friend would prefer the better rums you've all mentioned here...I think I'll keep the flavoured ones for myself...haha..

Archived